Unluckiest experience on a Golf Course

Goin4Par

Reaction score
Handicap
+25
Our group was on the green and one guy needed a ball marker, so I tossed him my marker.
When he tossed it back, I missed it and it landed in the hole.
Did you know a ball marker could fit in the flag stick hole?
It was my lucky marker and did not want to lose it.
So the four of us got down on the green, looking into the hole trying to reach it.
What a odd sight for the group following us!

I have 2.
The first one was my senior year in high school. I was on the last hole of a 9 hole match against a conference team. I hit a punch shot up a hill that had a ravine in front of it that was totally in play. I saw the ball creep up to the crest and then saw it disappear down the hill. I walked up and and ball is nowhere to be found. It must have gone down a gopher hole. I make triple and we tie for the match and go to our 5th score. We lose by 1 and that cost our team the conference title.

The 2nd one happened this year during the club championship final round. I was leading by 2 on the 13th hole. I flared my 3 wood right and tried to clear a tree with my lay up and thinned it a little, right into the tree. There was 15 or so people on the hole with us and no one saw it. It stayed in the tree. Made a triple and lost by 1.

Sounds like they left a scar or two.....

I have 2.
The first one was my senior year in high school. I was on the last hole of a 9 hole match against a conference team. I hit a punch shot up a hill that had a ravine in front of it that was totally in play. I saw the ball creep up to the crest and then saw it disappear down the hill. I walked up and and ball is nowhere to be found. It must have gone down a gopher hole. I make triple and we tie for the match and go to our 5th score. We lose by 1 and that cost our team the conference title.

The 2nd one happened this year during the club championship final round. I was leading by 2 on the 13th hole. I flared my 3 wood right and tried to clear a tree with my lay up and thinned it a little, right into the tree. There was 15 or so people on the hole with us and no one saw it. It stayed in the tree. Made a triple and lost by 1.

You'll think this odd and untrue. But not once but twice....I have hit the cup on a par 3 when my playing partner scored an ace...Once via my pitch mark was on the cup and hit the top of the cup and richocheted 30 feet. The other hit bounced hit pin and stopped 10 feet away. I made two pars. Partners 1's. hole 17 Great River Hole 15 Blackledge Anderson

When I first started playing I hit a ball in the water and it was just out of reach,so I took my shoes and socks off and took 2 steps into the mud,my 3rd step mud turned into quicksand and my foot sunk then got poked by something really sharp. 35 minutes later of was getting stitches in the emergency room it was deep and blood was gushing out, Had a small crowd of nurses wondering how playing golf can a person get stitches in the foot.
The end

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

When I first started playing I hit a ball in the water and it was just out of reach,so I took my shoes and socks off and took 2 steps into the mud,my 3rd step mud turned into quicksand and my foot sunk then got poked by something really sharp. 35 minutes later of was getting stitches in the emergency room it was deep and blood was gushing out, Had a small crowd of nurses wondering how playing golf can a person get stitches in the foot.
The end

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Ouch! Hurts just thinking about it!

My story is golf hole related but not me personally. Years ago, went miniature golfing with my wife and another couple. Seemed uneventful until the next morning when my wife got a call from her friend that told her somewhere along the way the diamond had been lost from her wedding ring setting. They went back to the miniature golf place and searched the entire course. Unbelievably, they found the diamond at the bottom of one of the cups on the course!

My story is golf hole related but not me personally. Years ago, went miniature golfing with my wife and another couple. Seemed uneventful until the next morning when my wife got a call from her friend that told her somewhere along the way the diamond had been lost from her wedding ring setting. They went back to the miniature golf place and searched the entire course. Unbelievably, they found the diamond at the bottom of one of the cups on the course!
That is crazy that they found it!

Nothing major unlucky. I've hit a sprinkler head in the fringe and bounced over a green into OB and had a mysterious fairway disappearing ball occurrence (likely into a ground squirrel hole).

Many years ago while playing in a charity scramble one of the par 3's had a hole in one prize of a new car. It was set up from the tips and I had to hit my 3 wood to carry the hazard in front. My ball went in the cup on the fly and bounced out---stopping about 6 feet away.

