Two Factor Authentication - Physical Security Key

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for awhile, but I'm finally going to take the plunge into getting a physical security key. I know the whole big players out there are Yubico and Feitian. Feitian is a Chinese company, so I think I'll discount them. Google has the Titan Key, but rumor has it that the guts are Feitian ... and the $50 price seems a bit too much.

So I think I'm going to settle on the Yubico Security Key NFC series: https://www.yubico.com/product/security-key-nfc-by-yubico/#security-key-nfc

Anyone use a similar product, and anything they would recommend? This is all new to me, so any knowledge would be appreciated.

I use a 2 step physical key for certain software and documents that require NDAs, and also the 2 step verification through my phone for my gmail, and all of my bank accounts.

To me that is more than enough security - what are you planning to use it for?

I use a 2 step physical key for certain software and documents that require NDAs, and also the 2 step verification through my phone for my gmail, and all of my bank accounts.

To me that is more than enough security - what are you planning to use it for?
For my personal accounts, and now that I am transitioning to a password manager with U2F protection, that as well. I am hoping my bank gets up to speed, because while it has SMS two factor authentication, that's not entirely secure.

Will I ever be targetted? Maybe, maybe not ... but I'd rather be a hard target than a soft one.

For my personal accounts, and now that I am transitioning to a password manager with U2F protection, that as well. I am hoping my bank gets up to speed, because while it has SMS two factor authentication, that's not entirely secure.

Will I ever be targetted? Maybe, maybe not ... but I'd rather be a hard target than a soft one.
I not sure if it's any safer than the SMS 2 step, but I like the phone prompt I'm able to get instead. It sends a system message to my device for verification, instead of going through the network

Posted by my thumbs.

Been using Yubikey daily for years. No issues at all.

Duo mobile for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bought Yubikeys in 2011. Haven't used them for a while, but no issues for several years when I did.

Back