Elbow Jobertski

Reaction score
Handicap
I've not had one but have had three near misses (as in touched cup but didn't fall) in the last few years. I was pondering what I would do if one of them had gone in...

I think I might have mentioned it offhand to a friend or two, but I'm sort of unexcitable and well, it would have been my 8th hoi which means it isn't a life milestone or anything. Which probably puts me far from typical.

Anyone have unwitnessed hio stories or speculation of how you would handle it?

Thankfully mine was witnessed. I have hit the stick twice by myself but not holed one out.
Congrats on having 8!!!!

I’d be shouting about it. I couldn’t live with myself lying about one so I wouldn’t have any qualms about broadcasting one either.

Okay, firstly - you have 7 hole in ones?! Share some of the wealth!!

For me, I’d count it. Probably take a video too! I couldn’t lie about it, and anyone who knows me would see that I’m being truthful.

Nope no stories, but 8 :oops: dang congrats

I play alone quite a bit, so this has absolutely crossed my mind before. I've never had a HIO, and if I ever do, and there are no witnesses, I will still claim it, talk about it, and remember it forever.

I've not had one but have had three near misses (as in touched cup but didn't fall) in the last few years. I was pondering what I would do if one of them had gone in...

I think I might have mentioned it offhand to a friend or two, but I'm sort of unexcitable and well, it would have been my 8th hoi which means it isn't a life milestone or anything. Which probably puts me far from typical.

Anyone have unwitnessed hio stories or speculation of how you would handle it?

I would 1000% Claim it. I have had a couple of "close calls" where I lost the ball somewhere in the vicinity of the hole, and each time I have actually pulled my phone out and recorded my cart ride to the green, only to be disappointed when the ball ended up 15 feet or more past the hole :ROFLMAO:

Had one last year and hardly told anyone. Stealth mode golf.

7 prior HIO? I'm sorry, what else were you talking about?

But seriously, I'd tell people. My kids and wife would be super thrilled about it. As for me, I got a HIO a couple of years ago. It was the first hole of league, and I literally basically ran to the tee box because I was late. It went in. I wasn't sure what to do. Everyone else sure seemed excited. I was just thinking that I still had 8 more holes to play for league.

~Rock

I would definitely claim it....if i made it, its mine.

I had one unwitnessed hio about 25 years ago. Never have boosted about it since I was the only one that saw it but in my mind I have one in my golfing life.

I have one. I sort of claim it.

I'd definitely claim it. Yikes you're one ahead of me ... I've had 6. Two of them were in practice rounds in high school and I was playing alone in the last group. So my teammates never witnessed it, but they heard me yell more than once on the next tee box.

Never had one, but have been oh, so close, so many times. What I worry about is not whether someone will see my ace when (and if) it finally happens, but more that I'll pluck my par 3 tee shot into the water, then reload and put my second one in the hole for a par. It's one thing to know you had an ace whether someone else witnessed it or not. It's a much more painful thing to know you WOULD FINALLY HAVE that long-awaited ace, if you just hit it right the first time!

I'd buy myself a big drink and maybe a pitcher or two if there were guys in the club. I don't care whether someone sees it or not as I would know I had one. I'd rather them be a witness though.

Only had one and it was witnessed. This may be illogical because I’d love another but... I have played quite a bit of golf by myself over the years and had a few near misses. When the view has been obscured but I know it’s close, as I’ve walked up to the green my first and prevailing thought has been “please don’t be in...!” I’ve had a few 1 or 2 foot birdie 2 tap ins by myself but I’m saving hole in ones for witnesses 🤣.

I don't play solo that often but would still be thrilled. Came real close a couple times solo and the 'no witness regret' did cross my mind as those shots were inbound so I know it'd be a little different. Still I'd count it, and talk about it, every bit as much I do the one ace I have made; (especially if it the solo ace was a pretty one). The one I did hole was beyond ugly and undeserved but it was witnessed by a good friend while we were on a cross country road trip mission near the end of our Air Force careers. Congrats on SEVEN BTW🤯

Last edited:
No such luck for 45+ years. Witnessed or not. I’m wondering if OP saw the video Peter Finch posted yesterday. Playing solo, he finally got his Ace, but no witnesses. He did film the final few yards walking up to the green and show the ball in the hole.
These days, that’s about as good as you can do playing solo and believe you aced one- begin filming from the teebox walking to the hole.

7 prior HIO? I'm sorry, what else were you talking about?

I've played an unusually large number of par-3 holes. I did the math once and it isn't that far off statistical expectation.

(Also, that is the ones that are at least 110yds. Counting the pitch and putt course would add about five more on the list. )

I've only had one HIO and was playing in a foursome.

Your question reminds me of the commercial where the kid playing early in the morning and aced it but no one witnessed it. Or so he thought....the greenskeeper congratulated him.

I have nightmares about my first one coming during a random solo, or with the wife, where she's not even watching. Lol

I've thought about it a lot since I often walk onto the course late in the evening and play until dark. I think I'd call a neighbor and get them to come walk with me from the tee to the green.

I've only had one HIO and was playing in a foursome.

Your question reminds me of the commercial where the kid playing early in the morning and aced it but no one witnessed it. Or so he thought....the greenskeeper congratulated him.

lol... one of mine was witnessed only by one of the greens crew. He was mostly pissed because it was a skulled rocket that cracked the stick and dropped in. I guess if a hilarious stream of expletives with the general theme of me being lucky is congratulations it was like that commercial.

Another was only witnessed by the park manager. I was on the first tee; he had heard about the above (was about a month before) and that I had made four hois all off of mishits so he was breaking my balls about being lucky. Then in front of him I made a hole in one on a mis-hit that maybe got three feet off the ground and rolled downhill most of the 170 yards. That was a moment. He talked about that for years.

Back