United Airlines Incident

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Regarding:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/travel/passenger-removed-united-flight-trnd/index.html

Am I the only one who has absolutely no problem with this?

It's not your #$@# plane. It's their plane. You don't get to say who flies on the plane, they do.

Yeah, you're a doctor, I get it. If you explained that and they still thought you were the most appropriate person to leave, get your crap and get off the plane. Sue them if you want, but don't force them to drag you off the plane. As for being a doctor, what would you have done if your flight had been cancelled for weather reasons? Maybe do that.

P.S. Sorry your nose got bumped on an armrest as they dragged you off...OK, not sorry at all.

So, you paid for a flight, got in your seat, and were subsequently KOed because you intended to actually use that seat?

Nah, not okay with it. Hopefully he sues the crap out of them. Morons need to stop overbooking their flights.

He gets what he deserved.. just drive to Louisville. Or act like an adult.

How do they decide who has to leave when they overbook a flight? Is it like Southwest with no assigned seats because otherwise how/why would you book the same seat twice? I don't fly enough to understand the process.

He gets what he deserved.. just drive to Louisville. Or act like an adult.

What?!?!?!

He paid for a ticket and sat in his seat like a normal human being. What part of that is his fault that stupid airlines overbook and then force disruption into people's lives because of it?

How do they decide who has to leave when they overbook a flight? Is it like Southwest with no assigned seats because otherwise how/why would you book the same seat twice? I don't fly enough to understand the process.

I've read a couple things now, with one suggesting that four crew members needed a ride.

So how about you put the people that didn't make the flight on another airline. Why does this poor man have to leave because he won the oversold lottery. F*ck that and I wish someone would put hands on me. I hope he not only sues the airline but the people that assulted him. They are not the law and have no right to put hands on him.

The crew should have called the police if it was needed. But the man paid for his seat and it's not his problem that united cant count.

I don't have any inside knowledge, but they apparently have a priority system, such as keeping families together, probably keeping people with connecting flights, etc. There's no good answer I'm sure. They just have to make the best determination they can. If you're unlucky enough to get your number called, that's just tough luck.

Im not sure where I stand on the what happened to him, but I hate that as a nation the first thought is "Im suing and getting my windfall". Not directed at any THPers, but that is how social media moves these days.
Someone should be made whole and then life goes on.

What?!?!?!

He paid for a ticket and sat in his seat like a normal human being. What part of that is his fault that stupid airlines overbook and then force disruption into people's lives because of it?

Overbooking is a known part of the airlines booking process. You agree to the fact your seat is not guaranteed every time you buy a ticket (check the fine print). Overbooking is not going away. It's like saying "they should build these highways with enough capacity so traffic jams never happen."

I don't have any inside knowledge, but they apparently have a priority system, such as keeping families together, probably keeping people with connecting flights, etc. There's no good answer I'm sure. They just have to make the best determination they can. If you're unlucky enough to get your number called, that's just tough luck.

Or, you know, the stupid airlines could stop overbooking flights and never have this issue (check Google, they do it constantly).

Why in the world is it the fault of the individual traveler? Why would you ever accept that?

Overbooking is a known part of the airlines booking process. You agree to the fact your seat is not guaranteed every time you buy a ticket (check the fine print). Overbooking is not going away. It's like saying "they should build these highways with enough capacity so traffic jams never happen."

No it's not. The police aren't stopping your car, forcefully removing you from it, and making you sit in a hotel for a night before you can begin traveling again.

Or, you know, the stupid airlines could stop overbooking flights and never have this issue (check Google, they do it constantly).

Why in the world is it the fault of the individual traveler? Why would you ever accept that?

The one thing I would say here is that the T&Cs say this. With the amount of cancelations that take place, and someone that knows all too well about late cancelations and being stuck holding the bag, I get that part of it.

Im not sure where I stand on the what happened to him, but I hate that as a nation the first thought is "Im suing and getting my windfall". Not directed at any THPers, but that is how social media moves these days.
Someone should be made whole and then life goes on.

