Underrated All Time Greats

DataDude

Snakebite X Fan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know, weird thread title, but this thread is to post about players that are known as being really good, but you think they might actually be an all time great.

Mine can be an example of what I mean:

Larry Fitzgerald - always been thought of as a really good WR. In his prime was always listed as a top 5 WR, but IMO he is an all time great. He has more tackles than drops in his career. He has played at a high level for a long time. He is creeping up all time stats lists and he is still a valuable weapon for a competing team in his last year before retirement. IMO he is one of the best WR's to ever play and probably a lot underrated in that regard.

I know, weird thread title, but this thread is to post about players that are known as being really good, but you think they might actually be an all time great.

Mine can be an example of what I mean:

Larry Fitzgerald - always been thought of as a really good WR. In his prime was always listed as a top 5 WR, but IMO he is an all time great. He has more tackles than drops in his career. He has played at a high level for a long time. He is creeping up all time stats lists and he is still a valuable weapon for a competing team in his last year before retirement. IMO he is one of the best WR's to ever play and probably a lot underrated in that regard.
Couldn't agree more. Possibly the best hands in NFL history.

My two guys are Chris Webber and Scottie Pippen (sorry, I'm indecisive). I think Webber rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but before the back problems, he was a monster. He made Sacramento and Washington relevant which wasn't easy. The Western Conference was just loaded when he was in Sacramento.

As for Pippen, I just don't think he will ever get the credit he deserves because he played with MJ. He could pretty much defend anyone, ran some point, could give you 20 a night, and was a great passer. MJ definitely doesn't have the career he had without Pippen.

Sterling Sharpe. Should be a HOF’er and would have topped a number of all-time lists if not for the career-ending injury.

Mark Howe was a hell of a D-man who was completely overshadowed by his father

Tough call to pick one but as a 49er fan I would say Frank Gore and Bryant Young.

Bryant young was an absolute beast, I’ve beard a couple of opposing offensive lineman call him the best they have ever played against. He’s probably a long shot for the HOF as he was doubled his whole career and doesn’t have the sack stats.

Frank is a top 3 rusher all time and I hear people constantly saying he’s not a HOFer. He put up those rushing stats on some of the worst passing offenses in the league that were stacking the box against him and he was an all time great pass blocker.

I was going to start a thread on people who died before there time but I think I can put this here as well. Terry Kath lead guitarist and vocals of the band Chicago. Died after a bad game of russian roulette at the height of the bands popularity. Jimi Hendrix once said he was a better guitarist than himself. With a voice like Ray Charles and his guitar skills I think he qualifies as an underrated all time great who would have done even greater things if not for his early death.

Last edited:
NFL, for me its Roger Craig. First running back ever to have 1000 yd rushing + 1000 yd receiving in the same season. That has only been repeated once since, and that guy is in the HOF.

NBA, just like @ljkelly2171 said about Pippen, I'd say about James Worthy. Never get the credit he deserves because he was with Magic, Jabbar, and the rest of the Showtime Lakers.

MLB, SF Giants Matt Williams. Maybe the best third baseman the SF Giants ever had, was on track to possibly break Maris' home run record in 94' until the player's strike ended the season, and that was before the juiced balls and juiced hitters that followed a few years later.

Reggie Smith - switch-hitting OF who played for Boston, St Louis, LA, and SF. The 2.5 years he was in St Louis he just plain wore out some pretty decent Pirates teams and a lot of others as well. He was one of those guys I never wanted to see come to the plate against my team. No respect from the HOF committee despite 314 HR and a career .287 average.

MLB- Dale Murphy-Why he isn’t in the HoF is a travesty!

NFL, for me its Roger Craig. First running back ever to have 1000 yd rushing + 1000 yd receiving in the same season. That has only been repeated once since, and that guy is in the HOF.
twice, Faulk and McCaffrey

He may not be the most underrated WR I know of, Hines Ward.

He was probably the best blocking wr of his time to go with two Super Bowls, One Super Bowl MVP, four All Pros, 14th in receptions, 26th in receiving yards, and 15th in TDS. Yet, still not in the Hall of Fame.

Billy Casper...it should have been the big 4. He had 51 wins on Tour...including winning a tournament for 16 consecutive seasons. He is ranked 7th all time in number of wins.

NBA, just like @ljkelly2171 said about Pippen, I'd say about James Worthy. Never get the credit he deserves because he was with Magic, Jabbar, and the rest of the Showtime Lakers.

MLB, SF Giants Matt Williams. Maybe the best third baseman the SF Giants ever had, was on track to possibly break Maris' home run record in 94' until the player's strike ended the season, and that was before the juiced balls and juiced hitters that followed a few years later.
In MLB I always thought Barry Larkin got short shrift because he played at the same time as Ozzie Smith who all the writers were smitten with. Larkin was almost as good in the field and could hit much better.

we think alike...Craig and Williams popped right into my head (I’m kind of an SF guy, tho)...Worthy is a great mention here as well...I think more so than Pippen who gets his fair share of talk compared to Worthy.

Back