Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.1
I played Saturday & Sunday and shot the same score both rounds:

F057EE83-BE62-4A20-ABE3-7E26DE91948F.png
Saturday

A5A6D6A8-B562-422D-8140-90BCE266B4CE.png
Sunday

I felt much better about my game walking off the course on Sunday than I did on Saturday, but I scored the same.

I haven’t been able to put back to back Nines together in a long time. What do y’all do to maintain if you find yourself with a number cooking?

I am with you regarding feeling totally differently about the same score. Happens to me all the time.

I defintiely ride the wave and keep going when playing well. Had great rounds the last 2 days and even though I should probably rest tomorrow after walking 18 for 4 straight days, I can't do it in fear that my hot streak will cool off. Plenty of time for resting after my game returns to normal.

I have had this numerous times. I cant really explain it either, but its definitely happened to me.

I fi am rollin on a good nine, I tend to take a practice swing before some shots to keep it going. I don't really take practice swings and never really have. I just look at the yardage, figure the wind , elevation in my head, and pull the trigger. But if i am playing well on the front, i will take a few to settle down sometimes and try to keep it going

All the time sir. You see my scores posted and I will always have a great front or back and the pee down my leg the next.

Always feels much better when the good is the back 9 and even better when you hit that many GIRs

• Staff
All the time sir. You see my scores posted and I will always have a great front or back and the pee down my leg the next.

Always feels much better when the good is the back 9 and even better when you hit that many GIRs

This is going to sound cliche but it starts with the driver, this game is a lot easier when you are able to put the ball in the fairway...

This is going to sound cliche but it starts with the driver, this game is a lot easier when you are able to put the ball in the fairway...

Fairways and greens, fairways and greens. Such a simple concept but so hard to execute.

View attachment 8908208
Saturday

View attachment 8908209
Sunday

I felt much better about my game walking off the course on Sunday than I did on Saturday, but I scored the same.

I haven’t been able to put back to back Nines together in a long time. What do y’all do to maintain if you find yourself with a number cooking?

I’ve done that so many times. It’s maddening. But whenever I’m on a bit of a roll, I try to slow myself down to stay in my routine. And I try to avoid really going after a shot. Trying to stretch a 7 an extra few yards rather than backing off a 6 a bit gets me in trouble more often than not. And then I’m chasing trying to get it back to good.

This club also sets the tone for me and its usually the culprit when things go sideways. My Sunday round was very similar to your Saturday round. I shot 40 on the front and 45 on the back with 6 pars and 3 blowups. Three tee balls into the water/junk on the back 9! Thankfully, that's not common and it left a sour taste after the round. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow. :D

I get this feeling all the time. For some reason I'm perfectly ok with hitting lots of fairways & greens but putting like ass, but I HATE striking the ball poorly and making everything on the greens - even though they both result in a 80.

To try and keep a good round going I just keep doing whatever it is I'm doing off the tee, and I'll start aiming for the center of every green.

Ha! I've had my share of Jekyll & Hyde 9's. I think my most dramatic one ever, was 45/37. You will eventually put two good 9's together.

Someone mentioned fairways & greens above.... that assumes you know how to putt. I use to be fairly good tee to green. I was going through some previous scorecards and found a good one and very emblematic of my golf game. Shot 79 with 36 putts on a 6800 yd 135 slope Tom Fazio course. Good grief! 36 putts! Are you kidding?!?

Yesterday I got my first pro putting lesson ever in my life. I can already tell it is going to help. Can't wait to put it to use.

Ha! I've had my share of Jekyll & Hyde 9's. I think my most dramatic one ever, was 45/37. You will eventually put two good 9's together.

Someone mentioned fairways & greens above.... that assumes you know how to putt. I use to be fairly good tee to green. I was going through some previous scorecards and found a good one and very emblematic of my golf game. Shot 79 with 36 putts on a 6800 yd 135 slope Tom Fazio course. Good grief! 36 putts! Are you kidding?!?

