Votes: 21 21.9%
  • No Tiger?

Votes: 56 58.3%
  • Phil not on the leaderboard?

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Total voters
THreads like these just prove to me how some folks just like golf b/c of Tiger. That's what really makes me sad. He's a scumbag, Rory is the exact opposite. Rory is great in post round interviews and handled himself like a much mature person after his collapse at Augusta. Threads like these just confirm how narrow minded Tiger fans truly are. They only like golf when Tiger is around and winning. I hate that.

Agreed man. When he hangs up the putter where will golf be for the tiger fan or even the casual fan?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

THreads like these just prove to me how some folks just like golf b/c of Tiger. That's what really makes me sad. He's a scumbag, Rory is the exact opposite. Rory is great in post round interviews and handled himself like a much mature person after his collapse at Augusta. Threads like these just confirm how narrow minded Tiger fans truly are. They only like golf when Tiger is around and winning. I hate that.
That's one thing where Rory is ahead of the curve with Tiger. He's not robotic, he's transparent and seems like a human being. He's very likable, I'll give him that. He took all of those questions regarding his Masters collapse and still ran away with the US Open, quite the performance!

I like what Dan Jenkins said about Rory: “Rory has the repeating swing of Hogan and Nelson, and the likability of Arnold.” That's pretty good I'd say.

I tuned in. I was impressed that Rory was able to pull it all together after fading in the last Masters and British. I was happy for him. He's got a great career ahead of him.

Tiger was a decorated American athlete before he turned pro. He made watching US Amateurs must watch TV. He had a following before he turned pro. If Rory continues to dominate, people will watch.

All of that is 100% true. However it still does not change the fact that all we have heard for 2 years is that TW fans loved to watch domination and "great golf". They got both this weekend and did not tune in. So clearly there is more to the fandom than domination and great golf.

I love watching domination. I enjoyed it when Tiger was doing it and I enjoyed it when Rory was doing it. I watched more of this U.S. Open than any other tournament since Tiger's win in 2008. I enjoy watching great golf, it really doesn't matter who is playing. I don't enjoy watching half a dozen guys hanging on for dear life with the person that choked the least taking home the prize.

I also didn't enjoy the dozen or so potential winners during the last nine holes of the Masters this year. Quite frankly it made it difficult to follow and watch, but I think that is more the fault of CBS's subpar coverage. It was like watching a Michael Bay film with all the quick cuts and poor editing.

All of that is 100% true. However it still does not change the fact that all we have heard for 2 years is that TW fans loved to watch domination and "great golf". They got both this weekend and did not tune in. So clearly there is more to the fandom than domination and great golf.
What do you think it is? Rory isn't a household name, he will be if he keeps it up.

Can't wait until I can post a topic headed 'Tiger - Flash In The Pan?'

TIger in the running=ratings

proven time and time again

I think people love watching the US Open because the USGA makes it hard. People love seeing pros having a hard time with the course, makes them feel more real. (If you know what I mean) I think Tiger is going to be a person of the past if he ever comes back.

Tiger was missing.... I thought they said it was over 30%. Maybe that is why Tiger is saying although I wont be playing the next event(forgot which upcoming) he will be attending. They dont want sales to drop....

Gotta agree with TC on this. What impressed me more than the incredible golf show Rory put on was that he wasn't a jerk in the interviews afterwards.

I'm waiting for someone to use the beating a dead horse emoticon in this thread because people are being hard on Tiger again.

All eastern egos aside, I think that the US Open would be better played out west every time. Its better for TV times for North America as a whole.

All eastern egos aside, I think that the US Open would be better played out west every time. Its better for TV times for North America as a whole.

It is? How do you figure?

I believe it's a little bit of everything. However, for me personally, I just found this US Open to be boring. I didn't want to see a guy running around with it and I certainly didn't want to see someone that far under par. I wanted a battle to the finish where the winner just barely finished under par. That's a far more entertaining US Open to me than what we saw. It's nothing against Rory, I actually like the kid, and I hope he continues to show this type of skill throughout his entire career. And if it were any other tournament I might not mind having that much of a lead, but for the US Open I just expect something different.

I think it was a combination of everything. Last year Tiger had a great 3rd round to get in to contention. You had Tiger and Phil in contention, Dustin Johnson who just bombs the ball(chicks dig the long ball). I think the fact that it was at Pebble Beach also helped the ratings last year as well. Not to mention on Sunday it became an anybody can win situation.

Flash forward to this year. You had no Tiger, virtually No Phil, and Rory running away with it. I still watched, just like I did the British Open last year when Louis stormed the field. I also think the lack of Americans near the top of the leader board hurt the ratings and lets face it, Congressional is nice course, but it's not Pebble Beach. The other thing that may have hurt the ratings is that this just didn't play like a US Open(I'm not sure how much that hurt ratings, but I think it had to have its toll).

I love the 2 times they did Prime Time coverage of the US Open. I hope they do it again next year.

I believe it's a little bit of everything. However, for me personally, I just found this US Open to be boring. I didn't want to see a guy running around with it and I certainly didn't want to see someone that far under par. I wanted a battle to the finish where the winner just barely finished under par. That's a far more entertaining US Open to me than what we saw. It's nothing against Rory, I actually like the kid, and I hope he continues to show this type of skill throughout his entire career. And if it were any other tournament I might not mind having that much of a lead, but for the US Open I just expect something different.

I agree GG, its never fun seeing someone run away with it. It makes for boring final days.

Completely agree with the previous posts; was definitely a culmination of several factors:

- No Tigger
- No Phil
- No close battles at the top of the leaderboard
- Conditions way too easy for what is supposed to be the challenge of the US Open. Per Mike Davis - "The US Open trademark needs to remain in theory the hardest event of the year, but we also want it to be more".

I'm not sure about that when 65% of your view audience is on the east coast. Time difference makes it a challenge too but all doable. Just not nearly as many iconic courses on West coast. Olympic will be great to see but most haven't heard or seen this course so lose connection with it.

This is easy, No Tiger, combined with a runaway win by Rory means nobody was watching except for golf fans. Tiger brings in the casual sports fan to watch golf, no other golfer does that.

I loved it myself. No Tiger, no problem. I like Phil but it was clear on day one that he was off. I thought having Rory running away from everyone else was great. I stayed tuned in just to see how low he could go.

Unless there are some sick golf shots along the way....and as long as others in the field are playing 'competitvely' as well.

I agree GG, its never fun seeing someone run away with it. It makes for boring final days.

I think it was a little combination of rory running away with it and Tiger not being there, but mostly from Tiger not being there. Whether you like him or not he does drive ratings.

Tiger was missing.... I thought they said it was over 30%. Maybe that is why Tiger is saying although I wont be playing the next event(forgot which upcoming) he will be attending. They dont want sales to drop....

So people are going to go to the tournament because tiger "will be attending", but not playing? That's probably the most rediculous thing I've ever read.

I thought it was sort of boring. I actually went out and listened to my neighbor blab about something for an hour. I like great golf, but I really like a little drama too.

After rory took off after Friday I watched very litttle

I now tap while I talk

Love him or hate him, Tiger is a compelling figure and his absence changes the feel (and fan interest) of the whole tournament.

Back