Unsolicited Golf Swing Advice

Simple response .... "I'm sorry, did I ask you for your advice?"

I never give advice unless asked. Especially if it's criticizing @JohnSinVA swing! YIKES! You could be there all day :eek: :ROFLMAO:

99% of the time I hate the tee-box tip giver.

One day last spring, I was paired up with a really good player. I wasn't hitting the ball well. On the 9th tee he told me I had a nice swing, but my backswing was a bit too fast. He gave me a swing thought (comparing it flyfishing). It totally changed my swing for the rest of the round and the season. Played the best golf of my life.

KNowing I am not a good golfer by any means, I am putting together what I think is a good swing. If I am given swing advice from someone, likely the only time I listen is if I know they are a coach or instructor. Otherwise I let it go in one ear and out the other.

99% of the time I hate the tee-box tip giver.

One day last spring, I was paired up with a really good player. I wasn't hitting the ball well. On the 9th tee he told me I had a nice swing, but my backswing was a bit too fast. He gave me a swing thought (comparing it flyfishing). It totally changed my swing for the rest of the round and the season. Played the best golf of my life.

Yes, it's part of the game.
One thing a player should do is become aware of who is good and who is not. The best way to judge this is by their playing skill. If someone is hitting every fairway and every green with great looking shots, that person knows what matters and may be of help to you.
If someone is mishitting shots don't listen to that person.
The above is true for finding a competent paid instructor as well. If the teacher played for several years on the PGA or LPGA Tour he/she will absolutely know what matters.
If the instructor is someone who just likes golf and has hung out his/her shingle to accept money for giving lessons, but does not routinely shoot 72 when he/she plays the course, there is a good chance they are faking it as an instructor and not truly competent to give lessons.

Unwanted and unwelcomed advice from strangers is awesome. Unexpected advice from friends and colleagues Priceless :drinks:

Back