Using a GPS Watch: Voice Caddie G1

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Every year we see some technological advances throughout the golf industry. Even though I know that distance measuring devices continue to improve, I find myself in a position where I have my tried-and-true GPS watch that has always been accurate and reliable. Freely, I will admit that for my regular go-to watch, there isn’t anything crazy special about it. It provides the typical distance reading of the front, middle, and back of greens and gives readouts to some hazards on the course. This watch has been a very loyal companion for the past seven years; however, the time has come to experiment with something more modern and featured rich. That is why for the past few weeks, the Voice Caddie G1 has been getting a fair chance to take over as my new normal GPS watch. ...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the informative writeup regarding your search for a possible replacement of your GPS watch. I have been looking at a Voice Caddie GPS watch, but I have been focusing on the A2.

When I got a chance to test out the A2, I was pretty blown away by the features. This one looks like an even stronger candidate for me personally.

Looks impressive, Thanks for write up.

That looks and sounds great.

Based upon your last 7 years of using a watch, is that your preference over a range finder?

If someone were to get into more measuring devices, would you recommend a watch or a laser rangefinder for a beginner? All things being equal, such as they already have another watch that they would wear off the course. Watches seem to be a chunk more expensive than a typical rangefinder, is the convenience that much more in them (and the other features) that they are worth the additional price?

When I started playing again last year after decades away from the game, I bought a used, hand held, Golf Buddy, color GPS unit that had many of the same features as a golf watch. This season, after reading the reviews here of the Voice Caddie G1, I purchased one. I have to say what a big fan I am of this watch. I even found it $50 cheaper than the $300 price most were selling it for. After seeing how popular range finders are here as well, I added the Precision Pro NX9 to my bag recently. The NX9 works just fine but I’ve found that 90% of the time, I use the watch instead. There are a few times if I find myself on a parallel fairway, the watch might change holes and I don’t have the distance to the correct hole so the range finder saves me. On one course I play, they rerouted and changed a few holes that have not been updated on the watch data base. The range finder again saved the day. If I couldn’t afford to have both, and had to make a choice, the watch, specifically the G1, would be what I’d use. The speed, extra features and ease of use makes it my first choice. I also ride carts and having the watch on my wrist all the time versus having the rangefinder on the cart while my playing partner is on the other side of the fairway, very handy. I use the score keeping feature and the ability to review my round later very nice. If I have a complaint about the G1 is that the user manual is lacking in explaining how to use a few of its features. Voice Caddie tech support was there to help out, but having a better manual would have been preferred.

Based upon your last 7 years of using a watch, is that your preference over a range finder?

If someone were to get into more measuring devices, would you recommend a watch or a laser rangefinder for a beginner? All things being equal, such as they already have another watch that they would wear off the course. Watches seem to be a chunk more expensive than a typical rangefinder, is the convenience that much more in them (and the other features) that they are worth the additional price?
For me personally, I would recommend a watch over a rangefinder, even if it was just something simple that gave the F/M/B yardages, but I don't know how many watches now are that basic

I have the Garmin S62, and having the hole overview and yardages to hazards, lay-up points and green view to move the pin is definitely convenient even if I don't use them all to their full potential

If someone doesn't want a watch, the handheld GPS units would be another option as I think you can clip most of them to your bag or attach them to a GPS holder on a push trolley

Unless you absolutely need exact distances provided by a rangefinder, I would lean towards a GPS device of some kind, and watches now also include slope functionality to give you adjusted yardages as well

• Staff

I would lean GPS watch myself, but with that being said I carry and use both during my rounds. When I get into an area say inside 150 I like to quickly get info on flag(laser) then look at the F and B numbers of the green and go from there. If I'm at a course with massive greens that helps me out a lot. At my league course the greens aren't as large so the watch is more than good enough.

I would lean GPS watch myself, but with that being said I carry and use both during my rounds. When I get into an area say inside 150 I like to quickly get info on flag(laser) then look at the F and B numbers of the green and go from there. If I'm at a course with massive greens that helps me out a lot. At my league course the greens aren't as large so the watch is more than good enough.

I find myself doing the exact same thing.

