UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Hi all.
Sorry bit of an older thread, but I got fitted by Mizuno and recommended me 1inch longer KBS C Taper 130x

They didn't have recoil on there but I was looking at the UST Recoil Prototype 125 F5 and wondered how they would compare?

A good strike 7 iron for me carries about 190, quite a quick tempo.

Thanks

Hi all.
Sorry bit of an older thread, but I got fitted by Mizuno and recommended me 1inch longer KBS C Taper 130x

They didn't have recoil on there but I was looking at the UST Recoil Prototype 125 F5 and wondered how they would compare?

A good strike 7 iron for me carries about 190, quite a quick tempo.

Thanks

They would be pretty similar I’m guessing. I have a set of 125 Proto F5’s and recently had a set of C-Taper 120S shafts, the Recoils were much more stable and had a lower ball flight. If you’re worried about the Recoils being a little soft you could always hard step them once. Hope that helps.

I have been gaming the recoil smacwrap 780 f4 in my Ben Hogan PTx pro irons for the last month now. I came from the recoil 110's so kind of a big change for me but I'm really enjoying these so far. I am getting a higher ball flight and they feel great.

Every time someone asks what shafts are in my irons, I tell them Recoils. They go "you play graphite, really??" I go yep. Then they grab one and go wow that a graphite shaft?! Then they hit one and after the first ball, they really don't know what to say because they weren't expecting such positive results. It always seems like the gears are turning 100 mph after hitting the first ball for someone lol then its "well that's def not what I expected, that's really nice"

If you havnt tried these, please take the time to do so.

Also, there is an event coming up called the Graphite Challenge presented by UST Mamiya. This would be an awesome chance to give these a go and get all the information about them right from the manufacturer at the event.

2BFAST;n8881614 said:
Every time someone asks what shafts are in my irons, I tell them Recoils. They go "you play graphite, really??" I go yep. Then they grab one and go wow that a graphite shaft?! Then they hit one and after the first ball, they really don't know what to say because they weren't expecting such positive results. It always seems like the gears are turning 100 mph after hitting the first ball for someone lol then its "well that's def not what I expected, that's really nice"

If you havnt tried these, please take the time to do so.

Also, there is an event coming up called the Graphite Challenge presented by UST Mamiya. This would be an awesome chance to give these a go and get all the information about them right from the manufacturer at the event.

Even with the Recoil 95's I have in mine people are still surprised at how they feel. Definitely a feel difference between the 110's I had in the Srixon heads, but still great.

2BFAST;n8898768 said:
justincredible , thoughts on the Recoils in your Hogans yet?

Yeah, I guess I have neglected this thread and have done all of my reviewing in the PTx Pro thread.

I really wish I had more experience with different iron shafts so I'd have a larger set to compare from, but I'll do my best.

The main difference I've noticed is a much more aggressive (I think that's an apt description) ball flight. When I make solid contact the ball absolutely launches off the club face. I NEVER experienced anything like that with the steel TTs in my old Ping's. The ball flight was fine, but it just kinda happened. It was lazy. With the Recoils the ball launches like a damn rocket and it's beautiful. I get a similar flight, though slightly more muted, with my new Equalizers with Recoil 780s, but I definitely prefer the weight of the 110s. As such, I will likely replace the 780s with 110s in the near future to give me matching shafts through the set.

The other big positive I've noticed as I'm getting older and recovery isn't quite as easy, is that I'm far less sore after 18 holes that with the steel shafts. I know that kinda plays into the "graphite is for old people" stereotype, but it's only a small part of why graphite is great. Why not feel better after a round than you otherwise would?

Unfortunately I'm not skilled or experienced enough to really know or describe the "feel" of the shaft through the swing, I can only say it feels more comfortable that steel. I'm not sure if that's due to the weight, or flex profile, or a combination of the two, but the Recoils just feel better to swing.

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer, that might give me something to consider that I hadn't thought to before. Otherwise, all I can say is the Recoil 110s are fantastic shafts and you should absolutely test them out in a fitting if you get the chance. Obviously go with what gives you the best results, but you're short changing yourself if you don't at least consider graphite in your irons.