Yesterday I got my first pro putting lesson ever in my life. I can already tell it is going to help. Can't wait to put it to use.

Usually after putting like I did this weekend, would normally go to the bull pen and change putters... But I’m trying to break that habit, as @e1iterate says every time I try to change putters- “Dax, Sean fricking Toulon fit you for your putter, it’s not the putter, it’s you...”

That’s golf.

It really depends what your main reason for golfing is right? Scoring or Swining it well and being in control of the ball.

I’ve played tournaments (non thp) where I’ve grinded out scores and was dissatisfied. I’ve had the reverse as well where it was an enjoyable round everything came together and I posted a number.

Yep, I can have two rounds with the same score and feel completely different. All depends on how I was getting said score and if I felt like I left a lot out there or not. Typically, a really bad day putting makes me feel like I had a worse round than a bad day off the tee. I played a round a few weeks ago where I missed a lot of birdie putts, but scored in my normal range, although I felt like I played horribly because my putting let me down.

Man, it can be a chore. To make things worse, our back 9 is considerably harder than the front. So any good front that may get me thinking about keeping it going, is with the knowledge that the back is tough, and looming.

Sounds cliche, but what works for me is immersing myself in the shot at hand. Helps me to tune out the static and pressure. Also, I'm realistic as to expected score vs one that I'd instead hope for.

Case in point, the par-3 11th. Straight away, flat hole but so very often into the wind with trouble right. And from the back tees, like today, 226 yards yet playing longer.

The green is large but with devilishly subtle breaks. My long winded intro is that although I know that I'm capable of birdie and certainly par, I allow myself to accept that bogey is not only the most likely result, but it's also not a bad score considering the hole's difficulty.

This mental approach tends to relax me and more often than not, I'll play the hole better than my previous conservative expectations. At the very least, it's greatly helped to minimize doubles.

On the front, I'm actively gunning for birdies. On the back, par is king and I'll try to jump on whatever birdie chances may present themselves. But the more pragmatic and strategic approach works best for me.

I can relate! I shot back-to-back 80’s a little while ago. The first round I finished with a double bogey, and the second round I finished with a birdie. I felt a lot better about the second round even though the scores were the same.

Personally I like your Saturday round better, simple because there where no double bogeys in there. You recovered better with your irons and avoided the double bogeys.
I do it, have a bad front and great back or vice versa. I think it is just a matter of getting out of ones way and just playing.

I do my best to not know my scores until the round is over. I've turned too many good front 9s into bad back 9s by looking. I try my best to just play the next shot.

But yes, I have shot scores that were OK, but I was mad. It mostly centers around how I played. If I played well, and shot 90, cool. If I played poorly and shot 90, grrrrrrrrr.

I really try to not focus on it, but my mind starts to add up holes on its own and then i get thoughts of PBs running all over. One of the beauties of this game, it can humble you instantly!

I always say any round where I make a birdie was a good round. But occasionally that optimistic take on things is severely tested!

I just try not to focus too much on the score. Stay in the moment, focus on the next shot. I start looking too far ahead and I get sloppy.

I suppose that's something I enjoy about my home course. The last two holes are two of the easier holes, so you tend to end well. The back in general is easier. If you're wanting to feel good about a quick nine, you play the back., not the front #9 is one of the hardest holes in NE.

as @e1iterate says every time I try to change putters- “Dax, Sean fricking Toulon fit you for your putter, it’s not the putter, it’s you...”

View attachment 8908208
Saturday

View attachment 8908209
Sunday

I like breaking my round into 6 x 3-hole "mini rounds". I try to shoot Even for each 3-hole set, never letting the overall score effect my thinking. The good news is that, after a poor 3-hole set, I get to start over again with the next. Instead of one "new 9", I get 5 "new" 3-hole sets.

Stay smooth in your swing, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Don’t try to over do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back