UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

i'm really excited to hear some feedback from @chefkritter @JDax @MSEASU @Afizzle2100 @thewilderside and @mtbloco on how these shafts performed at the 2020 ben hogan event but also ongoing as they get more time in with them. i had to hit off mats last week, and my elbow/forearm is still aching from it. a change to graphite may be needed and recoils would get my first look.
Me, too. I have been so impressed with my Recoil 110s in the Cobra Tour MIMs. I actually couldn’t ask for a better shaft in my irons.

i'm really excited to hear some feedback from @chefkritter @JDax @MSEASU @Afizzle2100 @thewilderside and @mtbloco on how these shafts performed at the 2020 ben hogan event but also ongoing as they get more time in with them. i had to hit off mats last week, and my elbow/forearm is still aching from it. a change to graphite may be needed and recoils would get my first look.
What weight and flex would you be looking at if you made the switch?

What weight and flex would you be looking at if you made the switch?

probably recoil 110. i seem to see the best results in the 105-110 gram range. the lower launch lower spin of the protos doesn't sound like a good thing for me, so the recoil 110 is probably my sweet spot.

probably recoil 110. i seem to see the best results in the 105-110 gram range. the lower launch lower spin of the protos doesn't sound like a good thing for me, so the recoil 110 is probably my sweet spot.
I think the spin will really be impacted by what head you use. I struggled a bit to elevate the Forged Tecs I have with the 110 Protos, but have no issue elevating and spinning the PTx Pros on the same shaft. Part of that is user error I’m sure.

I think the spin will really be impacted by what head you use. I struggled a bit to elevate the Forged Tecs I have with the 110 Protos, but have no issue elevating and spinning the PTx Pros on the same shaft. Part of that is user error I’m sure.

thp taught me not to chase launch/spin changes by swapping shafts. at the same time, i'll still avoid products that actively seek to work against my goals. low launch/low spin isn't for me, so i've never really considered the protos.

thp taught me not to chase launch/spin changes by swapping shafts. at the same time, i'll still avoid products that actively seek to work against my goals. low launch/low spin isn't for me, so i've never really considered the protos.
I have often wondered about the 95 protos, but I am hoping to control myself and stick with one setup for 2021. I have bigger fish to fry and sticking with one set of irons/shafts is probably crucial to my goals.

I am making the switch from Steelfibers to Recoils in the Mizuno 921F. I hit both a ton in the sim as I thought I was always gonna be a SF guy as they were the best for me in the 0311 irons that I currently play. Weird, but the 95 F4 recoils actually lowered spin enough for me that I was able to dial down where I wanted. I always thought recoils were higher spin but with the 921F I was able to lower spin (5800) and my decent angle was 50° so I shouldn’t have any issues holding greens with a 7i.

I have always just been obsessed with 7i means I need no lower than 6500 spin and so on. Obviously that’s not the case when not considering other factors.

The recoils felt softer to me (in a good way) than the SF

Well I wrote up most of my results at the event in the Live Update thread, still 6 holes yet to recap but I'll get there lol. I'm far from a tech guru, but so far I love the 125 Proto F5 @DannyLe put me in. The weight change was definitely noticeable at the event coming from an 85g shaft, but I started to get the feel for them during day 2 and had a really good simulator session yesterday with them and the PTX Pros. I think my favorite part about them so far is the confidence i feel when I really put a swing on them. The 85g Burner shafts just felt unpredictable when I really swung them, my best results came from a smooth tempo swing, as in not my natural (for better or worse lol) swing. Especially yesterday, I could get after a swing and the result was predictable. By that I mean I could swing hard and the result felt like it was all on me. If the shot was left of target I could look and see my push pull angle was left, and vice versa. I never once felt like I overpowered these shafts, which having experienced that feeling I think there were times I overpowered the Burner 85g in stiff. Ugh, all this iron and shaft talk...is it May yet so I can hit a course :LOL:

So, I have about 4 rounds on my custom recoil 110 prototypes. I have always played steel , but wanted to switch due to elbow pain. Historically , I have the best success with KBS 120 or dynamic golds. I have a hard transition but these have worked well for me. The few times I have tried graphite in the past, I didn’t know where the ball was going.

