USGA killing off DAC

This was my impression. I figured you had to be a member of a course to have this option otherwise have to do something like the Grint, etc.
Most golfers I speak to think the same thing. In fact, I just pulled a report and our local USGA association lists 144 local clubs - the majority being public. So, it’s just a matter of signing up with one of them to get a GHIN. Unfortunately, that is where things fall apart as there is no good or simple instruction or contact on who to do that with.

This doesn't effect me, but I think it's dumb. It seems like a move for control, where control isn't needed.

Most golfers I speak to think the same thing. In fact, I just pulled a report and our local USGA association lists 144 local clubs - the majority being public. So, it’s just a matter of signing up with one of them to get a GHIN. Unfortunately, that is where things fall apart as there is no good or simple instruction or contact on who to do that with.
So I just looked it up and the TGA offers a membership through the Jack Nicklaus course I frequent, but I have received emails from the TGA with HC updates, but I have never provided anything through it. I just figured it was updated from the Grint, so I need to figure out how everything is done, because it looks like everything is completed through the TGA mobile app. Based on looking at it, it offers the same thing such as statistics and hole by hole tracking just like the Grint.

I’m not a member at a club but I am a member of the Carolina Golfers Association and get my number through them. TN should have something similar. Costs me $40-50 a year

My first handicap three decades ago was through a semi-private course down the street from my house. It was semi-private in the sense that you could pay like 60 bucks a month for all the golf you wanted to play but mostly it was people paying a $20 green fee.

Anyway, whether you did the monthly subscription or not you could pay $25/year to be in their handicap system. Courses like that was where almost everyone back then who wasn't a member of a private club kept their handicaps. A lot of people in their system only played golf there 10-15 times a year.

So I just looked it up and the TGA offers a membership through the Jack Nicklaus course I frequent, but I have received emails from the TGA with HC updates, but I have never provided anything through it. I just figured it was updated from the Grint, so I need to figure out how everything is done, because it looks like everything is completed through the TGA mobile app. Based on looking at it, it offers the same thing such as statistics and hole by hole tracking just like the Grint.
Isn't there some fine print in The Grint's handicap information about they only offer USGA handicaps in areas where they can partner with the local association? There was a thread about handicaps through The Grint last year and I remember looking up the information.

They probably contract with TGA and similar associations in order to get your The Grint handicap into GHIN. Or something like that.

I keep a handicap. But it is entirely for personal tracking. I have never played in anything that requires a handicap. This really does not affect me. I think it is narrow sighted but I admit to not having any stake in the game or understand what the affects positive or negative are for the USGA and entering events that are handicap managed.

I am assuming that for my purposes, the grint will still work just fine. Although, I am thinking this will cost them a fair amount of customers.

Isn't there some fine print in The Grint's handicap information about they only offer USGA handicaps in areas where they can partner with the local association? There was a thread about handicaps through The Grint last year and I remember looking up the information.

They probably contract with TGA and similar associations in order to get your The Grint handicap into GHIN. Or something like that.
That I am not sure of. I would have to do some digging, but really if I can do it via the TGA, I will just switch at the end of the year because according to their website, I can get the same info I get from the Grint (GIR, hole by hole tracking, FIR, etc.) and it's only $30/year vs. the Pro membership via the Grint is $40/year. That being said, outside of GIR and FIR and putts, I don't track much else on the Grint, especially now that I have a ShotScope V3 and can get distances and all club statistics now via that.

That I am not sure of. I would have to do some digging, but really if I can do it via the TGA, I will just switch at the end of the year because according to their website, I can get the same info I get from the Grint (GIR, hole by hole tracking, FIR, etc.) and it's only $30/year vs. the Pro membership via the Grint is $40/year. That being said, outside of GIR and FIR and putts, I don't track much else on the Grint, especially now that I have a ShotScope V3 and can get distances and all club statistics now via that.
The Grint is of course a much richer, nicer, more featured app than the GHIN app. But yeah, if you're basically just doing handicap in The Grint and everything else in ShotScope then all you need is a subscription to allow you to post on GHIN.

Have you reached out to the Tennessee Golf Association. My guess is you can probably join thru them. I have my GHIN thru the local golf association in my area as the public courses in my area didn't offer GHIN.
^^^

This. I've mentioned this on the forum a few times. The state association just wants your money. Call them up or write them an email, tell them you're not a member somewhere but want a GHIN, and they'll sort you out. Either set you up through a local public that offers to do it, or just ask for your credit card number. I had a home club in NE, but when I moved here during Covid, membership partnerships were a bit of mess, and I didn't want to pull the trigger until I got a feel for the area. Called ASGA, joined, they took my money and transferred my GHIN, and listed ASGA as my home club (that's not a course, lol), in about 3 minutes. For grint guys, once your GHIN is linked to Grint account, you can change you home club to wherever you want later, right through it. Same with some other apps. Whatever is entered on them is what GHIN receives.

