Review Two Thumb Putter Grip Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoping people take a look at this one, we are going to do something pretty fun with three of these four grips...and the putters they’re attached to.

This is going to be my morning coffee read. I was just thinking I wanted something like this with my new putting style - I look forward to digging in!

Certainly looks like a good idea.
This fun you speak of would be pretty cool to take part in 😆

The Snug Daddy 27 Wide seems like something I would be interested in trying, but that price point is kind of a concern.

I seem to remember someone on the European Tour using this grip a few years back but cant recall who. Would these work well with a pencil grip?

Very interesting. As far as the grips I think they look awful with the name so large running down the middle, thats a big turn off for me. I'm not sure if it's the name itself or the sheer size of it but I don't like it. I've never tried a flat cat but that shape I don't know about I guess I'd have to try it. The smaller grip in the blue is more my style but still the same aesthetic issues for me. Also that price :oops:

If it works then I guess it doesn't matter but I would really have to be struggling at putting to even consider going this route and making that drastic of a change.

I seem to remember someone on the European Tour using this grip a few years back but cant recall who. Would these work well with a pencil grip?
There are several on that Tour still using them including Wiesberger and Wallace.

I’ve found the side by side hand putting to work recently and was thinking about these style grips. The big daddy light might be in my future but I’ve got to check out all the models. Great read, @Jman

Great write up! For me personally not sure I love the massive design but the more moderate ones seem super intriguing. I can't remember but I think one of the top five contenders this weekend had a two thumbs grip at the Arnold.

I have always wondered how to grip a putter like that with thumbs next to each other. It always felt like I didn't have control of the club. Does a grip like this help that I assume?

I have always wondered how to grip a putter like that with thumbs next to each other. It always felt like I didn't have control of the club. Does a grip like this help that I assume?
I love the prayer grip, mainly because I don't want to be controlling the putter, I want it to flow freely through the stroke, its why I defend one of the best putting drills on the planet is the "no thumbs" drill. Though mine is much more Pat O'Brien with one thumb still offset lower than the other as opposed to the theory associated with the creation of the BD putter grips where they are dead even and the index fingers run down both sides of the grip.

No more thoughts or questions?

I'm excited to get three of these into THP'ers hands....

I owned a Two Thumb "original" years ago. It might have been the first non-stock grip I ever owned, remembering the day I rushed to the pro-shop with it to get it installed so I could get it on the course. This was before SuperStroke was even a thing, and the larger grips weren't as mainstream.

My thoughts might be pretty outdated, but the things I vividly remember, were how stout the grip was, and how much it really helped my putting at the time.

Putting was a real low-point of my game back then, and the 2 Thumb original really helped get me into a solid putting stroke. It completely took my wrists out of the putting stroke, and really had me just rocking the shoulders in my putting stroke.

The main turnoff at the time though, was I wanted a grip that fit inside a putter well nicely, and due to the size/shape, it was a struggle. It was definitely a heavy grip, and that was before I knew anything about how the grip weight affects feel of the putter head, balance, and things like that.

I honestly thought they didn't exist as a brand anymore..... long departed from the marketplace. But that was clearly wrong lol. Neat to see they are still around.
Would I go back to a grip like this? Potentially, if I really wanted to reset my stroke again.

Well, they won't win any beauty awards, but I can see the effectiveness of them. How would you compare it to something like the Garsen grip, where you also can sorta get a prayer like grip to it?

I really like the logo down the front as an alignment aid and the overall bold look in general. I’ve never even considered the parallel hands grip and haven’t changed anything about my putting stroke in the last decade since I put the 2-Ball CS in the bag. And that’s an indictment on my lack of playing time, not my putting prowess. In the past, I have favored light and unobtrusive grips, but my Dad’s putting improved dramatically after getting the fattest heaviest grip he could find.

The main turnoff at the time though, was I wanted a grip that fit inside a putter well nicely, and due to the size/shape, it was a struggle. It was definitely a heavy grip, and that was before I knew anything about how the grip weight affects feel of the putter head, balance, and things like that.

I like the concept of a grip shape with room for two thumbs side-by-side at the top of the grip. But I think the TwoThumb company's lightest weight grip is 67 grams, which is 12 to 15 grams heavier than I like. If the company produced a 50 to 55 gram putter grip I would buy it and try it.

For comparison, over the years the Two Thumb Original has changed a bit.

The one I had years ago looked like this:
1583892869295.png

New Version courtesy of @Jman:
1583892935140.png

Another great review James.

I just messed around with the parallel thumbs concept using my Bag Boy Backbone. I can see how it takes your wrists out of the equation. Like most, I'm all for removing variables when putting.

I have a few CB putters and IIRC you used clevis pins "back in the day" to give a similar result, but in a standard length shaft. Does the weight of the "Big Daddy" help smooth the stroke in the same way?

Surprisingly, I am most intrigued by the original Big Daddy, although I don't know if I have a heavy enough putter head to put it on.

In the process of switching grips from SC Matador to Garsen. These look interesting enough to give it a second look.

Another great review James.

I just messed around with the parallel thumbs concept using my Bag Boy Backbone. I can see how it takes your wrists out of the equation. Like most, I'm all for removing variables when putting.

I have a few CB putters and IIRC you used clevis pins "back in the day" to give a similar result, but in a standard length shaft. Does the weight of the "Big Daddy" help smooth the stroke in the same way?
To me, yeah, it essentially served as a big ole counterweight.

I really like the idea of a big flat grip. I have an old Hoganardi with a Winn jumbo grip on it. I think the head might be a little light for it, but the grip allowed me to keep soft hands. I’d love to try a prayer grip and this just might be the proper grip for it.

i thought the larger putter grips were crazy at first but ive since changed, i love them, one thing i find is the weight distribution difference is crazy. i remember a couple years ago i put one on a futura and it made the head seem light. thats one thing youll have to get used to, in my opinion.

I just received the Original Tour Velvet grip installed on the Indi Allison putter I was chosen to review. As @Jman stated in his impecable review, their was definitely some shock and awe, as well as choice words and thoughts, in regards to the grip when removing the putter from the box.

Size and Weight - sucker is huge and weighs a ton. A little overstated, but at 190 grams not too awfully far off. I have been predominantly using standard size pistol grips forever so this grip is literally 3 times the size and triple the weight of what I am used to. Time will tell whether this is a good or bad thing.

Feel - I do like this aspect of the grip having always been a fan of rubber / rubber compound grips.

Putting Grip - I found out rather quickly that neither my normal reverse overlap grip nor left hand low grip were going to work with this grip. Both were very uncomfortable considering the size and shape of the grip. I went to their website and watched a video and noted that one of the pros on the video placed his thumbs side by side on the front of the grip with his index fingers on either side of the grip extended down. I tried that grip method and it felt much better and seemed to yield much better control of the putter head during the stroke.

These are just my initial reactions after using the grip for 10 - 15 minutes. Much more to come after I get more time with it.

20200415_132821.jpg20200415_132800.jpg
20200415_132736.jpg20200415_132707.jpg

Back