Using One Length Irons and More

square but pizza can be acceptable. but it invokes too many memories of the grad school cafeteria cardboard...so it better be REALLY good pizza to pull off the format.

The fairway wood: I do not use one. I own one. When I first got it, I could hit it off the tee reasonable well, but as my iron striking has gotten better, I've gotten worse. So I carry a 5W, but it has been used in a very long time. I ran into the same issue with hybrids too. I've transitioned to a Speedzone 4i and a high launching Recoil ESX. Being a high capper, I'm with you on the point it's much better play for me to hit an iron "short" than duff a fairway wood even shorter.

Oh and @JB....did you tease us in a grip application video of the shafts that you're using for One Length? They looked familiar to the ones in my bag.

I missed this yesterday in my post-Thanksgiving got fatter coma.

will definitely listen today!

@JB I know you've mentioned it somewhere but what are your second driver specs? If I recall something in the 43i & 12 degree range? I have been thinking about this experiment myself as I really only use my 3w off the tee and anything from fairway is a 5w (which I however love and intend to keep in the bag :) ).
It is 43.5 and 10.5.
The loft is the same as my regular driver but it’s a higher launch head with a bit more spin.

square but pizza can be acceptable. but it invokes too many memories of the grad school cafeteria cardboard...so it better be REALLY good pizza to pull off the format.

The fairway wood: I do not use one. I own one. When I first got it, I could hit it off the tee reasonable well, but as my iron striking has gotten better, I've gotten worse. So I carry a 5W, but it has been used in a very long time. I ran into the same issue with hybrids too. I've transitioned to a Speedzone 4i and a high launching Recoil ESX. Being a high capper, I'm with you on the point it's much better play for me to hit an iron "short" than duff a fairway wood even shorter.

Oh and @JB....did you tease us in a grip application video of the shafts that you're using for One Length? They looked familiar to the ones in my bag.
Yes sir, I am using a similar set of Recoil Protos. Mine are 95 Protos, same aesthetics but do not say Ben Hogan

Love listening.

Still always confused by how much sound is talked about. Don't care about sound.

Hmm, I haven't hit my fw wood in at least 7 rounds, home course just doesn't require it. Interesting discussion. I've played courses where I need a 280 yard limit on tee shots but that's not common. If I could find the right utility or 2h I could probably drop it easy.

Good listen fellas. Got to kill sometime rocking to baby to sleep. Lol

So last sim round I used the bag discussed in this episode and shot my low round of the year.
Including hitting 13 greens in regulation.

So last sim round I used the bag discussed in this episode and shot my low round of the year.
How many rounds did it take to get comfortable with this bag?

How many rounds did it take to get comfortable with this bag?

Ya know, I have been going through this in my mind, and honestly not sure it took any. It took a few swings to get the idea that they are all the same length, but other than that, it came pretty naturally.

Ya know, I have been going through this in my mind, and honestly not sure it took any. It took a few swings to get the idea that they are all the same length, but other than that, it came pretty naturally.
In hand, when I compared them at address, the difference of OL vs VL isnt as big as most people assume it to be. That's why I think transitioning wouldnt be an issue. I keep gathering as much info on OL as I can from those trying it, because it just makes sense to me.

I believe the score.

I do not believe the setup :ROFLMAO:

Enjoyed the back and forth, was a fun ep.

That said, you can pry my fairway woods from my cold dead hands. :ROFLMAO:

[

The calming power of Hammock Beach Ocean Waves and Palm trees!

I am in almost total agreement on fairway woods. The almost is that I think it is primarily the "3 wood". Which is a big reason for the Original one mini driver.. But, I am in deep deep think about a 7 wood that I think would be just amazing for me and the way I play.

I am very interested to hear more about your one length test. Sounds like they are cobra clubs based on what you said.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to listen doing some yardwork yesterday.

@JB made some great points about non traditional setups being better for the average player.

The proposed tech studio live event with @Canadan for a two driver set up will be a must see event.

To answer a question asked. I played for 4 years with no fairway wood. I guess technically longer. Do you consider a OG one mini a fairway? If not, then it has been 6 years with no fairway.

Before that, I had an awesome fairway wood that I have not been able to replicate since it caved.

To answer a question asked. I played for 4 years with no fairway wood. I guess technically longer. Do you consider a OG one mini a fairway? If not, then it has been 6 years with no fairway.

Before that, I had an awesome fairway wood that I have not been able to replicate since it caved.
I bet you could make the argument that it was a second driver (if you had a driver in the bag as well).

Feeling a little attacked with this talk of the Burner 2.0s and the type of player who used them :LOL:

Back