Unfortunate time of year

mreiter

Titleist Junkie
Reaction score
Handicap
Living in Ohio has some of the most beautiful scenery of the fall foliage and the colors are amazing. Its what comes after that I don`t like...Snow. I am looking forward to hanging out here in the winter months to keep my golf interest peaked. We do get out occasionally when the weather gets in the 50`s and if there is no snow on the ground but for the most part its putting inside, hanging out with the THPer`s, and watching YouTube videos.

It’s a beautiful time of year here as well but a little bit of a sad atmosphere at the club knowing that our season ends November 2nd for about 5 months. We cover all our greens in the winter with large tarps so even if the weather is warm enough in early November they shut it down. Most of my golf in the winter will be on the two indoor simulators at my club although this winter I will get in about 15 to 20 rounds in Florida. My daughters high school ski team practices start in a month and all of her hockey friends are already practicing.

The fall colors haven’t peaked here yet but they have farther north as you can see from these Sunday pictures. D849B30E-6CA3-4843-BAD8-74E787DB19F9.jpeg3724A42D-D23C-4E6B-AE4B-B5B13DD91CE4.jpeg352A8009-FCF7-4452-B245-5570B016F93B.jpegWe were up at our cabin taking boats and jetskis out of the water last weekend and buttoning things up for the winter. I do love the change of seasons and am damn happy to be out of California after 20 years there.

I don’t have it as bad as that, I can still get out in some parts of the winter. I do hate the cold and snow and darkness at 5 in the evening.

Our course is open all winter so snow and extreme cold are the only things that stop me. That said the game is different in the winter. The ground is mushy, the swing is tighter, and the ball is harder. It really lengthens the golf course and eliminates a lot of the ground game you can play in the dry summer months.

Did someone say fall foliage?

Beautiful colors and a great looking hole! Here’s one from the front of our house.

ED2F73DC-8008-4031-8F67-6E83E1E61FD2.jpeg

Some damn beautiful pics...Middle GA here so, golf year round is possible with the exception of a cold spell or two we're likely to get. It does get tough though as dormant bermuda thins out and you're basically playing off the dirt/mud.

I played alot last winter compared to most years and I actually developed some bad habits playing off the winter surface....but hey, I'm not complaining!

Stationed in Ohio for 5 years and remember disliking the winters because they were just meh. Sorta stuck in between. Usually too cold and yucky for things like golf but not cold enough to count on the winter activities I always looked forward to. Ice fishing, snowmobiling, cross country skiing etc...
I was fortunate that the position there required @180 days/year travel, and we'd schedule most of our winter missions some place we could golf.

Winter golf is usually possible where I'm at now, (SW Missouri). Not all the time but some of the better winters have more days where you can than you can't.

Winter = sim season for me, but if it is above 40 and sunny, I will get out.

We run into the same problem in NJ. They have opened up a couple indoor facilities with the trackman software, however nothing beats getting out on the course!! The leaves are starting to fall here now, so good luck trying to find your ball..then comes the snow. I definitely try to sneak a round in during the winter when the weather allows though!

Agree. Theres nothing like fall in the midwest (although I sure fall in the upper east coast is great too) but the only downside is that you know winter is not far away and the season is coming to an end.
I love the fall and winter but I also hate it because it means no golf for a few months.

IMG_20191018_134621409.jpg

There is nothing unfortunate about being up at the lake place in the fall.

:)

Last edited:
I get it. I endured 10 Michigan winters. Now I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and as far as golf goes, feel very blessed. There are two things I miss: fall color and thunderstorms. Thanks, guys for the pictures of the fall colors. I appreciate that. Around here, lots of people are frightened by thunderstorms. They are rare. As you know, those of us who grew up with that get some of our best night's sleep during thunderstorms.

It’s been great weather, I am hoping that winter will miss us this year :rolleyes:.

Big Pine Lake by Perham.

Strategically located near Thumper Pond in Ottertail for guy's weekend golfing.

Love it! I was invited to go up to a buddies cabin this weekend for golf and duck hunting not far from Perham but we are in Florida for a long weekend. Of course it’s rainy in Florida and it looks like the sunny 65* weather in MN is better this weekend, lol. Our little slice of heaven is only an hour drive to the east of yours in East Gull Lake and has a very similar view including fire pit.

60C1D2EC-73A1-44DC-8B71-BBDE22544272.jpeg

Niiiiice view.

I usually deer hunt over on lower Whitfish in your neck of the woods. That's a nice area.

And, yes, the weather is perfect up here this weekend.

Had our first day of really crappy, rainy day of the fall.....it is coming...

It’s not just the fall weather; it’s the diminishing daylight. Today the sun was setting as I drove home from work (sunset was 5:56). I’m not looking forward to the end of daylight savings time in a week and a half. The clocks back an hour means it will be dark before I leave work.

I typically hate this time of the year. Daylight is shorter, it's getting cold and everything is dying. This year is a little different though as I've really been enjoying the fall scenery during all of the driving I'm doing for work. I'll probably be pretty depressed in about a week when it's white outside though.

For y’all that’ll enough snow

Back