The recoil protos have exceeded my expectations. Concerns I have had about going to graphite were meritless. They still feel great and I can tell where I hit the ball. The recoils are very stable through the hitting area and I get a nice mid flight with no ballooning. The long irons are still easy to elevate. The short irons are easy to flight and I get tons of spins still . I need more time but I don’t see these every leaving my bag.

I have Recoils (lightweight) in my PXGs and they work well. But also have just put the new Dynamic Gold 85s (steel) in some Ping irons and they are excellent.

Starting to see recoils show up on off the shelf offerings at GG & DSG such as the Tommy Armour 845 Max and Mizuno JPX921 Hot metals. They feel VERY light. Do they lack feel? Are they easy to swing faster? Just curious on the benefits of this shaft.

Starting to see recoils show up on off the shelf offerings at GG & DSG such as the Tommy Armour 845 Max and Mizuno JPX921 Hot metals. They feel VERY light. Do they lack feel? Are they easy to swing faster? Just curious on the benefits of this shaft.
I swing a set of Recoil 95 Protos in F4 and find they have better feel, more control and, better damping effect for my wrist and elbows than the 105 steel I came out of. These are in a set of Mizuno 919F irons.
20191223_170925.jpg

these shafts a quite good. I made the jump into JumboMax grips in large part due to hand pain. Now that I’m about 6-7 rounds with the recoil Proto and lampkin Hogan mid grips... I have no hand pain. I’m probably not going to put JumboMax on this set.

theyare effortless clubs to hit. My issues come when I forget to let the club do it’s job and try to smash. My sway kills me. If I deliver a relaxed swing I’m rewarded with great ball fight and spin. The latter I need help with.

the wedges Have wedge Proto F4 in them. They are really good in my hands. I full swing all of them. Bladed 50, 54, and 58. They are my most consistent clubs. ( I refrain from trying to murder the ball with them)

This is my first set with graphite shafts. I’m not going back to steel.

Last edited:
I have the 95. @MSEASU has the 110.
I was in the same spot as you worried about lower launch / spin with the protos. I see great ball flight with good strikes. And the strike when they hit a green.
I think they will work for you.

Last edited:
I have the 95. @MSEASU had the 110.
I was in the same spot as you worried about lower launch / spin with the protos. I see great ball flight with good strikes. And the strike when they hit a green.
I think they will work for you.

@DannyLe said proto 110. sounds perfect to me!

These have long been on a ponder list for me, but I've never been fit for them so haven't reached for them yet. Definitely on the list to try this year! Think something in the 90-95 gram weight for my aging body

Thanks, Turtlerancher. Did you demo the ones with smacwrap? I have a wrist problem.
Never tried the Smacwrap shafts but everything I have read is positive concerning the impact reduction.

Thanks, Turtlerancher. Did you demo the ones with smacwrap? I have a wrist problem.
I have hit both the 780s with Smackwrap and the 110 Proto. I think any option from the Recoil line will be helpful for your wrist problem. The Smackwrap definitely helps dampen the shock and vibrations, but I think the switch to graphite itself would be the most noticeable difference. With that said, the Recoil 760/780 with Smackwrap are excellent shafts.

If you want to try before you buy, grab a demo club set from Ben Hogan golf. They have the Edge and PTx Pro in their demo program with those shafts.

Ok so I like the idea of the 95 / 110 / 125 protos but would that work for me? My driver ball speed is about 150. I know. It's all I got when I did my fitting at the great PGA Store. They don't give the club speed. But I guess that would put me at about 100+ on club head speed. Would these graphite shafts work for me? And which ones if so? Thanks.

Ok so I like the idea of the 95 / 110 / 125 protos but would that work for me? My driver ball speed is about 150. I know. It's all I got when I did my fitting at the great PGA Store. They don't give the club speed. But I guess that would put me at about 100+ on club head speed. Would these graphite shafts work for me? And which ones if so? Thanks.
Sure. And based on the steel you like, you can go regular Recoil instead of Proto and be fine

Sure. And based on the steel you like, you can go regular Recoil instead of Proto and be fine
What is the difference in the regular compared to the Proto?

Slightly different tip section with Proto launching a bit lower
Ah ok so the launch would be a bit higher? They are a mid? That will help me? LOL. I don't know. My launch angle with the Mavrik 7 iron I was using at the PGA store was 19.7. Not sure if that's good or not.

Back