Under Appreciated Bands/Artists?

I feel Montrose isn't that well known by many.

Montrose, Montrose, is a pure Rock album, and Motley Crue completely ripped him off.

Also, Sturgill Simpson is criminally underrated outside a small circle.

This is actually a really good choice.
Right? A lot of people think they were a 1 hit wonder but they had 5 or 6 songs that charted, and the 1 song people know wasn't even their highest charting song.

Biffy Clyro are so good. Seen them a few times. Sadly, they just aren't well known here.

In the UK.... Totally different story. Lol.
That's the impression I've gotten!

Chilliwack

Matthew Good

and for the punkers, Gob

Last edited:
Rudy - YouTube

Crime of the Century was a magnificent album, I saw them live at Birmingham Town Hall in 1974 , awesome night

Jellyfish, Elvis Costello, and the Replacements were already mentioned. A few others that maybe didn’t get the credit they were due: Motörhead, Incubus, Cake, and Blind Melon.

I listen to a lot of music especially in my car that just got an upgraded JL Audio amp and Focal sub/separates in June.:)

Dr. Hook

I implore all Americana fans to check out Blake Christiana and his band Yarn.

Jim Croce

Ten Years After / Alvin Lee

So underrated that they haven't even been mentioned 7 pages into this thread: The Smithereens.

Criminally underrated, IMO.

I’ll start.

Counting Crows.

Yes, some massive hits, but their deep cuts are SO good.
Was going to say, Counting Crows. They did the Mr. Jones video in one take. August and Everything After is a phenomenal album.

Audioslave. Pure sonic bliss.

J. Geils Band
The New York Dolls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So underrated that they haven't even been mentioned 7 pages into this thread: The Smithereens.

Criminally underrated, IMO.
I was in high school when they broke out. Very good sound. I saw the lead singer passed away a couple years ago, he had gotten really obese which was a little shocking.

Buffalo Tom is a great group from the New England area that had some great albums. They still release very good music every few years. They never hit the big time but had some moderate success.

I would argue that John Mayer‘s pure musical and guitar talent is underappreciated amongst all the noise that surrounds him as an artist, admitting that some of that noise is self created.

I've read this entire post & responses. I question how you can call a band "under-appreciated" if they have made multiple albums and had hit records. Most of the bands mentioned here have done that. Here are two groups that deserve a chance in the national spotlight: JJ Grey & Mofro and Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds.

The Sandford Townsend Band could have been great but they broke up after their first record.

I've read this entire post & responses. I question how you can call a band "under-appreciated" if they have made multiple albums and had hit records. Most of the bands mentioned here have done that. Here are two groups that deserve a chance in the national spotlight: JJ Grey & Mofro and Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds.

The Sandford Townsend Band could have been great but they broke up after their first record.
I think of it more as maybe they had a song with enough success to get noticed but doesn't have the name recognition that Aerosmith, The Beatles, etc have.

Back