UST Mamiya RECOIL DART Shafts

I know not everyone is really tied into technology, so if that’s you feel free to ignore this question. Some of us just like to hit and discuss.

What is your interpretation of the DART technology and how do you think it is affecting 1) the feel of the shaft and 2) your dispersion. I have my own preconceived notions, but curious if yours match.

Again, super nerdy question and I don’t expect everyone to have a response.
Based on my experience the technology is fantastic and does what it claims to do. Personally I think these have more feel than other shafts I have tried in these same irons yet the tip is stiff enough to hold up under higher swing speeds.

In the same set of irons with onlythe shaft change I have found increased accuracy and dispersion with less mishits. The profile just works for my swing, whether that is a feel thing or a profile thing I’m not sure but I love it.

I know not everyone is really tied into technology, so if that’s you feel free to ignore this question. Some of us just like to hit and discuss.

What is your interpretation of the DART technology and how do you think it is affecting 1) the feel of the shaft and 2) your dispersion. I have my own preconceived notions, but curious if yours match.

As I understand it. The Dart Tech is there to increase hoop stiffness and reduce ovaling as the shaft loads. While I honestly cant say if UST has accomplished this or not as I have no reference point. I do feel the shafts are consistent in launch and spin and the feel really good.

I came from steelfibers. Which as I understand does something very different in an attempt to accomplish much the same thing. They do not feel as good that is for sure. And when I am talking feel, what I personally mean is a couple things. During the swing can a feel the shaft load at the top. Then at impact is does it feel solid and deep or does it feel clanky and harsh. These have that deep feeling I am looking for.

Great feedback already on these guys! I like what I'm hearing. I may have to search out @DannyLe & see what I can get a set for when they're released. :eek:

Makes sense. I’m going to wait a bit before I comment my guess from reading the tech sheet.

What weight/flex do you have?
I am in the 90 and I was dropped down a flex to F3 with this line. I played with @DannyLe at Ballyhack and he thought with how stable these were playing to move to F3 vs the F4 I was playing in Recoil Protos. He was dead on. I know @jdtox tried out my F3 set as well and he swings a bit faster than I do and had no issues either. Important to note that all of my irons are 8 iron length.

Would you put these in wedges or go with a different shaft in those?

I think that is going to be super player dependent. If they full swing them the majority of the time, I can't see a reason why not.

I am in the 90 and I was dropped down a flex to F3 with this line. I played with @DannyLe at Ballyhack and he thought with how stable these were playing to move to F3 vs the F4 I was playing in Recoil Protos. He was dead on. I know @jdtox tried out my F3 set as well and he swings a bit faster than I do and had no issues either. Important to note that all of my irons are 8 iron length.
This is correct, the F3’s still held up nicely for me as did the lighter weight. Hitting those is what made me really want to try these shafts in my own irons. I was impressed immediately even with them being OL 😂

Great question. My interpretation, was that it increases the strength of the circle shape of the shaft, while providing a better transfer of energy through load.

I feel like this is why it feels so dang smooth and dispersion is as tight as it is. I do feel it also makes it feel a little stiffer. It hasn't bothered me at all, since it seems like i get a great launch and distance out of them.....and I absolutely love the feel of them. I would be curious to hit them in F3 for comparison, but dont have any way to do so. The overlap in swing speed is interesting, but i think the stability of them lends them to cover a wider range of swings maybe.

Funny you ask, i was thinking about this while i was out on the course this weekend. I would definitely put these in my wedges if i could. I like to have a consistent feel between my irons and my wedges, but deal with the difference as it is. Gonna have to look into doing this when i can buy them.

I hit @Golfers Anonymous DART shafts at The Budget Championship and I have to say I was impressed. I would not have put myself in the specs he was in because I am an internet golfer but they were stable and very easy to hit. I am intrigued and maybe I will be buying a new set of irons just to get those shafts.

Enjoying the shafts greatly when the games there. They’re definitely in the firmer side of the regular spectrum and I’ve come to really enjoy them. Accuracy feels as though it’s definitely improved a deal with these as I’m able to more aggressive shots into the greens and maintain the intended line more so than I felt before. Mentioned it before but these shafts greatly improve the vibration dampening over any I’ve previously played, which helps the hands out tremendously in terms of being able to play again the next day. Have received quite a few compliments on the looks of the shafts as they do look really good in a gun barrel finish of sorts and look great in the light. Extremely curious as to some of the other guys if they’ve had any time testing the longer irons with these in them and if so what their results have been as of yet. These will be a huge hit in both the fitting carts and amongst self fitters as they’ll do wonders in the realm of dispersion and strike consistency.

Well now I have something to think about. Last year I went a flex down in my MMTs and it didn’t work the best so I went back up to stiff this time.

