UST Mamiya LIN-Q Shaft

With the UST Mamiya Ben Hogan Experience just ended I thought pushing this thread up with a review would be nice.

Back right before the Covid crisis, THP had a youtube video with @DannyLe on the UST Mamiya shaft profiles and company. I was very fortunate to be selected to choose any UST Mamiya shaft via the contest line. Because of the pandemic and things everywhere closed I had to wait for the shaft, but the wait was surely worth it.

I choose to go with the Lin-Q Purple in driver length.

Let me say the pictures don't do justice to how nice I think the shaft looks. The Purple color shaft blends perfectly with the deep yellow Lin-Q that stands out so clearly. This screams premium in every sense of the word.

IMG_2501.jpg

When I was looking at the different shafts on the UST Mamiya site and their profiles, I wanted something to bring my drive flight down a bit, but not too much, and to possibly slow the spin. I have an 85-90 mph swing speed with a current driving distance of 220-225. My Arccos smart distance was 222. My longer drives would be in the lower 230-235 range. With my swing speed, I need to keep a little more height and carry, but I was still looking to maybe bring it down a little. UST Mamiya had two options I was looking at. the Lin-Q Gunmetal and the Lin-Q Purple. The Lin-Q Gunmetal's profile suggests a low to mid flight and a low to mid spin. The swing speed recommendation for the Gunmetal is over 90 mph. However, the Lin-Q Purple had the mid flight and mid spin characteristics with a R Flex for a swing speed of 80-95 mph. Easily to see I was going to go with the Purple.

At address, I like to align the shaft with lettering to come straight down. This is just a mental thing with me. Here is a picture of the setup at address below.

IMG_2502.jpg

The Lin-Q Purple does exactly what the profile says it does. I have noticed my ball flight a bit lower and not ballooning as much and I have gained about 5-7 yards per drive. I know 5-7 yards doesn't sound like much, but who doesn't want that little bit extra when they need it. Plus, the 5 yards have helped lower a club or two during my approach shots to the green. As I stated, my normal drive distance was in the 220-225 with my good drives in the 230-235 range. With the Lin-Q Purple my normal drives are reaching the high 220s and low 230s consistently and my really good drives are traveling high 230s and 240s. Take that in my bag every day.

One thing I really like about the Lin-Q Purple is the feel of the shaft. I am not a person that can say all the kick points and characteristics of a shaft. I am just not that good. But, what I can say is this shaft is much less whippy than my stock shaft or my Evenflow shaft I had in my driver previously. I would have to say the Lin-Q Purple is a stout shaft. It feels a little more like a stiff flex yet I get all the benefits of having the right bend of a regular flex. I can feel the shaft all the way thru the swing and I don't notice at any time my club head not catching up. I actually can swing a bit harder with this shaft versus my stock shaft I had prior. I have noticed this same feature in the Recoil shafts I have in my Ben Hogan PTX irons which, not surprisingly, my son tried once during the summer and decided they were his from then on. Just like most of my things in golf, they seem to make the trip to Indiana and stay at Purdue.

In the end, I will be keeping the Lin-Q Purple on my driver for the years to come. I may change the head yearly, but I can't see a reason not to keep this shaft. It just performs and what more can you ask for.

Highly recommend for those looking at driver and wood shafts.

Last edited:
I played the purple 6f4 un-tipped all year, started in a sim max and eventually went in the regular sim. I liked the shaft but wish i would have gotten the gun metal version and may look look for one this winter after I'm done experimenting with the GD-VR and GD-HD. Ideally trading the purple for a gun metal with the same specs would be preferred.

I am still rocking the LIN-Q Gunmetal in my driver and still love it. So much so that I am going to work on getting a LIN-Q in my 3W next week, probably a Gunmetal, but maybe a Purple just for fun.

Lin-Q is on my short list of potential off season purchases. The gunmetal would be the likely buy. Crossing my fingers that I win the Masters version. But, should I not, I am definitely looking at picking one up at some point.

