UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Horrific morning to test anything. 30mph winds and freezing temps. But wow!

Is anyone seeing an increase or loss in distance with these over their old steel shafts?

If so how many yards?

Is anyone seeing an increase or loss in distance with these over their old steel shafts?

If so how many yards?

Actually distances are pretty close to what my KBS steel shafts were. Which is exactly what I want. For me putting graphite shafts isn't just about distance but eliminating some of the harshness of steel.

While some people will no doubt see added distance or even a little loss of distance, I think that most won't see much change in distance but a better feel and less vibration from mishits.

I know they are graphite but I believe these are different from wood graphite shafts. As long as you are fitted into the correct flex you should see the same distance and possibly a little more if you have never been fitted before.

If so how many yards?

I was definitely longer with them, but difficult to tell what's due to the clubs as I've undergone a complete swing overhaul over the winter.

Thanks Toppdogg and Jimmy glad too see that distance hasn't changed because of the shaft.

I thought maybe some would see some difference if these were or weren't a better fit for them than their old shafts.

Topp I'm glad that these have taken the harshness out of striking the ball for you.

Thanks Toppdogg and Jimmy glad too see that distance hasn't changed because of the shaft.

I thought maybe some would see some difference if these were or weren't a better fit for them than their old shafts.

Topp I'm glad that these have taken the harshness out of striking the ball for you.

Could be partially because of the shaft. Unfortunately I just don't know.

New season, new fitness program, new swing, new clubs... more distance. Combination of all I'm sure, but can't equate X yards to shafts/clubs.

If so how many yards?

Its to early in the season to tell if I've gained any yardage but I definitely haven't lost any as far as I can tell.

If so how many yards?

I can't tell based off of todays range session. There was a consistent and very stiff hurricane blowing. Plus it was freezing which costs distance

Today was the first day I could hit these shafts. Unfortunately the weather did not help me out here. When I got to the range a vicious wind kicked up. It was a very consistent left to right or directly in my face wind. That makes judging anything about a golf club very difficult. I hit about 30 balls before I just had to quit. But wow anyway!

First off this combo is stunning. Nicest set of irons I have ever had in the bag. The darker color of this shaft really pops with the Ansers. It looks incredible. I tried grabbing pictures but nothing came out well. These shafts do not look at all like a graphite shaft. I would swear that they were steel if I didn't know any better. From address the only slight distraction is a few swirl ends that peek around the shaft. Absolutely gorgeous

Grabbed the W and took aim at the 100 yard flag. Normally that is a 9:30 W for me. Well today I was dead into the wind or a very strong left to right wind. Either way my distance was going to be knocked down quite a bit. First swing was caught quite thin. I immediately felt it. That is a good thing as sometimes with graphite you will not feel contact very well. I felt it perfectly and knew exactly how I missed.

It would be the second shot that gave me the wow factor. 2nd shot was a full W with a big gust of left to right arctic blast. The ball jumped off the face and got up quickly. Ball flight was very high. I was shocked at how high it was. Higher for me than I generally see from the PXi shafts I have in the i20's. I want to say it was higher than KBS as well. Ball settled nicely right by the flag. That was a tap in even with the big wind. Ball stayed on a line as well. Not sure how it did that but it did. It was a stunner of a shot

I had a few more shots that felt and reacted the same way. What I truly liked and was very different from what I normally feel was the way the shaft reacted on my downswing. I have a pretty smooth swing and so I generally don't feel a kick at all with my iron shafts. Well I felt this shaft react on my downswing. I'm unsure if it is how a shaft feels when it kicks into the ball(not doing a good job with technical terms lol) but dang did it feel powerful. This is not what I was expecting at all

I was a little worried that this shaft could end up being too much for my swing. I have been reading up on this shaft for months now. The one steel shaft that I have seen it compared to the most is the KBS C Taper. I read that and I know that this shaft is possibly not a good fit as I don't hit the C Tapers well generally. Well for me these don't feel at all like the C Tapers. They more resemble the Tours especially with the ball flight. It was a really surprising first session. Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer out so I can hit some more balls before work

Today was the first day I could hit these shafts. Unfortunately the weather did not help me out here. When I got to the range a vicious wind kicked up. It was a very consistent left to right or directly in my face wind. That makes judging anything about a golf club very difficult. I hit about 30 balls before I just had to quit. But wow anyway!

First off this combo is stunning. Nicest set of irons I have ever had in the bag. The darker color of this shaft really pops with the Ansers. It looks incredible. I tried grabbing pictures but nothing came out well. These shafts do not look at all like a graphite shaft. I would swear that they were steel if I didn't know any better. From address the only slight distraction is a few swirl ends that peek around the shaft. Absolutely gorgeous

Grabbed the W and took aim at the 100 yard flag. Normally that is a 9:30 W for me. Well today I was dead into the wind or a very strong left to right wind. Either way my distance was going to be knocked down quite a bit. First swing was caught quite thin. I immediately felt it. That is a good thing as sometimes with graphite you will not feel contact very well. I felt it perfectly and knew exactly how I missed.