After a couple of weeks off, I'm back in action at league night tonight and you can bet this watch will be used. So far, as you can tell, I"m pretty happy with the upgrade.

just after using a F/M/B style GPS watch a handful of times, I'm totally sold on the concept. I might be looking at one of the fancier ones like the G1 sooner rather than later.

Like others have said, eventually it's nice to have both, but I think having F/M/B is a huge help in club selection vs just knowing the flag and kind of eyeballing the min and max you can hit the shot

Didn't think I'd get excited about a watch. Must be the Covid Hermitation. But this watch has so much more info than a traditional RF.

Last edited:
I am really leaning on the G1.

Green heat map for today's round...

E54997BC-1987-46C9-8F74-761AA1B38A35.jpeg

I've become so accustomed to using my phone and apple watch I haven't ever really considered using a GPS watch. This one seems to be packed with tons of features. Not sure I'd take the plunge but if I did this one would top my list. Thanks for the review.

What are the main differences between this G1 and the T8? The feature set between the two look the same, unless I'm missing something.

Great review @ddec. The G1 certainly does seem pretty feature rich for the price! How is the battery life, and does it also have functions that make it viable as a daily smartwatch/activity tracker?

I'd echo what several others have said already - if I was forced to choose one or the other, I'd go with the watch. I have both, the rangefinder is useful when I can't get a full view of the green to see the actual pin position (F/M/B), need to shoot a hazard or lay-up point, etc., but most of the time I just go with what the watch is telling me. And the limitation of a rangefinder is that you can only shoot what you can see - they're useless for a blind tee shot, hazards not visible around doglegs, etc.

Great review @ddec. The G1 certainly does seem pretty feature rich for the price! How is the battery life, and does it also have functions that make it viable as a daily smartwatch/activity tracker?
I only use the watch for golf. Outdoors, the screen is easily visible all the time. Indoors, in order to see the time, you have to push a button to make the screen more visible. That keeps me from using the watch as my daily wear. It does track steps, but the number comes out differently than the number I get from the step tracker on my phone. As far as the battery goes, because I only use it for golf, I always charge it up after the round and put it back in my bag. I can’t say how long it lasts, Battery strength isn’t an important feature for me.

What are the main differences between this G1 and the T8? The feature set between the two look the same, unless I'm missing something.

You have one button on the T8 and then use the screen. The G1 has 4 buttons. The T8 seems more refined - an updated G1.

You have one button on the T8 and then use the screen. The G1 has 4 buttons. The T8 seems more refined - an updated G1.
Having worn both an Apple Watch and Garmin watches for extended periods, I much prefer the hard buttons. Touch screens are too fiddly on a small screen like a watch (or maybe I just have big fingers), and I get more accidental touches on the touch screen than I do with buttons. Some touch screens don't work well when your fingers are wet/sweaty either, my Apple Watch drove me nuts with that. I didn't like having to wipe fingerprints off the watch face all the time either, I guess my OCD tendencies kick in when I look down and see a dirty watch face.

Having worn both an Apple Watch and Garmin watches for extended periods, I much prefer the hard buttons. Touch screens are too fiddly on a small screen like a watch (or maybe I just have big fingers), and I get more accidental touches on the touch screen than I do with buttons. Some touch screens don't work well when your fingers are wet/sweaty either, my Apple Watch drove me nuts with that. I didn't like having to wipe fingerprints off the watch face all the time either, I guess my OCD tendencies kick in when I look down and see a dirty watch face.

Thx. I'll let you know how it works at the end of next week.

Green heat map for today's round...

View attachment 9018110

Ok so this feature is really awesome and came in handy yesterday. A bunch of these greens had big slopes so even if the pin was on one side, you wanted to hit in a different area and let it feed. It was super helpful since I was at a place that I had zero recollection of the green complexes.

Ok so this feature is really awesome and came in handy yesterday. A bunch of these greens had big slopes so even if the pin was on one side, you wanted to hit in a different area and let it feed. It was super helpful since I was at a place that I had zero recollection of the green complexes.
Totally agree. After using it previously it’s fantastic when playing places I’m not as familiar with

That sounds great! I haven’t been overly thrilled with my V3, so gotta check out this Voice Caddie.

Back