You would think that you’d be safe standing behind someone on the tee... ah, but you would be wrong. I was standing behind my Dad who was teeing off- he took his mighty digging a ditch, chopping wood swing and... the ball rocketed off the hosel straight back between his legs square into my shin... at what seemed like 100mph.

I had 2 balls disappear in the fairway in the same round. We had had some rain but nothing terribly heavy. Both shots pured. No possibility of running through the fairway, they weren’t near either side of the fairway. Butt cut. No one who could’ve picked up the balls.

My playing partners couldn’t believe it. I was pissed. They had to have buried but we saw no sign of a ball digging in.

My unluckiest golf experience was an absolute fluke that cost me what looked like a certain hole in one. Would've been my first and was just a beautiful shot. In if the missing flag stick someone had tossed down by the river wasn't temporarily replaced by a thick wooden shovel handle with a rag taped to the top of it. But it all balanced out. Years later I did make my one and only hole in one. It was gawd awful ugly and undeserved (should've gone OOB actually). By far my luckiest experience, golf related or otherwise.

Last edited:
Many years ago while playing in a charity scramble one of the par 3's had a hole in one prize of a new car. It was set up from the tips and I had to hit my 3 wood to carry the hazard in front. My ball went in the cup on the fly and bounced out---stopping about 6 feet away.

Had a similar experience although not in a tournament, was playing Blackhawk in Edmonton shortly after it opened with my wife and son when on elevated Par 3 my tee shot went directly into the hole on the fly and popped out 2” from the hole. Group in front saw the entire thing. It would have been my first HIO at the time so I was pretty disappointed. Few months later I was lucky to get my first HIO in a tournament and win 36 dozen golf balls ?.

About 8 years ago, I had shredded the meniscus in my right knee.
I was riding in the passenger seat of the cart my friend was driving. Coming up the 15th hole, middle of the fairway, I was sitting on the edge of the seat, looking to the right for a ball. My friend was looking left for a ball.
Well he saw a ball and abruptly turned left, while we were going at a good speed. Me looking right, and sitting on the edge of the seat, inertia flung me out of the cart.
Not wanting to jar my leg, I elected to try and tuck and roll.
Well, I failed, and landed flat on my side.

While I didn’t break par, I did break 2 ribs. :(

I fell into a pond

I watch a friend get pissed because he hit into a pond, slamming club on the ground, figuring out where to drop cussing the whole time....dropped a ball and hit only to realize he did not set the brake on his push cart. Rolled into the pond....he jumped in after it and we drug it out, everything was soaked.....he pissed and moaned the whole way around trying to dry his grips and taking forever on every shot....

And then there was the time I thought I was safe standing 20 feet further from the hole than my partner while she took her shot. As I got ready to follow the flight, she took a mighty swing and drilled a thinner about 12” off the ground... a bit right... and hit a steel water pipe that was 4” in diameter and 24” high sticking up out of the ground 10’ ahead of her. Before I could react to the CLANG, ball struck the inside of my left ankle right on that bone thing. Dropped me like a sack of wet cement. Barely managed to finish the hole(9th) and get to the bar for a few shots of Jack. I did finish the round, though.

17th hole par 3 on my home course. I give up. It's an 8 iron shot. I constantly block it into the trees. So this time I decide I'm going to hit a 7 iron punch and land it about 15 yds short and let it run up on the green. I hit it perfectly. It landed in the rough 15 yds short, bounced, landed on the fringe, and rolled all the way off the huge green into the deep rough behind the green, leading to a very difficult pitch on, a three putt for the usual double bogey.

The other one was on the 5th hole. I had a clear shot to get on in regulation with my 8 iron. All I had to do was hit it left of this one tree. So I hit it left of the tree that was midway between me and the green. But the tree had one skinny and I mean skinny little tiny stinking tiny twig sized branch sticking out and the ball hit it and deflected all the way across the fairway and landed two inches on the other side of the OB stakes.

Back