Votes: 21 21.9%
  • No Tiger?

Votes: 56 58.3%
  • Phil not on the leaderboard?

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Total voters
I have to admit I didn't watch much after Thursday (Rory was already done and lapping the field when I got home from work Friday). Usually US Open is must-see TV for me, because it is usually pretty dramatic, no matter who the contenders are. This year, no drama on a venue that frankly looked like what they play on most any given week. For me there was really only one decently dramatic moment all weekend, and actually I happened to be listening on CBS Radio when it occurred. Rory at the 10th Sunday - how would he respond after his meltdown at the Masters that really began at the 10th? And Yang put some heat on, getting into collapse-passing position at -9 and sticking it close ahead of Rory on 10. Rory showed his champions character at that moment with the near hole-in-one - great stuff! But all said and done, I think little drama, dullish venue, and yes, Euro player lapping the field probably killed the ratings - especially the little drama.

And for those that call Tiger robotic - ok, I will give you that he is a robotic interview. But on the course, he is as animated as they come, wearing his emotions out in the open for all to see, high or low. That is what makes Tiger in contention or Tiger failing great theater.

None of the well known Americans were near the top of the pack, plus McIlroy running away with the tournament didn't help.

I think it was a combination of No Tiger (man it pains me to say that) and the fact that by the weekend, Rory had a huge lead and no real American's in contention.

No competition=boring.

No competition=boring.

Honest question.

So you believe that if Tiger Woods was 10 up on the field, you would not have tuned in? And more importantly, the majority would not have tuned in?

IMO, if one of your favorite players has a 10-shot lead, you will tune in and watch. I think ratings would have been better if it were, say, Dustin Johnson, Hunter Mahan, Rickie Fowler or another popular American who was running away with it. Let's face it, as a European player, I don't think McIlroy will ever be loved by the masses in the US. No matter how likeable he is. I'd say there were those who tuned in Sunday hoping to see Rory blow another lead; when he got that early birdie and cemented the win, many, many tv sets clicked off or changed the channel for good for the day.

i dont care who it was, if anyone is up but that much i hardly watch because whoever is leading only has to play par golf and thats boring, ill tune in to see if there is any chancges but if not i keep flipping.. if tiger was up like rory would i watch? nope! even if my main man fowler was up that much i wouldnt of watched, until the 18th so i could see him finish

Honest question.

So you believe that if Tiger Woods was 10 up on the field, you would not have tuned in? And more importantly, the majority would not have tuned in?

Excellent point, I think the non-uber golf fans don't watch if Tiger's out, he brings in the viewership for sure!

IMO, if one of your favorite players has a 10-shot lead, you will tune in and watch. I think ratings would have been better if it were, say, Dustin Johnson, Hunter Mahan, Rickie Fowler or another popular American who was running away with it. Let's face it, as a European player, I don't think McIlroy will ever be loved by the masses in the US. No matter how likeable he is. I'd say there were those who tuned in Sunday hoping to see Rory blow another lead; when he got that early birdie and cemented the win, many, many tv sets clicked off or changed the channel for good for the day.

I dont know. Guys like Norman were absolutely adored and ratings showed that.
I think its about exposure and showing the US fans that exposure. Right now they dont know who Rory is, but in time, they might.

I think its about exposure and showing the US fans that exposure. Right now they dont know who Rory is, but in time, they might.

If he keeps playing like this, everyone will know him very soon.

ok i lied, if fowler was up that much id def watch the whole last round, but thats because he is my fav.. but anybody else weather it would be tiger, phil, kuchar dl3 i wouldnt.. i like when its close and people go for shots to try and get the lead and what not..

^ Good point about Norman. I think it's a little different with McIlroy because he competes against the US every other year in the Ryder Cup. I'm not sure Norman would have been nearly as popular in the US if he were always going head-to-head against Americans in the RC. Especially in an era where we seldom come out on top.

^ Good point about Norman. I think it's a little different with McIlroy because he competes against the US every other year in the Ryder Cup. I'm not sure Norman would have been nearly as popular in the US if he were always going head-to-head against Americans in the RC. Especially in an era where we seldom come out on top.

He did go head to head with the US every 2 years.

The difference was he played in the US week in and week out. Same reason Poulter and G-mac are looked at differently here than Westwood is.

Honest question.

I would have watched that, but because it would be a comeback type thing, and him pursuing Jack's record is BIG news in golf. If it is just TW thrashing the competition from day one, well I have seen that enough already. I wouldn't know what the majority might do but I am usually surprised by it.

He did go head to head with the US every 2 years.

The difference was he played in the US week in and week out. Same reason Poulter and G-mac are looked at differently here than Westwood is.

Let's not try to equate the Presidents Cup with the Ryder Cup. The Presidents Cup is to the Ryder Cup as the Hooters Tour is to the PGA Tour.

Let's not try to equate the Presidents Cup with the Ryder Cup. The Presidents Cup is to the Ryder Cup as the Hooters Tour is to the PGA Tour.

I dont know if I would go that far...On the same level? No. But not a minor league. Your argument was because he competed against the US...Norman did that.

Greg Norman was a household name. The main reason for that is because he played each week on our television sets. Rory is not. Him playing against the US means very little to most. Heck the casual viewer barely knows the Ryder Cup let alone the fact that it comes only once every 24 months.

Its the same reason that most know Ian Poulter and most have no idea who Westwood is. And yet Westwood is far higher ranked. Yet IJP is on national commercials in the US and Westwood's company chose Bubba and Hunter over Westwood in their campaign.

I'd go with all of the above, in my opinion.

Dude that's what I was going to say... I agree whole heartedly.

If tiger were there and doing the same it would have set records in viewership as well (as has been said). All in all the combination of all 3 options truly inhibited the US Open viewership IMO.

Same reason Poulter and G-mac are looked at differently here than Westwood is.

Isn't Poulter playing the euro this year. I thought he RM, and Westwood made a small deal about this last year. I'd just hate to see Graeme get associated with them.

Isn't Poulter playing the euro this year. I thought he RM, and Westwood made a small deal about this last year. I'd just hate to see Graeme get associated with them.

Both tours for IJP this year.

I thought many things contributed to the lower ratings. Even the first day didn't feel that exciting. I was watching the coverage and for some reason it just didn't keep me intrigued. Maybe it was knowing there was no Tiger but I usually will pay attention to all Majors with high interest from me. Then as the week went on the fact that Rory was blowing the field away took away from the suspense. The fact that there weren't any Americans making a serious threat let alone a star like Phil didn't bring in the casual fan.

I remember sitting with the US Open thread open and wondering where everyone was. I recall how much action there was during the Masters or even thinking back to last years Open at Pebble.

Both tours for IJP this year.

I feel like Graeme is one of us, and IP and LW are not, definitely not.:D

All I mean by "us" is a US tour fan.

I certainly lost interest once he got to double digits it was just "give him the trophy already"

do you think Rory could ever be 'fully embraced' in the US like G-Mac is/was if RM continues to win? Or do you think the fact that he's Euro will always holf him back here in the US?

do you think Rory could ever be 'fully embraced' in the US like G-Mac is/was if RM continues to win? Or do you think the fact that he's Euro will always holf him back here in the US?

I think he will/is embraced by the fans here, but they are just starting to get to know him. Maybe he should start wearing a visor?

I'm growing a Rory-do and the visor is overflowing now. Visor runneth over type of thing. He could rock it well

I think he will/is embraced by the fans here, but they are just starting to get to know him. Maybe he should start wearing a visor?

Back