Thanks for bumping this thread and to all of those that contributed to it. Im in the ponder stages of what head to put on my Lin-Q Gunmetal 6F4. I currently play an Epic Flash with HZRDUS Smoke Black. The BB21 is on on my short list of new drivers to test as is Ben Hogan GS53 Max.

The shaft is Raw and breathtaking, so i'll need to source a very trusted club builder too. 😁

Thanks for bumping this thread and to all of those that contributed to it. Im in the ponder stages of what head to put on my Lin-Q Gunmetal 6F4. I currently play an Epic Flash with HZRDUS Smoke Black. The BB21 is on on my short list of new drivers to test as is Ben Hogan GS53 Max.

The shaft is Raw and breathtaking, so i'll need to source a very trusted club builder too. 😁
I wouldn’t trust anyone to touch that shaft.

So, I went with LinQ purple in my Hogan GS53 as it was very low spin head.

Purple for the win. Still the best feeling driver shaft I have ever hit.

Still loving my Gunmetal on the Speedzone Extreme! 319!!!

10A35383-4B98-4B6E-89CA-F3320C92C2AB.jpeg

Gun Metal FTW 🧨🎆

Cam Smith is currently using this shaft in his driver. Seems to be working this week at Augusta

Cam Smith is currently using this shaft in his driver. Seems to be working this week at Augusta

Just a matter of time before it found success on tour. It's too good not to.

Anyone know if these shafts have a higher than average balance point? I have the purple in my 3 wood and like it but have held off putting either the gunmetal or another purple in the driver bc I usually go with a cb driver shaft to offset some of the weight of ping heads

Anyone know if these shafts have a higher than average balance point? I have the purple in my 3 wood and like it but have held off putting either the gunmetal or another purple in the driver bc I usually go with a cb driver shaft to offset some of the weight of ping heads
Not in my opinion.
Although a friend of mine has the Gun Metal in his G410 and absolutely loves it

Not a lot of stuff in my bag that I’m feeling any need to replace. So, I’m eyeballing a few shafts to scratch the itch. The Lin-Q being one of them. I’ve had some success with the Ventus Blue. Have previously had a lot of success with the blueboard and Kai’Li. Also the AD TP. Obviously a tough question to answer. But, anyone who plays the gun metal, how does it stack up to those previously mentioned shafts? Any feedback would be welcome. Won’t have the opportunity to try before pulling the trigger, so just trying to do my due diligence.

Not a lot of stuff in my bag that I’m feeling any need to replace. So, I’m eyeballing a few shafts to scratch the itch. The Lin-Q being one of them. I’ve had some success with the Ventus Blue. Have previously had a lot of success with the blueboard and Kai’Li. Also the AD TP. Obviously a tough question to answer. But, anyone who plays the gun metal, how does it stack up to those previously mentioned shafts? Any feedback would be welcome. Won’t have the opportunity to try before pulling the trigger, so just trying to do my due diligence.
I think @Jman can compare those.
To me it’s rock solid on that list

The LINQ purple is one I think you’d like a lot given that track record of what the Blueboard’s and Ventus Blue. To me, it’s got a much stability and consistency through the zone as anything out there, the Ventus just gets more buzz which is a shame imo. Gunmetal will be lower launching than those you listed, fwiw.

The LINQ purple is one I think you’d like a lot given that track record of what the Blueboard’s and Ventus Blue. To me, it’s got a much stability and consistency through the zone as anything out there, the Ventus just gets more buzz which is a shame imo. Gunmetal will be lower launching than those you listed, fwiw.
Appreciate it. I do like that idea. I’ve always seemed to have better luck with the mid profile (for lack of a better term).

Appreciate it. I do like that idea. I’ve always seemed to have better luck with the mid profile (for lack of a better term).
I think you’d dig the Purple. I really do.

i hit the purple pared with a GS53 Max 9.0.....and it was glorious.

Back