Under-hyped and Over-hyped: Your List

Under: Halo Hy-Wood - SUCH a complete golf club that would be a game changer for many.

Over: PING 425 Crossover - it performs, but it sounds/feels like it’s broken with each shot.

You’re not helping me resist my urge to try the Hy-Wood.

The i59 aren’t hollow though? I’m with you that they’re good…but what separates them?

The lack of obvious benefit with the construction route they took, and how it's been received so far, makes we wonder if they'll even try to take a next step with that, or go another way. Most try to further/improve something like that, but... With their cycles though who knows when that will even be answered.

The lack of obvious benefit with the construction route they took, and how it's been received so far, makes we wonder if they'll even try to take a next step with that, or go another way. Most try to further/improve something like that, but... With their cycles though who knows when that will even be answered.
They’re PING, they clearly don’t care what anyone thinks, so they will keep with it (which I actually think it’s a hell of a tech story) and just expect people to take it, like their price hikes. ;)

Under: Mizuno ST-Z driver, 3 wood and CLK hybrid. If I wasn’t set with my Callaway woods, Mizuno would be my top pick.

Over: Pretty much everything TaylorMade releases.

Since there is literally zero hype for Maltby clubs I consider them under hyped.

Best bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Overhyped: Srixon Z-Star balls (they spun too much off the tee for me; most of my shots were some degree of a snap hook or slice. Though the ball was amazing for the short game).

Underhyped: Maxfli Tour CG balls (Long. Straight. Great short game spin. A bit firm off the putter though).

The i59 aren’t hollow though? The cost is insane though, we had a big talk on that at HQ last week, I’m with you that they’re good…but what separates them?

And I’m FOREVER with you on the CBX2 train!

+1 on the CBX2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Overhyped: Srixon Z-Star balls (they spun too much off the tee for me; most of my shots were some degree of a snap hook or slice. Though the ball was amazing for the short game).

Underhyped: Maxfli Tour CG balls (Long. Straight. Great short game spin. A bit firm off the putter though).
Snap hook is a face to path issue, no ball is going to fix that…

Under: Cobra & Srixon/Cleveland - Both have lines that from top to bottom fit almost any type of golfer.

Over: Ping & TaylorMade- The last great Ping Driver was the G400 & TaylorMade’s line lacks from top to bottom.

Snap hook is a face to path issue, no ball is going to fix that…

You're absolutely right JDax.

So I will correct my previous statement. What I meant to say was that the Z-Star would promote a draw or fade ball flight more than I'd like. So a mini draw or mini fade with the Maxfli Tour ball for instance, would be a bigger draw or fade. And a bigger draw or fade with the Maxfli would turn more into a hook or slice with the Srixon. My preferred ball flight in most cases is a straight ball flight.

Hope that makes more sense.

Underhyped: Srixon Drievrs and Fwys, Honma TR 20 460 Drivers, TR21 Fairways, and TRX 20/21 Irons - when they lost Rose, they lost the Brand Ambassador, Tour Edge 721 Driver ... probably more.

Overhyped: Ping G425 Driver, 410 Driver because not that much improvement, if any, over the G400Max. I liked the G400 best for sound (not the Max). Still pondering the other overhyped ...

I don’t test a lot of different OEM’s equipment so my thoughts are based on personal clubs plus what my golfing buddies are playing.

Over-hyped - Taylormade drivers and irons. Few guys I play with have seen any improvement over their previous sticks.

Under-hyped - Callaway Apex Pro hybrid. Have played multiple OEM’s hybrids over the past 15 years nothing comes close to the balance, weighting and performance of this club. A few of my friends similarly have purchased same hybrid in various flexes and overwhelming the Pro is a winner.

Under hyped is undoubtedly the RADSPEED FW's. These things are super playable for real golfers like myself. Yes some scratch handicap golfer with 130MPH swing speed might hit other FW's 2 yards further on 10 shots, but for the average golfer the launch and spin characteristics just make for a very playable golf club from long range.

Over hyped is a tough one. I am going to say ultra low spin equipment. It just doesn't work for most and it causes more problems than it solves for most golfers.

But imagine you are that high speed/spin player? It’ll solve more problems than it’ll cause.

Under: all the current cobra irons.

Over: CBX2, just a mess to try to play.

Under- Honma irons. Odyssey 10 2 ball armlock putter.

Over- I don’t really know. I think most companies over hype their products. That’s marketing.

Over - Fairway woods. I’ve tried a lot of different over the last 5 years and can’t find anything I like better than the 816 alpha. May have to try epic super hybrid next.

Under - Elevate ETS shafts. I’m not seeing much hype on them, I really like them.

Overhyped: PXG - their marketing budget is huge. in your face every commercial break I feel.
underhyped: TaylorMade mg wedges.

Over-hyped: Rick Shiels. Why? Total clickbait.

Wait, this is in the equipment section. Let me start over. 😂

Over-hyped: Virtually every driver release. I thought the Cobra F9 sounded great and played as well as either release since. Has PING really improved upon the 400? TaylorMade SIM2 better than SIM? The products are all awesome. I am not knocking them, but it seems like it is becoming increasingly difficult to justify the cash for a new driver.

Under-hyped: A couple of drivers really were improvements, imo, but I am not sure that you can ever say that Titleist is under-hyped. However, I am not sure that any of the other heads have performed as well for me and I have tried a bunch. I also think that the Mizuno driver release remains unknown to many, although it has received much discussion on this forum.

I am going to add another over-hyped: Odyssey Ten putters. I just don’t like how they sound coming off the face and it bugs me how they want to open when sitting at address.

Another under-hyped: Srixon Z Star golf balls (isn’t it funny how one man’s under-hype is another’s over-hype?). I played the Z Star XV today and it just flat out does everything well and is among the longest balls that I have played this year. Both times I shot my best score of the year, I was using this ball.

I am going to add another over-hyped: Odyssey Ten putters. I just don’t like how they sound coming off the face and it bugs me how they want to open when sitting at address.

I just do not understand how that doesn't bother more people.

Overhyped - Ping in general. I can't say I've hit a single ping out on the course, at GG, or in a fitting that felt right to me.
Underhyped - Maltby. I love my irons for half the price of most of the big guys.

This is the first I’ve heard of the sitting open thing Craig, that’s a Spider trait it’s known for and something Ody actually intentionally addressed on the Ten so it wouldn’t flop open.

Over must be both Taylormade and PXG. It’s the me thinks thou dost protest too much syndrome.

Under, Mizuno putters, beyond this site and a few others one seldom sees or heard of them. That also goes for a number of other OEMs. They quietly lead the way.

On a more personal level, prior generation clubs, brand new at attractive prices. Add that most of not all the clubs perform, what’s not to like?

To be clear, i, and certainly many others here and in all walks can afford new, but new isn’t always best (in my opinion).

Last edited:
Overhyped - Swag Ryder cup headcover set 😜

Underhype - G425 driver, my best season of driving so far - accuracy, distance and strokes gained. Probably not a popular opinion and I'm a ping homer but I really like it.

Back