UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Yes, how are these compared to steelfibers?

I went for a driver and 3 wood fitting today, and after hitting a bunch of shots, I noticed my fitter had these shafts in his cart.

I asked if I could simply look at them based on the lurking I've done on this thread. My first thought when he handed one to me was "I can't believe this is graphite." When he asked me if I wanted to swing them, I couldn't help but say yes--even though I'd decided to give up swinging for the day (second day outside for me, first time on grass, 50 degrees with a 20mph wind in my face, still rusty from winter, and any other excuse you want to throw in there).

He set the 125 gram shaft into a Miura 501 CB 6 iron (which I've hit in his studio before matched to KBS shafts and wasn't exactly blown away by) and I took seven swings. It only took one for me to bellow out a "holy crap!" The ball launched high and pure and dead straight. I wasn't on the monitor from where I was hitting and I wouldn't throw out a guess on distance, but those seven balls I hit were the purest iron shots I've ever hit.

After feeling my swing kind of breaking down as the fitting session wore on and the swing count grew, it was eye-popping how well these last swings were. In a word…effortless.

Sitting here on the couch five hours later, I am not thinking about the 40 or so positive results of my driver and 3 wood fitting, but drooling over the last seven balls hit with the Recoils.

I went for a driver and 3 wood fitting today, and after hitting a bunch of shots, I noticed my fitter had these shafts in his cart.

I asked if I could simply look at them based on the lurking I've done on this thread. My first thought when he handed one to me was "I can't believe this is graphite." When he asked me if I wanted to swing them, I couldn't help but say yes--even though I'd decided to give up swinging for the day (second day outside for me, first time on grass, 50 degrees with a 20mph wind in my face, still rusty from winter, and any other excuse you want to throw in there).

He set the 125 gram shaft into a Miura 501 CB 6 iron (which I've hit in his studio before matched to KBS shafts and wasn't exactly blown away by) and I took four swings. It only took one for me to bellow out a "holy crap!" The ball launched high and pure and dead straight. I wasn't on the monitor from where I was hitting and I wouldn't throw out a guess on distance, but those seven balls I hit were the purest iron shots I've ever hit.

After feeling my swing kind of breaking down as the fitting session wore on and the swing count grew, it was eye-popping how well these last swings were. In a word…effortless.

Sitting here on the couch five hours later, I am not thinking about the 40 or so positive results of my driver and 3 wood fitting, but drooling over the last seven balls hit with the Recoils.

good stuff man. Where was your fitter? I'm interested in giving these a few swings.

I'm just outside of Albany, NY. The club fitter I've been working with is my old elementary school gym teacher and high school baseball coach. He picked this up as a hobby and has turned it into a pretty successful side job.

He works out of a trailer and rotates between a few driving ranges in the area that he has agreements with.

During the winter, he sets up shop at the indoor facility at the Cranwell Resort in Lenox, MA.

Haven't gotten a chance to say this, but Chunky, great write ups! Love that you are liking them as much as me and are seeing something similar with the flight being comparable to the KBS tours.

I think I might be able to actually get these on the course tomorrow and I am so ecstatic! Will update for sure if I get a chance to get out.

Today was gorgeous. 60* and just a small breeze. Really wanted to play but a sick son made that impossible. So I carved out 1 hour of time and went to the range. This is my 3rd range session but only the 2nd that I would consider a true test. The first range session was too windy to learn anything about the shaft. Took my son Tyler to the range and he watched me hit some balls.

Today was again all about seeing what is happening on a normal shot. I want to get comfortable with these shafts and getting used to the ball flight on the stock shot is going to make me the most comfortable. Most of my shots are hit with a PW as that is the club I hit the most at the range. Once again I felt like I was truly smashing the cover off the ball. My first thought is that the small kick I am feeling right before impact is giving me a feeling of unleashing some power into the ball. It's something I am slowly getting used to and I really like it.

One thing I thought was funny and kind of reinforces what I have been seeing. My first shot with the PW was a towering shot that landed right on the green. Well my son yelled "Wow that was really high!" lol. He is always impressed with a high shot but it kind of tells me that these are going a little higher than the PXi's which I had been playing recently.

Well I get a call that my son needs me home and so I have about 10 balls left. So it's rapid fire time! I decide I'm going to try and play the low spinner one hop and stop shot. Well if you try and play that shot with an old stock graphite shaft, it's not going to be pretty. The first shot today was an absolute laser that flew the green. Out of the 10 balls, I would say 5 shots were exactly how I would have wanted them to play on the course. I had no issues with flighting these today. Spin looked nice as well.

I am up in the air right now on whether or not these are going to add any distance. I just can't tell until I am hitting balls that I play on the course. Sorry that I can't answer that question yet.

Are you guys seeing the same kick feel that I am?

