USGA and R&A - Distance Rollback Proposals

Are you fact checking me? :ROFLMAO:
I pulled the data directly from the USGA (thus the word "tracked" in there).

"Fewer is used to refer to number among things that are counted, less is used to refer to quantity."
:cool:

The height of a basketball hoop is the same for amateurs and pros, 10 feet.
All basketball rims are 18 inches in diameter.
The same for LeBron, and for my brother (the 70 year old wonder child who believes that he is a master of the three point shot).
Why not golf?

But that is not what they are doing.
They are not ridding the game of all different tee boxes.
Are you suggesting that all golfers should hit it the exact same distance?

I believe that they're doing the right thing.
One of the things about golf is the dream that, given the right circumstances, the right course, the phase of the moon, whatever, any golfer could win a major.
Of course it's BS, but the fantasy remains and does, IMO, live strongly in the minds of millions of golfers.
When you get guys like Bryson able to spend months and money pumping up, and using a long shaft, the magic disappears and the dream dies.
If the R&A and the USGA adjust the rules to keep the "even playing field" dream alive, I say Bravo!

The only problem is they are not leveling the playing field. No matter what they do with the equipment, the best pro players will still swing faster and hit it further because you can't stop the training and athletic ability.

You are working incredibly hard to say absolutely nothing today.
Oh, I'm saying something.
You might not be understanding it, but that's your problem, not mine.
English grammar.
Look it up.:rolleyes:

Oh, I'm saying something.
You might not be understanding it, but that's your problem, not mine.
English grammar.
Look it up.:rolleyes:
Oh, I get what you're doing... playing grammar police on a golf forum.

It adds nothing to the conversation. It's just annoying.

"The research ... clearly shows that hitting distances have consistently increased through time, and if left unchecked, could threaten the long-term future of our game at every level and every golf course on which it is played,'' said Mike Davis, chief executive officer of the USGA.
How does a hyperbolic ninny like this get to be the head of a rule-making organization?

Whoa whoa let’s not get carried away here and add on-course out of bounds!

Didn't they do that in Hawaii to prevent cutting the corner on a par 5? No one seemed to mind and some still took on the challenge

Didn't they do that in Hawaii to prevent cutting the corner on a par 5? No one seemed to mind and some still took on the challenge
I’m just not a fan. In my opinion it’s lazy and the sign of a poorly designed course.

Where are bunkers having to be moved to impact the experience of 99.99% of golfers?

That's such a narrow perspective if that's what they are presenting.

It doesn't effect 99.99% of the golfers. I don't want the change. My main point of continual change was based on the golf courses side and not the USGA & R&A's side. It wasn't well stated. The experience of the members of these courses is definitely impacted by the renovations required to host tournaments. I know the members at Hazeltine had to haul range mats to every shot for a couple months to prevent divots and bunker renovations leading up to the Ryder Cup.

One of the things about golf is the dream that, given the right circumstances, the right course, the phase of the moon, whatever, any golfer could win a major.
Of course it's BS, but the fantasy remains and does, IMO, live strongly in the minds of millions of golfers.
When you get guys like Bryson able to spend months and money pumping up, and using a long shaft, the magic disappears and the dream dies.
If the R&A and the USGA adjust the rules to keep the "even playing field" dream alive, I say Bravo!
There are not enough of the correct type of words for me to fully express how strongly I disagree with you.

That Rory is a good cookie.

It doesn't effect 99.99% of the golfers. I don't want the change. My main point of continual change was based on the golf courses side and not the USGA & R&A's side. It wasn't well stated. The experience of the members of these courses is definitely impacted by the renovations required to host tournaments. I know the members at Hazeltine had to haul range mats to every shot for a couple months to prevent divots and bunker renovations leading up to the Ryder Cup.

Isn't the answer rather simple then? Don't host an event there? I know it sounds crude, but I struggle with this in multiple ways. Jack and Watson, etc etc etc all have talked about building course issues, and yet they continue to build really long courses. Its possible to say no and draw a line in the sand. The other side is if the members want to take back their course, they can and tour events can choose to either visit other facilities or find a home that is best suited. We have seen 8k courses or so get shredded by the tour pro, so going longer obviously isn't the answer.

Rory says the governing bodies are looking at the game through a tiny lens.
That 99.9% of golfers play it for fun and enjoyment.
We have to make the game as easy and as approachable as possible for golfers.
He thinks the insight report has been a huge waste of time and money.
That money could have been way better distributed to getting people/kids into the game.

Damnit Rors, I am fond of you.

Rory says the governing bodies are looking at the game through a tiny lens.
That 99.9% of golfers play it for fun and enjoyment.
We have to make the game as easy and as approachable as possible for golfers.
He thinks the insight report has been a huge waste of time and money.
That money could have been way better distributed to getting people/kids into the game.

Damnit Rors, I am fond of you.

Bryson was 45th in driving distance 4 years ago. He worked his butt off for over a year and went to #1. Are the other guys not allowed to do the same thing?

Last edited:
Isn't the answer rather simple then? Don't host an event there? I know it sounds crude, but I struggle with this in multiple ways. Jack and Watson, etc etc etc all have talked about building course issues, and yet they continue to build really long courses. Its possible to say no and draw a line in the sand. The other side is if the members want to take back their course, they can and tour events can choose to either visit other facilities or find a home that is best suited. We have seen 8k courses or so get shredded by the tour pro, so going longer obviously isn't the answer.

They definitely can tell them to go to another venue. You are right. They don't need to continue to go longer because those guys are just the best in the world and will make good scores regardless. 600 yard holes are still reachable for them if they hit the fairway.

The Masters is still my favorite tournament. No need to change the venue. The best golfer that week still wins. I am more or less commenting on the courses that would hope to host a US Open or PGA Championship.

It’s more than just the courses hoping to host championships. I think many old USGA member clubs have courses that can be viewed as obsolete with today’s distances.

I have yet to hear a strong argument what's wrong with a select few touring pros bombing drives everywhere.

It’s more than just the courses hoping to host championships. I think many old USGA member clubs have courses that can be viewed as obsolete with today’s distances.
Obsolete for whom? The 99.9th percentile of all golfers?

Winning score at Erin Hills, 7741 yards: -16
Winning score at Merion, 6996 yards: +1

Back