This all seems like a slightly lame, but predictable thing to happen though. I'm sure there's entire arguments/reasons based in accountability, a central system, abuse, etc, but as with all things it's probably more financial like @Et Tu Brute? was saying. When something is easier (i.e. modern) people will choose that over the hassle of the ancient system most of the time, and the state associations have surely noticed they're not getting those yearly membership fees.

Well that's just annoying. I hope I won't have to change it from one place to the other, just cause the cost is higher at one vs the other. Annoyingly, at that.

Well that's just annoying. I hope I won't have to change it from one place to the other, just cause the cost is higher at one vs the other. Annoyingly, at that.
There are a bunch in your area that offer them, so you have that going for you.

Most decent public courses have GHIN and you can sign up there. I did this for years before I joined a club.

My GHIN is through Mass Golf, but I used to use MassGolf for uploading rounds. As of Jan 1 this year, I had to download the GHIN app. Just part of the streamlining process I guess.

My GHIN is through Mass Golf, but I used to use MassGolf for uploading rounds. As of Jan 1 this year, I had to download the GHIN app. Just part of the streamlining process I guess.
When you look at it that way, it doesn't really matter to USGA who the middleman is. They want everybody typing directly into the GHIN app and they don't (presumably for reasons having to do with historical contingencies) want to collect credit card numbers and bill golfers directly.

So they might as well just funnel it all through those state associations and let them get the reseller cut. The associations are USGA's historical "base" so if they can keep them happy with no real downside to USGA then why not?

I'm wondering what they will do with "Affiliate Clubs"? In MN if you have 10 or more people you can create your own club and get a GHIN. I currently have a group of dudes in which we travel throughout the metro area, have our own club and linked GHINs , and it works great. It's not linked to any physical club but tied to the state orginization.

I'm wondering what they will do with "Affiliate Clubs"? In MN if you have 10 or more people you can create your own club and get a GHIN. I currently have a group of dudes in which we travel throughout the metro area, have our own club and linked GHINs , and it works great. It's not linked to any physical club but tied to the state orginization.
From what I am understanding, it looks like this will still be ok, but it has to be linked to the state/local golf association.

There are clubs that are directly authorized (DCA) by the USGA. I think they are trying to push those down to the local association level.

From what I am understanding, it looks like this will still be ok, but it has to be linked to the state/local golf association.

There are clubs that are directly authorized (DCA) by the USGA. I think they are trying to push those down to the local association level.
Gotcha...

Gotta say that I'm not opposed to that though. I think Grint et. al., make it confusing as to what someone's handicap is. I play with a buddy who insists he has a cap - but it's not a legit GHIN... just his Grint cap and whatnot. So if you have a state that will allow you to join through a state association or an affiliate - then I'm good with that.

Gotcha...

Gotta say that I'm not opposed to that though. I think Grint et. al., make it confusing as to what someone's handicap is. I play with a buddy who insists he has a cap - but it's not a legit GHIN... just his Grint cap and whatnot. So if you have a state that will allow you to join through a state association or an affiliate - then I'm good with that.
If you have the Pro version of Grint, it gives you a legit GHIN.

What I don't understand is that if you are using Grint and as of next year you can no longer use them for handicapping, wouldn't that mean you must pay for the year Grint app and also another location to keep your handicap? This seems like something that would not benefit the golfer

What I don't understand is that if you are using Grint and as of next year you can no longer use them for handicapping, wouldn't that mean you must pay for the year Grint app and also another location to keep your handicap? This seems like something that would not benefit the golfer
This is exactly why at the end of year I will not be renewing my Grint membership.

I think if grint knew this was coming, it would help explain why the 'updated' themselves into a sh*thole trying to add more and better features recently. Because that's all you're going to be paying for once they take away the cap.

handicap? I haven't had one since 2015. I'm just a weekday hacker who plays gross score.

So as noted above by @The Milk Man and @OldandStiff your state golf association should help you. Our league is run through them and established our GHIN caps. In AZ you can join as snd individual and they steer you too a league/course that will “vouch “ for your cap.

Last edited:
So looking in Grint it shows a WH # but can’t find a GHIN. It used to give you one. Does anyone know where it gives you your GHIN #.

Back