I’m now wondering if I should go F3 in these next year

Need to link up soon with tester to take part in all the goodness here 😍

Well now I have something to think about. Last year I went a flex down in my MMTs and it didn’t work the best so I went back up to stiff this time.

I’m now wondering if I should go F3 in these next year
F4 for you

Enjoying the shafts greatly when the games there. They’re definitely in the firmer side of the regular spectrum and I’ve come to really enjoy them. Accuracy feels as though it’s definitely improved a deal with these as I’m able to more aggressive shots into the greens and maintain the intended line more so than I felt before. Mentioned it before but these shafts greatly improve the vibration dampening over any I’ve previously played, which helps the hands out tremendously in terms of being able to play again the next day. Have received quite a few compliments on the looks of the shafts as they do look really good in a gun barrel finish of sorts and look great in the light. Extremely curious as to some of the other guys if they’ve had any time testing the longer irons with these in them and if so what their results have been as of yet. These will be a huge hit in both the fitting carts and amongst self fitters as they’ll do wonders in the realm of dispersion and strike consistency.

That is great feedback. I really want to try these somewhere outside on the range.

I carry 4 iron at the longest. I havent had a situation to hit it in a round but have hit a few on the range. I dont hit it a lot beyond punch out shots in general, but dont have too much trouble hitting it beyond usually hitting a fade with it. With these in, the launch and feel have felt better to me. I know that doesnt say much, but all i got so far...

I did hit a beaut of a 5i during my last round that just rolled off the green into the greenside bunker from 188. I was surprised as i really didnt go after it at all and it went a little further than i expected it to. Was a nice straight shot too.

I will take a little more time with the long irons when i go to the range next time so i can give a better answer.

Been a hectic week but wanted to check in and report that these are my favorite shafts I've ever gamed. I played a couple scrambles this week so lots of chances to hit these. They handle a full hard swing and flighted balls with ease. My accuracy has improved drastically since putting these in play. I have no explanation for this other than the technology in these does what it claims to do which I find fascinating. I think the 105g weight is perfection and the F4 stiffness holds up great.

What else can us testers answer for you guys?

I’m glad to see your dispersion continues to show the same positive trend, @jdtox

I know your GW was an issue before. Have you seen any difference in flight/distance there?

Any thoughts on going DART in your other wedges?

I’m glad to see your dispersion continues to show the same positive trend, @jdtox

I know your GW was an issue before. Have you seen any difference in flight/distance there?

Any thoughts on going DART in your other wedges?
Nope GW is still an issue. More to do with the club head than the shaft. As far as adding to other wedges I don't know that I would personally but I don't see any reason why one couldn't.

What else can us testers answer for you guys?
Have you had much time in "regular or Proto" recoils? Clearly there is more to the Darts than just "feel". Which my understanding of the regular/proto distinction. The ability to play lighter or "less CPM" shaft and gain performance is very intriguing with the Darts.

I've gamed Recoil Proto 95 F4, Recoil 807 F3, and Recoil 95 F3. Im very interested in seeing what Dart 85 F3 would do with my swing. (if they exist. as the 807 F3 are 82g and my best fit of the ones i've gamed.)

Nope GW is still an issue. More to do with the club head than the shaft. As far as adding to other wedges I don't know that I would personally but I don't see any reason why one couldn't.
Tangent alert: I'm strongly considering bending my GW one degree strong, back to standard loft, to help a gap in my set.

Have you had much time in "regular or Proto" recoils? Clearly there is more to the Darts than just "feel". Which my understanding of the regular/proto distinction. The ability to play lighter or "less CPM" shaft and gain performance is very intriguing with the Darts.

I've gamed Recoil Proto 95 F4, Recoil 807 F3, and Recoil 95 F3. Im very interested in seeing what Dart 85 F3 would do with my swing. (if they exist. as the 807 F3 are 82g and my best fit of the ones i've gamed.)
I played an entire season with Recoil 110's in the 2020 Forged Tec. I found them to feel fantastic but tended to get a little spinny and high for me at times, granted that was a couple years ago. I did game the protos for a single round this season at @Canadan club with his custom protos and played really well with those. I don't recall what weight those shafts were however. I think 110 F5 but I could be wrong.

I played an entire season with Recoil 110's in the 2020 Forged Tec. I found them to feel fantastic but tended to get a little spinny and high for me at times, granted that was a couple years ago. I did game the protos for a single round this season at @Canadan club with his custom protos and played really well with those. I don't recall what weight those shafts were however. I think 110 F5 but I could be wrong.

OG FT and recoil vs. Dart and FTx

It definitely sounds that the latter combo is really great for you.

Back