2nd part to that question. Is it good that I am feeling a kick?

Are you guys seeing the same kick feel that I am?

I finally got these out on the course today and have a write up a little later, but to answer your question, not really. Maybe its just me but they feel exactly like steel. I will say in the longer irons they definitely feel different than regular steel but the shorter ones I am. It feeling what you are.

Are you feeling the kick in the shorter irons? Not sure it's a bad thing though.

2nd part to that question. Is it good that I am feeling a kick?

On full swings they feel a little different then my steel shafts, (not in a bad way) maybe that's the kick that I'm feeling... I'm not really sure about that yet. On partial swings I can really feel the kick.

Great job so far guys.....

I'm really curious about the spin rate. I'm not against a nice, high flight as long as the spin isn't excessive. So I guess I'm hoping to see some launch monitor numbers as everything looks great so far from your range sessions.

I finally got these out on the course today and have a write up a little later, but to answer your question, not really. Maybe its just me but they feel exactly like steel. I will say in the longer irons they definitely feel different than regular steel but the shorter ones I am. It feeling what you are.

Are you feeling the kick in the shorter irons? Not sure it's a bad thing though.

Can't wait to read about it. I am feeling the kick in the shorter irons. I want to say that I feel it even more in the shorter irons to be honest

I'm really curious about the spin rate. I'm not against a nice, high flight as long as the spin isn't excessive. So I guess I'm hoping to see some launch monitor numbers as everything looks great so far from your range sessions.

I asked the dude in the shop if they let people pay to hit on their monitor. He didn't think they did but I will talk to the owner when I see him next. If not, I will go somewhere else that will

On full swings they feel a little different then my steel shafts, (not in a bad way) maybe that's the kick that I'm feeling... I'm not really sure about that yet. On partial swings I can really feel the kick.

I want to pay attention to this on my next session. But I think I am feeling the same thing

I asked the dude in the shop if they let people pay to hit on their monitor. He didn't think they did but I will talk to the owner when I see him next. If not, I will go somewhere else that will

That would be awesome, thank you!

I did put up some numbers earlier in the thread from the launch monitor. I used a 6i, 8i, and PW. Let me quote it again for you.

Here ya go Bret.

Thank you sir. I had forgotten about that because I'm old. Those spin numbers are very low for that launch. Nice! I need to hit these!

So I finally got these shaft out on the course and some real grass. I must say I was quite surprised with my results.

I was seeing a much lower flight on the grass then what I was seeing off if the mats. I am just gonna chalk it up to getting used to grass from the long winter layoff. I did see some nice high shots here and there but for the most part I would say these were a mid/mid-low.

So on the first hole I pushed my drive right in the rough and had about 145 to the hole. Had a pretty decent wind coming right to left and a little in my face. Pulled a 9i and flew the green. That was a whoa moment for me. I just tried to take an easy swing and it was into the wind so I thought that was the best play. Turns out I hit it solid and it was a nice high bomb that flew the green.

On the 4th hole I hit the **** of the day. It was a par three and I had 131 to the hole, pulled a PW and this is how the shot ended up.

8ene6y3y.jpg

That was the end of the better shots of the day as I carried for the first time in about 10 years and my back as not happy with me, so my swing went a little downhill. I did hit a nice 7i on hole 8 that was another high bomb and left me about 15' for birdie.

All in all it was an OK ball striking day, it was my first round of the year so I still have some kinks to work out but I am still loving the shafts and am getting incredible flight and spin with all irons. Don't think I had one shot into a green that released more than 2'.

I know chunky was talking about feeling these irons kick a little on the downswing into the strike of the ball. This is something I will be focusing on the next time out and like always if you have something you are interested let me know and I will be sure to tackle it the next time out.

Thank you sir. I had forgotten about that because I'm old. Those spin numbers are very low for that launch. Nice! I need to hit these!

Haha not a problem. Glad to help. And yes you need to hit these. I really think with your swing these would really fit you well. I know you have a pretty steep angle of attack and these might help get the ball up a little more for you and land a little softer.

If you find yourself this way, I've got one in Charlotte you're welcome to.

I am sorry I have not updated the past few days. My wife and kids got into an accident last night and then this morning I got into an accident. I'm a little discombobulated right now. I will be posting updates tomorrow. Sorry

I am sorry I have not updated the past few days. My wife and kids got into an accident last night and then this morning I got into an accident. I'm a little discombobulated right now. I will be posting updates tomorrow. Sorry

Take care of you and your family buddy. Sorry to hear this, hope all is ok.

Jeez dude you too? Sorry to hear that Ken, I hope you're ok. Don't worry about not getting it in tonight, or tomorrow, or the next day. Make sure you're good to go and then catch us all up on them.

If anyone has a problem with that Chunky they need to have their head examined. Family first man, be there for them, golf clubs can wait.

Back