Oh, I agree JB. What he should do is get off the flight and raise holy hell until the airline puts him on another airline or compensates him in the manner he feels acceptable. If they completely fail to do that, then obviously his last option would be to sue.

Or actually, I've found that if you be extremely nice about it, that's the best way to get what you want in most cases (your hotel experience excepted).

The one thing I would say here is that the T&Cs say this. With the amount of cancelations that take place, and someone that knows all too well about late cancelations and being stuck holding the bag, I get that part of it.

Just another reason to absolutely hate air travel. The idea of screwing a customer to support a business plan doesn't hold a great deal of water with me. I'd rather them cater to those who don't cancel.

While I hate that the airlines overbook and then just kick people off, it is a fact of flying and it's not going to change.
The passenger acted like an idiot and is quite lucky he didn't get tazed.

"Authorities" removed him from the flight which I assume is some sort of law enforcement.

Oh, I agree JB. What he should do is get off the flight and raise holy hell until the airline puts him on another airline or compensates him in the manner he feels acceptable. If they completely fail to do that, then obviously his last option would be to sue.

Just another reason to absolutely hate air travel. The idea of screwing a customer to support a business plan doesn't hold a great deal of water with me. I'd rather them cater to those who don't cancel.

I agree with both of these. It sucks. It really sucks. I just don't understand the tantrum side of it and then the suing over it.
Make hte airline make you whole and move on with your wallet towards another carrier.

While I hate that the airlines overbook and then just kick people off, it is a fact of flying and it's not going to change.
The passenger acted like an idiot and is quite lucky he didn't get tazed.

I'm not so sure taking an armrest to the face was all that much better.

Doesn't the airline owe you cash compensation by law if you're bumped from an overbooked flight?

United sucks, and the dude is an ass. There is no winner in this situation. I have no idea how United allowed the passengers to board before finding their "volunteers". So they share that part of the blame, but dude, are you really going to make them drag you from your seat? Are you a 5 year old? Aren't you a little old for temper tantrums? It sucks, get off the plane, raise hell with customer service, do whatever you need to do. But how exactly did your situation improve by making them drag you off?

United's customer service is the worst, so it doesn't surprise me they bungled the situation, but I see zero justification for doing what the "doctor" did.

Difficult to say right or wrong up to the point they grabbed him. Call the Police, keep your hands to yourself. At that point the airline was wrong in my opinion!!

Doesn't the airline owe you cash compensation by law if you're bumped from an overbooked flight?

Im not sure. That could be the case. I have had missed flights happen for various reasons (be it weather, overbooked, etc). It sucks. It sucks royally. I never thought to throw a tantrum and sue however.
I voiced my concerns with the proper people and was made whole again, usually with bonus. The only place that did not make me whole, ever from an airline is when someone threw up all over me on a Southwest flight and the flight attendant could do nothing but laugh.

I suppose I should have sued them for embarrassment...haha

I don't think they're required to give you compensation. I think they may be required to pay for your food, transportation, and lodging if no flight the same day is available. They typically do offer compensation to try to get volunteers, but I don't think it's mandatory.

Why does everyone just accept that overbooking is part of airline travel?
If I pay for a ticket I expect to get to my destination at my scheduled time. The fact that it is in the fine print and that is an acceptable reason of this practice is crazy. Don't take my money until my ticket is fully guaranteed.
Seems like a lot of taking from the airline but not much giving to the consumer in this case.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

United sucks, and the dude is an ass. There is no winner in this situation. I have no idea how United allowed the passengers to board before finding their "volunteers". So they share that part of the blame, but dude, are you really going to make them drag you from your seat? Are you a 5 year old? Aren't you a little old for temper tantrums? It sucks, get off the plane, raise hell with customer service, do whatever you need to do. But how exactly did your situation improve by making them drag you off?

United's customer service is the worst, so it doesn't surprise me they bungled the situation, but I see zero justification for doing what the "doctor" did.

That is a great point. Yeah, Terms and Conditions whatever, but do NOT let these people board a flight only to kick them off. That's insanity. For as much as flying feels like cattle being herded, it would be nice to see airlines find as many ways as possible to treat us like human beings.

Back