Tweener Spot - between longest iron and FW

I have changed up this spot. I have carried a 5I and that is about the longest iron I should be playing. used to have hybrid and 2 FWs, now I have gone 4 utility, 7W then basically a 4W.

Works for me at the moment, but with some continued swing changes never know what will be the best option in the future.

I have a 3 wood, then jump to 4H (21* I believe) then my 5 iron.... was considering a 5H to compliment the spacing between the 5 iron and 4 H but I would also need to actually do some gap testing.

I go from a 7wood at 22.5 degrees to a 5iron. This season I'm planning on trying a 4H and a 5H.

Current - 3w (XR16), 2H (Apex 19), 4i (JPX 919 Forged)
When I hit the 3w well it is a good club for me, when I hit it well. lol. The hybrid is a monster and I love that it does not hook. I can hit my 4 iron but I don't think the gap to 5 iron sets up well for me. That leaves a big gap between 4 iron and 2 H

In my mind - 3w (RADSPEED Big Tour), 3 Utility (KING Utility), 4H (RADSPEED), 5i (KING Tour Cu)
I am hoping the slightly oversized head of the big tour will make hitting this 3w easier. I have a Callaway Utility Iron currently that I put in the bag during the AZ summers to have the ball roll out. I need an option that is easy for me to hit low so I think the 3 Utility could serve me well here. If I have the 3 Utility then I need that long high ball so the 4H should sit in well here. Changing to the 5i as lowest iron in the set makes sense, ego checked. :ROFLMAO:

After fitting - Follow along in my Morgan Cup updates that will start sometime in the future.

Last edited:
I have a 15° 3W, then I have the ZU85 2i (18°) between that and my Z785 4i

Now in year 4 of my return to the game I finally have a setup at the top of my bag that I think will work: Longest iron is 6i. I carry 3, 4 and 5 hybrids, 4w, 7w, driver. My prior configurations all seemed to be iffy above my 5 iron. I was lucky if I hit 50% of my shots decently with anything longer. Now I am confident with every club in the bag and only occasionally shank one.

I go 5w, 3h and then to 4i. Works for me

I am a 4-iron and then 5w. Could probably put a 7 wood in there or even a 3-iron, but I don’t find myself in a lot of positions that are in that gap so not going to try to pull something to add it.

We'll see what my top of bag fitting gets me this year, but been gaming 3W/3H/4H/5I for a while now. Went to the 4H a few years ago and find the 3H to be a little more consistent (and a touch shorter) distance wise than a 5W. 3W is a second tee option or only used from the rare perfect lie in the fairway on long par 5s. If someone forced me to drop a club in my bag it would be my 3W without hesitation.

Right now I've got 3w, 5w, 4i, 5i but I am going to do some testing this year with a Srixon Z-U85 2i in 18*. I really like the 5w, but I found my shots were bunching up and gapping wasn't where I'd like it... So likely going to de-loft the 3w a little, and test the 2i in place of the 5w. We'll see how it goes!

I've always carried a long iron/utility iron in that spot except for very brief experiments with hybrids which are not as accurate for me. My 4w is a 235ish club from the fairway and my Srixon ZX 20* is a 215ish club that I can back off to 205 pretty easily or hit a bit farther off the tee. I also carry a 4 iron or a 5 iron depending upon the course, usually a 5 iron so I have about a 20 yard gap between my ZX and my 5 iron.

oghWpPXuRvKTYl8ELoatIA.jpg

I just added a TSI2 4 hybrid for that spot. So far so I really like it I have only played 1 round with it.

I just added a TSI2 4 hybrid for that spot. So far so I really like it I have only played 1 round with it.
That one is def on my list of possibilities

My longest iron is 5 iron, I carry 2 hybrids (18° & 21°)... This set has been good to me...

The biggest gap I hsve is between my 7w, and 5i. Probably an average of 20-25 yards. (140+/- to 165+/-)

Thing is, in my game, I don't see enough shots in that gap range to worry about it.

5i is my longest iron, then I go Mav 5h, Super Hybrid (basically a 4h), then 5w.

I'm pretty sure my setup will prove unique... Driver, 4w, Heavenwood, old 7w... I won't say the gapping is perfect. The 4w is a tee off alternative, when drive might get me in trouble or just isnt necessary. Also its best for long par 5's when I'm just trying to get it as close as possible or if I really want to be sure to carry over bunkers or water and long isnt too much trouble. The Heavenwood is still so much fun to hit. Big high draws all day... The 7w is old and more of an under 200 club, off the tee or when I just feel like its the club in the right lie or even fairway. It probably overlaps my 5 iron a bit. But I know the 5 iron will spin enough to stop dependably...

5W strong lofted. Primary purpose is to find tight fairways off the tee and hit low bullets into wind.

3H is for creativity. Great out of bad lies. Can shape it 50m left or right on demand. Can also putt 100 metres with it.

Put the 4 iron back in the bag as I still hit that pretty good. Basically 4i to 5 wood to driver. Gotta figure out how to hit the 3 wood which has caused me numerous issues last year. Can crush the 5 wood and simply cannot figure out why there is that kind of difference with a 3 wood. The two clubs pretty much look identical as they are same brand and style. Go figure.

I've played 1 FW, 2 hybrids for years, but may go to two fairways in the near future (3/5 or 4/7), then go to a 4h.

This is the spot that's always in flux for me. I change it out based on how I'm swinging, the layout that day, weather, whatever. 4i 220 and I like it to fligh high and land soft at that. Stats show 3i/3U as a 240 club for me, and that's what I like most in that spot. 3i easier to keep down in the wind or run, and 3U as a carry club coming in soft. I have a couple hybrids in the 20* range I'll use too. Like right now, I have a G425 19.5* in with 2 drivers to help bridge that big gap between 4i & driver with some versatility. Can bomb it off the tee like a FW, or spin it and work it off the fairway at greater than 4i distances.

Right now I have a 4 iron that I only use off the tee, then 20* hybrid, and 4 wood at 3 wood length.
In the near future I will be going 5 iron, 4 hybrid, 7 wood, 3 wood

I am going 7w, 3u, 4i.

Dropping my 3 hybrid. Least used club in the bag.

5 wood. Gaps really well

Where is everyone this season in this spot of the bag?

I'm planning to possibly replace my 4 iron with an Apex Pro 4 hybrid.

Then going 7 wood, 4 wood, driver.

The 7 wood has been an interesting experiment. Its just like my hybrid but I can carry it about 10 yards further, it doesn't appear to go left as easily and I've had no problem flighting it down in the wind. So far I'm planning to keep it in the bag.

Back