UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Nice write-up Chunky. Seems like they are really performing well for you. I like that you think you may see some distance gains.

I am sure of it. Temps were in the 60's today so it's starting to warm up but that 6I was absolutely smoked! My other clubs were all normal distance as well so I'm thinking that I will see a nice increase. Gosh I can imagine these in the G25's.

I am sure of it. Temps were in the 60's today so it's starting to warm up but that 6I was absolutely smoked! My other clubs were all normal distance as well so I'm thinking that I will see a nice increase. Gosh I can imagine these in the G25's.

Awesome Chunky! I really may have to pick up one of these shafts and throw it in one of my irons to see how it performs.

Great write up chunky. I am glad you are seeing some great shots already. I know I am as well and it makes very happy that when I get my groove back I will be even better than last year.

Question for you, are you finding these feeling very heavy? I think these are one if the heaviest I have played and it might be the reason my back gets a little sore at the end of a round. Do you feel the same? Same question to CS.

Great write up chunky. I am glad you are seeing some great shots already. I know I am as well and it makes very happy that when I get my groove back I will be even better than last year.

Question for you, are you finding these feeling very heavy? I think these are one if the heaviest I have played and it might be the reason my back gets a little sore at the end of a round. Do you feel the same? Same question to CS.

Interesting that you ask that. I am finding the clubs themselves to be heavy but I'm unclear if it's the shafts or it's the heads. The Ansers are known to be a little heavy. I tend to like a heavier shaft so these feel good to me in terms of weight. These are certainly not for a person looking to gain swingspeed by switching to a lightweight graphite lol. These have HEFT!

Interesting that you ask that. I am finding the clubs themselves to be heavy but I'm unclear if it's the shafts or it's the heads. The Ansers are known to be a little heavy. I tend to like a heavier shaft so these feel good to me in terms of weight. These are certainly not for a person looking to gain swingspeed by switching to a lightweight graphite lol. These have HEFT!

Agreed. I do like the heavier shaft as well. That's why I liked the tours so well. But you are right, if you want to gain swing speed you definitely want to look at the 800 or 600s. The prototypes are heavy but in a good way.

Have any of you guys spent time with the Tour 90's?

Have any of you guys spent time with the Tour 90's?

I have not. I have heard great things but for me they just never seemed like they would fit.

I kind of figured I might be out of luck there. Mainly curious how the ball height vs distance vs control would work among the two sets.

I kind of figured I might be out of luck there. Mainly curious how the ball height vs distance vs control would work among the two sets.

I hit them a few times in a set of TM's(can't remember the iron) but not enough to have formed a good opinion on flight/feel. Sorry Hawk. I can look for a set around me and give them some swings. I do plan on getting on a LM soon. Maybe I can find an iron that has the 90's in them

If it works out that would be cool, but don't stress it. I'm finally a high baller but I did have to drop quite a bit of flex to get there. I honestly don't have any idea what the negatives are with that, if any at all. Always curious to know if something could offer that same ball flight and distance with more control. Not that I feel I'm lacking necessarily, but you never know.

If it works out that would be cool, but don't stress it. I'm finally a high baller but I did have to drop quite a bit of flex to get there. I honestly don't have any idea what the negatives are with that, if any at all. Always curious to know if something could offer that same ball flight and distance with more control. Not that I feel I'm lacking necessarily, but you never know.

Recoil 800's dude. Might be perfect for you. I was told that if I liked the Dynalite Golds ball flight, that the 800's are the Recoil to consider. I hit these pretty dang high so I might smack some clouds with anything that goes higher. I want to get to a place that has the full Ping cart and try the G25's with the Recoils they have

Right on man. I'm hoping ttd is able make his way to IL next month so I can hit his.

Chunky, did you put these shafts in your wedges too?

Right on man. I'm hoping ttd is able make his way to IL next month so I can hit his.

I will do my best, and you can hit them all you like. You might be surprised how much you will like them.

I will do my best, and you can hit them all you like. You might be surprised how much you will like them.

Perfect. No biggie if it doesn't work out, but I do want to give these some swings.

Chunky when to take some pictures of that new driver that arrived yesterday can you take some of these irons with the recoils in them? Would love to see how great these look

Chunky when to take some pictures of that new driver that arrived yesterday can you take some of these irons with the recoils in them? Would love to see how great these look

Gah I knew I had forgotten something. Yes I will. Sorry Dean. I know you were waiting on those

I am really enjoying this thread. The technology in these shafts interests me greatly.

I am really enjoying this thread. The technology in these shafts interests me greatly.

Me too. The price is so high though. Maybe you can convince UST to let THP try one of the lower-priced recoils.

That's the main thing that intrigue me the most about graphite iron shafts, it's a tech I don't understand but know could really help my game!

I saw these shafts when I was doing my driver fitting last Friday and made me think of this thread. I've gone back and looked at the last few pages and sounds like most are enjoying these shafts. They just look great when you first put your eyes on 'em. Would love to him them in an iron one day soon!

The look of steel, performance of steel, and body forgiveness of graphite...

What more could someone want in a shaft?? (other than being cheaper of course :D)

Sorry it took so long to get this up, it's been a crazy week for me.

Northampton Valley CC
4/7/13
47* wind 10-15

My plan for this round was to focus on flight, feel and distance control I wasn't concerned with working the ball left or right I'll save that for another day.

I had kind of had an off day with my swing and the Yardage's I was ending up with for my second and third shots, I wanted to give myself the most opportunity I could to hit with the irons so I hit hybrid from the tee instead of driver or 3w to get more chances to hit long and mid irons.

I hit multiple 5,6,7 irons from the fairway's and rough. The flight, distance and dispersion on these shots were on point! If I put a good swing on them the results were outstanding and better then I've ever had with any other shafts. I have a new confidence that I can pick a spot and if I make even an ok swing I can put the ball where I want it to go.

Hole #3 par 3 192yd to the center. this was a perfect hole to see how well the long iron's would hold the green. Went with 5 iron and ended up hitting it a little fat, the flight was a touch higher then normal but only lost about 10-15 yards. The ball barely made it to the green, landed pretty soft and rolled out about 20 feet. I feel like it held pretty well considering it was a miss-hit.

Hole#4 I had 120 to the pin hit a full pw, the ball flew pretty high landed soft and backed up about 2 feet leaving me about 20' right of the hole pin high. The distance was dead on for my pw.
The spin that these generate with the wedges is awesome!

For comparison my sw has a steel shaft in it and I hit a full sw into the green 100yd and the ball rolled out 3'? I thought for sure it would back up after seeing the pw two holes earlier back the ball up. I'll definitely be putting a recoil shaft in my sw very soon, hope to see the same kind of spin.

These shafts continue to impress me every time out! They feel so smooth and give the sensation that the ball is exploding off the face of the club. I absolutely love the trajectory I'm getting with these, the stock shot flight I'm getting is a piercing mid/high that gets the ball through the wind very well without ballooning and if needed can easily be flighted down.

The one thing I think was most notable form this round is the forgiveness of these shafts! Slight miss hits still get up and go where you want them to go and they don't punish your joints like a steel shaft would.

Back