TW Nike Free Golf shoes.

TW's name probably made me take notice of the shoe. If it were a slouch like Paul Casey I would not have even looked at them. But when I saw them in store I liked the look of them. I tried on a pair that was a size too large, and it felt pretty comfortable. So I would say Tiger got me to take notice but it's always going to come down to comfort for me. I do not like what you are saying about your issues with the shoe though. Worries me a bit to just spend $150 on a shoe that I have not tried on in my size.

Yeah the padding does stop short of the top of mine also I just went to my car to double check. It's still like a soft leather on the un padded area though. I agree it's strange to say the least but it's not a deal breaker for me personally. I'd be interested to find out what Nike has to say. I wonder if they are thinking it adds more support or they are worried about the laces running up onto your ankle.

Yeah the padding does stop short of the top of mine also I just went to my car to double check. It's still like a soft leather on the un padded area though. I agree it's strange to say the least but it's not a deal breaker for me personally. I'd be interested to find out what Nike has to say. I wonder if they are thinking it adds more support or they are worried about the laces running up onto your ankle.

Good call. I am going to chat with them today about it. Im wearing them to the range today to see about the comfort during some practice.

Good call. I am going to chat with them today about it. Im wearing them to the range today to see about the comfort during some practice.

I wish I could get some more time with them to see if I had any issues but I'm in the middle of champ spike testing. Def let us know if you find anything out. I'm sure there's a reason that Nike left them this way. Either of the two I just thought of could be reasons especially with the materials and way the laces are with these.

With them on the tongue isn't that bad laced up, but the toe wrinkle is strange, it's probably because it's synthetic instead of leather.

June2012013.jpg

June2012015.jpg

June2012012.jpg

Buck, I'm wondering if maybe my shoes are different. The padding of the tongue on mine stops about an inch from the top. Ironically where perhaps the tongue should stop. In this picture that little line is where the padding stops completely. Then its just a thin little piece of "tongue".

a6937b1b-cf3e-439e.jpg

The ones I tried on didn't have that, it was just above my hidden sock line

With them on the tongue isn't that bad laced up, but the toe wrinkle is strange, it's probably because it's synthetic instead of leather.

June2012013.jpg

June2012015.jpg

June2012012.jpg

The ones I tried on didn't have that, it was just above my hidden sock line

Thanks for the pics TB. That kind of confirms how they rub for me and personally I am struggling with it.

FK, that is weird because TB and Buck both are seeing what I am in my picture. Wondering now if maybe the ones you tried might have been different. Who knows really.

TW's name probably made me take notice of the shoe. If it were a slouch like Paul Casey I would not have even looked at them. But when I saw them in store I liked the look of them. I tried on a pair that was a size too large, and it felt pretty comfortable. So I would say Tiger got me to take notice but it's always going to come down to comfort for me. I do not like what you are saying about your issues with the shoe though. Worries me a bit to just spend $150 on a shoe that I have not tried on in my size.

I agree with CL here. Part of my interest is that it's the TW shoe, and part of my interest is that it's based on the Free technology, which I absolutely love. When I'm out and about, it's almost always in my Free running shoes. I haven't found a place with my size (11.5 in most shoes, though I wear 12 in the Free running shoes), so I'm going to hold off for now. However, the black pair continues to look better and better to me as I see more pictures.

I have an honest question for people that have these or are thinking of buying them. If they said Sergio Garcia on the side or were just another release would you be wearing them? I mean this as a genuine question because I am struggling here. I have read through this entire thread and I understand that they are a polarizing product based on the look and it seems as though those that bought them or are buying them are largely the fans of Mr. Woods. Again, this is not a knock on the person or the product, just genuinely curious.

I have tried on a lot of shoes over the past few years and some would say I own a few pairs of golf shoes as well. I am not sure I have worn a shoe that is worse than these and struggle with the entire thing. I understand the technology behind them. I truly do. However just the feel alone has this "paperish" feel to it rather than soft and supple as I believe it should and the toe area wrinkles with in about 2 days. Add to that the heel slippage that seems like it would cause achilles blisters for half the people wearing it due to what seems like a higher back/achilles area. Its not a huge slip, and rather subtle, so it would be hard to notice the first time trying them on I think. Plus the tongue poking out almost a full inch past anything else out there and rubbing against your shin. Now the foot bed is quite comfortable and there is plenty of toe room which is nice, especially those with wide feet. I also like the way they look in person compared to just the pics we have seen. However I am struggling greatly with these definite flaws. These are not flaws that one could say "well everybody is different" in my opinion. These are easy fixable flaws that should have been handled.

I believe right now that Nike puts out some of the best golf shoes in the world and am so surprised at these that I still almost feel like I am missing something. Im genuinely curious with my original question, but in my mind I think that if these were a Paul Casey shoe or a Stephen Ames shoe, nobody thinks twice about buying them if they try them on.

