UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

There are a few responses in the RTX4 wedge thread, and I have been thinking about this myself. If you have any questions, this weekend would be a great time to ask them since we can get those answers from Danny directly. I plan on asking a few along this topic myself.
I'm dealing with this too. Recoil 65 in irons then RTX4 S400 steel. Looking at alternatives.

I'm dealing with this too. Recoil 65 in irons then RTX4 S400 steel. Looking at alternatives.
You could jump to Recoil 95 or 110 in the wedges if you are wanting to stay with graphite, but looking for more weight.

Definitely giving some Recoils a few hits at my final Morgan Cup fitting on Saturday to see how they perform for me vs. KBS steel.

Considering making the move to 95's this year.

Just missed out on a set of recoil proto 110s. ?

You will enjoy those. Don't be afraid to try them in your wedges too.......Recoils + Wedges = FUN!

Considering making the move to 95's this year.
Curious on your thoughts about this. Is it to raise your ball flight? More speed?

Curious on your thoughts about this. Is it to raise your ball flight? More speed?
Mainly, I have this really cool Ion Gold set with THP logos on them...

As someone coming from the 125's into the 110's, I can tell you there is a difference but the heavier weight is really geared toward those with aggressive transitions. For me, as I've worked on smoothing the transition and driving from the ground, the over the top is disappearing and the speed happens closer to impact rather than from the top. Because of that, the 110s fee great right now. I'm going to find a set somehow.
tenor.gif

It seems like a second set of Recoil shafts may be in my future. I am thinking about what to put them in, but I have been really leaning towards a set of Cobra Forged Tec heads.

Match up that driving iron ???

It seems like a second set of Recoil shafts may be in my future. I am thinking about what to put them in, but I have been really leaning towards a set of Cobra Forged Tec heads.

I have that exact combo and they are the best feeling clubs I have ever hit. No doubt in my mind that they pair well with each other

Cough cough apex combo set cough cough

Those would go nice alongside the driving iron

Shafts are finally getting installed. I have scheduled a time Friday morning to hit them for the first time. We had to make some adjustments to keep swing weight but overall minor. This will be my version of shaft up. Excessive details of the experience can be expected. ?

Grabbed my irons today with recoil 110 F5. Hit them on GCQuad. They look good, a little thicker across the full profile. The first thing I noticed is a different weight distribution feel. They feel light in my hands. They are also progressive in weight, and the light feel is most noticeable in longer irons. Hitting them is an adjustment. Well struck balls feel effortless through impact. Mishits still give lots of feedback. I didn't notice too much in terms of difference there. I hit the 6 and 7 really well. PW, 9, and 8 took more time to dial in. It took time to find the bottom of the swing. Long irons felt pretty good with some lead tape added to the heads. Flight is a touch lower than the Modus 105x -- a good thing for me -- and my impression is that distance control is better. For some reason I wasn't taking note of spin. I only spent an hour hitting them and will need more time to adjust. Performance feels similar to other shafts I have tried. That's good. The lighter feel is new and could be a nice benefit over time. I don't have enough "data" to have a feel for benefits to hands and wrists. Overall a good first day. (y)

Grabbed my irons today with recoil 110 F5. Hit them on GCQuad. They look good, a little thicker across the full profile. The first thing I noticed is a different weight distribution feel. They feel light in my hands. They are also progressive in weight, and the light feel is most noticeable in longer irons. Hitting them is an adjustment. Well struck balls feel effortless through impact. Mishits still give lots of feedback. I didn't notice too much in terms of difference there. I hit the 6 and 7 really well. PW, 9, and 8 took more time to dial in. It took time to find the bottom of the swing. Long irons felt pretty good with some lead tape added to the heads. Flight is a touch lower than the Modus 105x -- a good thing for me -- and my impression is that distance control is better. For some reason I wasn't taking note of spin. I only spent an hour hitting them and will need more time to adjust. Performance feels similar to other shafts I have tried. That's good. The lighter feel is new and could be a nice benefit over time. I don't have enough "data" to have a feel for benefits to hands and wrists. Overall a good first day. (y)
You won't have much issue at all working into those shafts. Sounds like a good first outing with them.

I struggled mightily with my Recoils when I first got them for about a month. mostly it was me mentally trying to overswing them. As soon as I made an adjustment to my tempo, its as if I unlocked something in the shafts that allowed them to reach full performance and give me the flight and distance I was looking for. I felt like i was swinging at 75%, but i was seeing the ball fly with the height and distance I expected. I think, like you, the biggest difference was going from a heavier set down to a set playing at around D1, but after some time at the range and on course, I think I prefer the D1 swing weight.

Back