It would be the second shot that gave me the wow factor. 2nd shot was a full W with a big gust of left to right arctic blast. The ball jumped off the face and got up quickly. Ball flight was very high. I was shocked at how high it was. Higher for me than I generally see from the PXi shafts I have in the i20's. I want to say it was higher than KBS as well. Ball settled nicely right by the flag. That was a tap in even with the big wind. Ball stayed on a line as well. Not sure how it did that but it did. It was a stunner of a shot

I had a few more shots that felt and reacted the same way. What I truly liked and was very different from what I normally feel was the way the shaft reacted on my downswing. I have a pretty smooth swing and so I generally don't feel a kick at all with my iron shafts. Well I felt this shaft react on my downswing. I'm unsure if it is how a shaft feels when it kicks into the ball(not doing a good job with technical terms lol) but dang did it feel powerful. This is not what I was expecting at all

I was a little worried that this shaft could end up being too much for my swing. I have been reading up on this shaft for months now. The one steel shaft that I have seen it compared to the most is the KBS C Taper. I read that and I know that this shaft is possibly not a good fit as I don't hit the C Tapers well generally. Well for me these don't feel at all like the C Tapers. They more resemble the Tours especially with the ball flight. It was a really surprising first session. Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer out so I can hit some more balls before work

That's awesome chunky! I wish you would have had better conditions for your first time out with them but I'm glad you are liking what you've seen in your first session.

Great stuff CL. Glad you received these and I am eager to read your experiences with them. Awesome shot with the W.

Great first thoughts Chunky, cant wait till you get a good full range session in with these.

Glad you were able to get out and hit these chunk. I'm curious as to why you wanted to hit these so bad if you read they played like Ctapers. If Ctapers don't agree with you why would these? I would have thought the reviews would have made you think twice.
Where you hitting off Mats or turf?

Glad you were able to get out and hit these chunk. I'm curious as to why you wanted to hit these so bad if you read they played like Ctapers. If Ctapers don't agree with you why would these? I would have thought the reviews would have made you think twice.
Where you hitting off Mats or turf?

I've often found that what some compare something to just does not hold true for me. Heck there are plenty of reviews on here by people I absolutely trust and yet my opinion is very much different because I just see different results. I am intrigued by each and every graphite shaft as I do believe that is the only way that I can keep playing this game. Mats only today

Today was a good day. Woke up and the sun was shining. Little chilly but nothing a sweatshirt couldn't handle. And the important thing was the wind died down significantly. More of a 5-10 mph breeze. Grabbed the clubs and zoomed to the range.

Today was all about just hitting a stock shot. I was not worried about flighting the ball or moving it left or right. I just scraped the ball and hit it. Rinse and repeat. I simply wanted to see the stock ball flight. Lets face it, most of the shots I should hit on the golf course are going to be a standard golf shot.

Grab the wedge and get loosened up. My first shot was again a little thin and again I felt it. I really like that about these shafts. They don't completely deaden the feel of the shot. Catch it thin and you know it. 2nd shot was a beast. Perfect strike and that ball just leapt off the face and got high! Towering would be a great word to describe what I was seeing. With the wedge down to the 7I I would describe the flight I was seeing as mid/high if not flat out high. It was outstanding

5/6I is a bit of a different story. Quite possible that I was simply struggling with contact on the long irons. The flight I was seeing was much more of a mid with these irons. Nothing I would call troublesome but it was certainly not high like I saw with the scoring clubs. I did hit quite a few nice shots though with these clubs. One 6I in particular was a perfect draw that settled about 10 feet from the flag. The interesting part about that shot is that is the flag I generally will shoot at with my 6I during the summer. Normally I am not reaching it in the colder months. Possible distance gain? Also the Ansers are 1* weaker than the i20's so it is quite possible I might see a distance increase with these shafts

Feel was once again powerful. The shaft feels like it donkey kicks the ball and springs it off the clubface. I have never felt an iron shaft react like this. It's disconcerting at first as it feels different which I immediately feel is wrong. But dang the ball just jumps. And the ball flight tells me it is oh so right. It might sound silly but I really felt like I was crushing the ball on wedge shots.

Absolutely great write ups Chunk! I can't wait for you to hit the course with these.

It might sound silly but I really felt like I was crushing the ball on wedge shots.

I love this! Great write-ups so far gentlemen. I'm loving the feedback and following along. Having a few titanium plates in the ol' left forearm has caused me to bang a few less balls on the range the last few years than I'd like, so I'm paying close attention to this one.

Good stuff chunky!

I know some have balked at the price of entry on these shafts. I would agree it is stiff. But there are a few different options in the Recoil lineup and from what I have read, even the lower cost(600 series) are a seriously nice shaft. 2 range sessions has me pondering very strongly a set of G25's with the Recoils that Ping has.

These are amazing. I can't tell you how incredible a feeling it was for me to see that ball take flight and go as high as it did. I was giggling. Some might be scared by me calling the ball flight high. Just to give you a bit of background on me. I tend to hit a high ball so these are just behaving naturally for me.

Oh and no hunt and peck on the ole Ipad keyboard tonight. Full use of the fingers and they don't look like snausages. Happy happy. Looking forward to the range tomorrow

Chunky I think this maybe the best thing I've heard "no sausage fingers...... Looking forward to going to the range".

It's great to hear that you aren't hurting after a rang session and are looking forward to getting back out there so soon.

Great to hear Chunky! I hope Aerotechs do this well too!

Great write-ups Chunky. I would like to put new shafts in my irons and the Recoil Prototype and the KBS Tour's are the front runners. Looking for a little heavier shaft than my KBS 90's. I liked how you think there may be some distance gains with these shafts. I'm not a guy who is obsessed with distance but for the price tag I would expect some distance gains and increased accuracy. As a younger guy with no physical issues using steel shafts at the moment, I need to see results in other areas (distance and dispersion) to justify the price difference between these and the KBS Tour's. However, the way I'm looking at these shafts is if they work I can always carry them over to any new irons and get years of use with these. Really appreciate the work all the testers are doing as I put a lot of stock into what THPer's think. Keep up the great work guys.

Thanks Stan. About to head to the range with my son

I like it Chunky. Keep up the good work. Also, take some pictures :D

These are amazing. I can't tell you how incredible a feeling it was for me to see that ball take flight and go as high as it did.

How do they compare to other graphite shafts you've hit Chunky?

Back