Under pressure to win the PGA Championship?

c0ncept

SFT
Reaction score
Handicap
Life
I was curious as to who people think has the most pressure to win this week. I lean Speith since it is the career slam for him. He hasn't been playing great but the talent is there.

Lots of golfers with no majors, Tiger, people just not getting over the hump, etc. Who do you think is under the most pressure to win it?

That's a really interesting question. I think it is Spieth, but if he puts all that pressure on himself, he won't win for sure.

Justin Leonard was asked about Spieth last night and he said that Spieth plays best when he's not overthinking and putting pressure on himself. Case in point was his Sunday round at the Masters. He told himself he didn't have a shot, and admitted to going on the course just to enjoy a Sunday at Augusta and wow, did he perform.

If he can go into the PGA calmly, he will win.

Considering the endorsement and appearance fee money the world's top 100 players receive, it's hard to imagine any of them feel "pressure" ton win a particular event.
Pressure was 60 years ago when Lee Trevino had $10 in his pocket while playing a match for $100.

Dustin Johnson

#1 player in the world and his stats are just crazy good for the season. Blew a big chance at the US Open and didn't play well at The Open Championship. Time to deliver.

Honorable Mention: DeChambeau. He's not likely getting picked for the RC team, so he needs to play seriously well.

Dustin Johnson

#1 player in the world and his stats are just crazy good for the season. Blew a big chance at the US Open and didn't play well at The Open Championship. Time to deliver.

Honorable Mention: DeChambeau. He's not likely getting picked for the RC team, so he needs to play seriously well.

I forgot about the RC thing. That could be huge.

Self pressure, media pressure, fan pressure? I think self pressure is Spieth and JT. Media & fan pressure with a mix of self pressure tiger leads the way.

I was thinking Fowler but it’s not unreasonable that he could be dropped from such a discussion without much argument.

I think Rory is under a lot of pressure to win. He just needs to get back to the winners circle and let people know he is still great.

Pressure is self induced. Spieth & D Johnson need this win. How they handle the internal self induced pressure will be telling.

Id say DJ. Needs this to stay up top

Dustin Johnson

I was surprised this morning when I checked the money list and Bryson was in the top 10 this year.

I think Rory is under a lot of pressure to win. He just needs to get back to the winners circle and let people know he is still great.

I think you are right on point. He hasn’t won a major in 4 years. That’s hard to fathom considering his dominance from 2012-2014.

Honorable mention is Rickie Fowler. When is his resume going to equal his talent? He needs 3/4 majors but has to start with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s Rickie, because he still hasn’t broken through yet, despite numerous decent attempts at doing so.

Rickie due to the numerous close calls and not having won any yet.

Back