I'd have to say that the fact Tiger wore them first colored me intrigued, and led me to look up as much info on them as I could. The Free technology is really what sold me on them though, the same way the flywire and lunar technology sold me on the lunar controls. I've been a nike shoe homer and buy them almost exclusively for every sport I play plus training/workout shoes. The technology along with the fit I get in nike shoes is what keeps me coming back to them.

I was originally worried about both the tongue and the heel section as they do seem irregularly high and I always wear no-show socks. I thought for a minute that the tongue was supposed to fold down over the laces, kind of like some soccer or baseball shoes. However, after walking 5 rounds with them already, I havent noticed any uncomfortable rubbing. The worst thing about the tongue that I've noticed is that little bits of sand/dirt will get caught underneath it between my ankle and the tongue, but thats it. I havent had any issues with the heel.

I can say without any hesitation that the balance I've gained with these shoes far outweighs the (IMO) small design flaws. I'm hoping that with some of the feedback Nike gets, the next version of the free's will be even better.

I would of got them either way. Any of the Nike golf players or shoe designers could of asked for a free type shoe, it just happened to be Tiger to bring it up. I actually thought about taking a black sharpie to the TW on the heel and the tongue, just for a cleaner look.

So I just spent a couple of hours with these and while I love many of the Nike shoes as you guys know, these are definitely not my cup of tea. The tongue rubbing against my leg is one thing, but I also find the back to be equally troubling for me and rubs a little bit too high. Then add to that the wrinkling of the toe bed and the entire shoe feeling cheap to me while wearing it and its just not for me. I will stick to the Lunars for comfort personally.

So I just spent a couple of hours with these and while I love many of the Nike shoes as you guys know, these are definitely not my cup of tea. The tongue rubbing against my leg is one thing, but I also find the back to be equally troubling for me and rubs a little bit too high. Then add to that the wrinkling of the toe bed and the entire shoe feeling cheap to me while wearing it and its just not for me. I will stick to the Lunars for comfort personally.

JB do you think the lunars offer more support? I felt they were to flimsy for me. Which was why I was so surprised I felt like these had more support. Or are you talking about the lunar controls?

TW's name probably made me take notice of the shoe. If it were a slouch like Paul Casey I would not have even looked at them.

That's why Nike pays Tiger the big bucks LOL.

I'm sure there's a lot of good tech that's gone into the Free. But the look doesn't appeal to me.

As the Nike Lunar Controls are incredibly light, comfortable, offer great stability/traction, and look great (to me), I'm passing on the Frees.

JB, I havent seen these in person, but they sound almost like basketball shoe style.

JB do you think the lunars offer more support? I felt they were to flimsy for me. Which was why I was so surprised I felt like these had more support. Or are you talking about the lunar controls?

I do think they offer far more support. However this technology will help people I believe. The footbed is comfy and the shoe is roomy. I just cannot get over the tongue and the paper like feel. Its like they took "Pleather" and made it feel even worse.

Thanks for the pics TB. That kind of confirms how they rub for me and personally I am struggling with it.

FK, that is weird because TB and Buck both are seeing what I am in my picture. Wondering now if maybe the ones you tried might have been different. Who knows really.

Those are some relatively big shoe tongues. For me, the shoes look a little like orthopedic/correction shoes.

I do think they offer far more support. However this technology will help people I believe. The footbed is comfy and the shoe is roomy. I just cannot get over the tongue and the paper like feel. Its like they took "Pleather" and made it feel even worse.

Yeah it's a shame something that really isn't that important and could be easily fixed is a deal breaker for you. Maybe this will be fixed in the future if they continue the model.

After seeing this picture:

June2012015.jpg

I can't help but wonder how these look any different than TRUE's from this angle?

After seeing this picture:

June2012015.jpg

I can't help but wonder how these look any different than TRUE's from this angle?

They do look very different TC. In fact in my opinion, the Nikes look far better. However given that you think these are "fugly", Im kind of surprised that you have been thinking about getting the Trues?

They do look very different TC. In fact in my opinion, the Nikes look far better. However given that you think these are "fugly", Im kind of surprised that you have been thinking about getting the Trues?

The TRUE's are fugly. But from everywhere but here they seem to be in a complete comfort league of their own. I, of course, respect your opinion, which is why I don't have them but I find them interesting. And at least they look like golf shoes, unlike these ballers.

I said before the toes look like the trues but I think the trues look even more like clown shoes than these do.

The overall look is quite different. But I see where TC is coming from. Big and rounded toe bed that kind of looks floppy when you look down on it.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

The overall look is quite different. But I see where TC is coming from. Big and rounded toe bed that kind of looks floppy when you look down on it.

That's why I said from that angle. THey have that "clown shoe" look to them.

I don't think they feel "cheap". They just feel like Nike Free's have always felt. And I agree about the tongue and heel. That's why I'll only wear these with pants and longer socks.

That's why Nike pays Tiger the big bucks LOL.

I'm sure there's a lot of good tech that's gone into the Free. But the look doesn't appeal to me.

As the Nike Lunar Controls are incredibly light, comfortable, offer great stability/traction, and look great (to me), I'm passing on the Frees.

I will agree with you. TW brings attention to whatever he plays

Back