USGA Cancels Local and Sectional Qualifying for the US Open

SST Pure

smgoldstein

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Will be an all-exempt field. Curious how they will select the field including amateurs.

Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 14
Disappointing for sure as I know qualifying has helped a friend get into the US Open and that obviously is a life long dream for a lot of golfers.

Gman79

I'm Chris and I'm a golf addict
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Bummer to those that were honing their game during the shut down in hopes of qualifying

Joshnoble01

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
How many of the entrants come through the qualifying process?

Molten

Man Down
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I guess I'm going to have to sit this one out.

wubears71

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
And This was the year that some country club hustler was going to win it all.

Bernoulli

Enjoy every sandwich
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
How many of the entrants come through the qualifying process?
I believe that last year about 1/2 the field were qualifiers and the other half or so were exempt. More than 70 who teed it up at Pebble came from the sectional qualifiers.

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Let's just open it up to anyone. I'm in. I'll pay my fee, shoot 130, and make at least two headlines.

Joshnoble01

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
I believe that last year about 1/2 the field were qualifiers and the other half or so were exempt. More than 70 who teed it up at Pebble came from the sectional qualifiers.
Wow. I didn't realize it was so many.

WLG1952

Reaction score
Handicap
16?
Too bad. Perhaps the USGA will rethink their decision, and allow. Monday/Tuesday qualifying rounds during USO Week.

I always had this thought that if tournaments had weekly qualifying rounds for 1/3 of their fields, they would get a stronger, overall field of competition.

mrkich

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This decision sucks for a lot of people, but I understand why qualifying as it is had to be cancelled. Hopefully they can figure out some 1-day national qualifying down the road. Really takes the “open” out of it

Bernoulli

Enjoy every sandwich
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Too bad. Perhaps the USGA will rethink their decision, and allow. Monday/Tuesday qualifying rounds during USO Week.

I always had this thought that if tournaments had weekly qualifying rounds for 1/3 of their fields, they would get a stronger, overall field of competition.
It really can't be an "Open" without some sort of open qualification. Otherwise, it's just the USGA Championship.

Chef23

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Wow. I didn't realize it was so many.
The US Open has a relatively small list of automatic qualifiers. The week or two before the event there are always major qualifiers with lots if well known PGA Tour players in it. It is one of the cool things about the US and British Opens. I can understand why they are doing that this year though.

Joshnoble01

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
The US Open has a relatively small list of automatic qualifiers. The week or two before the event there are always major qualifiers with lots if well known PGA Tour players in it. It is one of the cool things about the US and British Opens. I can understand why they are doing that this year though.
Totally. I just didn't realize that the"Open" part of it was really that open.

smgoldstein

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm fascinated on how they will treat the amateurs. Some are exempt for winning the US Amateur etc. but there are always a few that come out of nowhere and make it. Do they pick some from the WAGR? Either way I will miss the cinderella stories, amateurs and pros, coming out of qualifying.

DataDude

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Sp this year it will just be called the US Championship I guess.

DataDude

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm fascinated on how they will treat the amateurs. Some are exempt for winning the US Amateur etc. but there are always a few that come out of nowhere and make it. Do they pick some from the WAGR? Either way I will miss the cinderella stories, amateurs and pros, coming out of qualifying.
If they are only inviting exemptions it sounds like they aren't picking any at all. You're either already in right now or you aren't playing at all.

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the reason why. Golf courses are open all across the country. Those attempting to qualify, show up, play their round and instead of hanging around to see how they did compared to the field, they go home and will be notified by email whether they made it or not. No different than playing a casual round, except it's a qualifier.

cbaker2882

Ohio - not as cold, now just wet
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

redneckwop

3G - God - golf - guns
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
CO high
it's disappointing for sure, but what exactly is a train wreck about it?
I can just see some cry baby making a bigger stink of it then they should, because they didn't get in when felt they should & I could be totally wrong in my presumption.

cbaker2882

Ohio - not as cold, now just wet
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I can just see some cry baby making a bigger stink of it then they should, because they didn't get in when felt they should & I could be totally wrong in my presumption.
yea i don't really see it being an issue other than its an unfortunate circumstance for everyone who wanted to try and qualify. Especially with golf it's hard to boldly state that you for sure were going to win and get in, especially when so many tour pros who didn't make it in by merit from the tour, just go and win some of those qualifiers anyway. It just always seems to be right after the memorial, and it's always a tour pro who wins the central Ohio one because it's right after that event and someone who was here and wasn't already qualified goes and wins it.

I'd have to assume they are going to grant exemptions based on either current world US amateur golf rankings or past events or something along those lines.

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.8
I could see that happening if they were holding locals/sectionals in some places and not others - but with all of them cancelled, nobody has any more or less chance of getting in than anybody else. But you're right, somebody somewhere will probably whine about it anyway.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in