Unsolicited Golf Swing Advice

Earbuds are AMAZING on the range.
You don't even need to have music playing, it keeps the advice-givers at bay.

I neither give nor receive any advice regarding my golf swing or anyone else's swing.

yes they are. Also at the gym, at home........
seriously though, I’m usually polite and then carry on with what I’m doing.

Someone gave me a tip years ago about how to get out of a sand trap. It worked. That's all I've got. No one comments on my swing.

If someone did offer advice there are plenty of ways to handle it:

"You should ..." "What?" "You should..." "WHAT!" "YOU SHOULD ....." "WHAT!!! CAN'T HEAR YOU! FORGOT MY HEARING AIDS! SPEAK UP!!!" And chuckle as they yell.

"You should ..." Look at them with a confused look... "I no English." If they try to continue rattle something off in another language.

"You should ..." "Free advice? Can I see your PGA or LPGA teaching credentials please?"

"You should ..." "If you want to change my game, you got to buy me new clubs first. I'm not changing my game for you for free."

I only offer it to my kids and I’ll ask my dad if I see something totally off if he wasnts to see what he’s doing wrong. Usually I’ll take a video next swing and show him and let him work out how to fix it.

Strangers? Never. As someone with an, ahem, “unique” swing I rarely get tips from strangers. There ain’t no fixing what I’m doing, lol.

@dacatalyst41 Id be impressed if the manager knew who Jobe was! :LOL:

Anyways, I hate seeing guys trying to hand out advice. One time, I was hitting some drivers and they started to go from a fade to a slice and an older gentleman told me to just put the ball in the back of my stance and I’d be hitting draws in no time.

:unsure::unsure:

In this situation or something similar I'd be asking for the person to be quiet and keep to themselves, or if possible just ignore and walk away

This is my take as well. There's always a way to approach someone and if it's done right, I'm all ears. I just would never waste time trying to offer advice to someone who obviously does it better than me.
Yep no doubt about it— if I see someone launching 2 irons 260+ the odds of me being able to help you at all are slim to absolutely none.

My old boss loved to give me swing tips. He’s a 7 hdcp so he’s not a slouch, but I never asked for it. I always enjoyed stomping him on the course by 4-6 shots by not listening to one damn bit of advice he gave me. The golf course is MY office, not yours.

I usually just nod politely and smile. One of my league playing partners does this. My favorite was one day when he told me "Kevin, you really need to know how to work the ball both ways" and proceeded to give me tips. He's about a 15 handicap and has a really wonky swing so it was pretty funny.

At 72, I've learned to NEVER offer unsolicited advice. If anyone gives me swing advice I tell them I'm too old to learn new tricks.

Now I will listen to advice on how a putt breaks, green speed, wind-affected yardage, etc., from the guys I regularly play with, but that's about it.

It really depends on when and what it may be. Last week I made a comment about my ball flight direction, and the guy I was playing with offered a simple that’s exactly where you were lined up. I actually appreciate that, I didn’t realize.
Another time it was a guy bragging about his HC and how far he hits the ball. After 7 holes I was 6 up on him with my 16 higher HC. He started telling me you’re doing this all wrong, you’re doing that all wrong. I let it get in my head. Should have slapped him and said the only thing I did wrong was not do that sooner.;)

I usually just nod politely and smile. One of my league playing partners does this. My favorite was one day when he told me "Kevin, you really need to know how to work the ball both ways" and proceeded to give me tips. He's about a 15 handicap and has a really wonky swing so it was pretty funny.
You should've told him to go stand in the bunker and then say it again...

Really depends on who's giving it.... One tip this past weekend from someone helped me out immensely. If it's someone who approaches it the right way, I'll definitely listen. If it's gone about in a preachy way- you're likely to hear me say thanks but ignore it.

At this point, I don't think it matters who's giving the advice - not even a world class teaching pro. What are they going to say in 5 minutes that's going to help? What fault are they going to point out that I'll be able to fix? I can look at my swing on video and point out 10 different faults (may or may not be an exaggeration). I don't know how to work on them. Hell, I've been working on getting a proper weight shift for like 5 years now and I've yet to receive advice that I can apply towards fixing the problem.

If I want advice I'll go out and hire someone who would hopefully be as committed as I am to making the changes.

I know a lot of people have a problem with this. I've even had guys come up to me and tell me having my AirPods in my ears was "rude" and "standoffish". I kind of thought that was the point but this guy pushed straight thru that barrier.

At this point, I don't think it matters who's giving the advice - not even a world class teaching pro. What are they going to say in 5 minutes that's going to help? What fault are they going to point out that I'll be able to fix? I can look at my swing on video and point out 10 different faults (may or may not be an exaggeration). I don't know how to work on them. Hell, I've been working on getting a proper weight shift for like 5 years now and I've yet to receive advice that I can apply towards fixing the problem.

If I want advice I'll go out and hire someone who would hopefully be as committed as I am to making the changes.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. As I mentioned one tip for me helped immensely, and then got another one on the putting green that helped just as much.

Maybe because I’ve not been at it as long as others, those little tips stick a bit more.To each their own though.

Last edited:
I "once" gave my playing partner, my wife, unsolicited advice...

I have no problem with anyone giving me advice, doesn't bother me at all. Hey they might be right.

I "once" gave my playing partner, my wife, unsolicited advice...

The people who raised you should be very proud. Not only did they equip you with the self defense skills to survive such a poor poor decision, but they taught you to learn from your mistakes because as you indicated it was a one time thing.

Hats off to the older generation in your life my friend.

The only time I have had unsolicited advice was from a teaching pro who was at the range I was practicing at as we were talking about a couple of my clubs at the time and he had spotted something, so asked me a few questions to get me to identify what I was doing and when I realised what he was getting at, he gave me a simple tip that instantly had me striping the ball again

It doesn't tend to be a thing where I am, maybe I am lucky but it is rare I even see it at the ranges when I go to practice - although many times if I am going for a long session I will stick earphones in and chill to some music whilst hitting

I don't mind unsolicited golf advice for my Putting, it's an area that I'd listen and perhaps apply it.

Now my golf swing? Keep comments to yourself. Last Monday my friend in the clubhouse said I need to trust my draw more, that is OK with me.

But trying to tell me how to hit a knockdown or that my full swing could use a bigger turn...Nah, you play your game.

Back