To me, after playing Recoils for so long I hit a friends club that had a steel shaft. I wasn't comparing shafts just hitting his new club. No comparison on feel for me, I didn't say anything to him but I gave it back and was like wow

I may have become a recoil fan today. I was hitting a bunch of heads from Mizuno with all sorts of X stiff 130 shafts. And all was good, yada, yada. And then the pro had me hit his Apex 19 pros with recoil 95(?) shaft. ??flex. The feel of the club head through the swing was very interesting, and the impact feel was lovely. I ballooned a couple at first and the flight was a little high on average, but the dispersion was tight. As I got used to them, I had more flight control. I stepped on a couple, and the shaft held up just fine. I generate good club head speed, but I'm also 56 and want to keep a sustainable game. I am sitting here wondering why I wouldn't pick up something like the Apex 19 pros (surprisingly nice) with a recoil shaft. In my little fitting and exploration session today, that setup felt so nice and easy. I am really confused but intrigued.

Last edited:
Maybe i need to try them again, as i understand it, the last set i had, the loft lies were so far out, i just thought they did not work for me. They went to a good home but i hear more and more good things about them from people who have swing speeds higher than I.

Have a set of 95’s going in my Hogan’s this weekend. Can’t wait to get back to less painful golf

mtcowdog;n8900163 said:
I may have become a recoil fan today. I was hitting a bunch of heads from Mizuno with all sorts of X stiff 130 shafts. And all was good, yada, yada. And then the pro had me hit his Apex 19 pros with recoil 95(?) shaft. F4 flex. The feel of the club head through the swing was very interesting, and the impact feel was lovely. I ballooned a couple at first and the flight was a little high on average, but the dispersion was tight. As I got used to them, I had more flight control. I stepped on a couple, and the shaft held up just fine. I generate good club head speed, but I'm also 56 and want to keep a sustainable game. I am sitting here wondering why I wouldn't pick up something like the Apex 19 pros (surprisingly nice) with a recoil shaft. In my little fitting and exploration session today, that setup felt so nice and easy. I am really confused but intrigued.

I know exactly what your putting down here. Once one test drives them, EVERYTIME I see that look on ones face.....the gears are turning like wow I totally wasn't expecting that. They aren't for everyone, but man if anyone out there hasn't tried them you need to take the time to do so.

mtcowdog;n8900163 said:
I may have become a recoil fan today. I was hitting a bunch of heads from Mizuno with all sorts of X stiff 130 shafts. And all was good, yada, yada. And then the pro had me hit his Apex 19 pros with recoil 95(?) shaft. F4 flex. The feel of the club head through the swing was very interesting, and the impact feel was lovely. I ballooned a couple at first and the flight was a little high on average, but the dispersion was tight. As I got used to them, I had more flight control. I stepped on a couple, and the shaft held up just fine. I generate good club head speed, but I'm also 56 and want to keep a sustainable game. I am sitting here wondering why I wouldn't pick up something like the Apex 19 pros (surprisingly nice) with a recoil shaft. In my little fitting and exploration session today, that setup felt so nice and easy. I am really confused but intrigued.
Thats the cool thing about Recoils. You can give it another gear and it will still deliver with tight dispersion and unparalleled feel, provided you're in the correct weight and flex. They're so good! I haven't come across anything quite like them.

Would love to try these in my irons. Heard many great things, primarily in this thread.

golfunfiltered;n8900638 said:
Would love to try these in my irons. Heard many great things, primarily in this thread.

I have them in 765's and you cant get me out of them. Iv also said it previously in this thread, but what I like the most is in the wedges.

golfunfiltered;n8900638 said:
Curious what you're gaming now. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these considering your insightful analytics in other threads.

2BFAST;n8900641 said:
I have them in 765's and you cant get me out of them. Iv also said it previously in this thread, but what I like the most is in the wedges.
Those wedge protos are amazing!

dacatalyst41;n8900653 said:
Those wedge protos are amazing!

No doubt. 100 and in pitching, chipping, bunker, everything. So smooth and soft.

2BFAST;n8900743 said:
No doubt. 100 and in pitching, chipping, bunker, everything. So smooth and soft.
I feel like they increased spin for me as well. Could've been in my head but some of the best check up shots came with those in the bag.

dacatalyst41;n8900750 said:
I feel like they increased spin for me as well. Could've been in my head but some of the best check up shots came with those in the bag.

I can tell you I never have an issue with spin with my wedges unless my strike is complete trash. Its hard to describe any more than I already have. Just gotta try them.

dacatalyst41;n8900646 said:
Curious what you're gaming now. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these considering your insightful analytics in other threads.

Right now I've got the stock Nippon MODUS3 Tour shafts in my 785/Z-Forged combo set. Fantastic feel, and launch is ideal. Wondering if I could pick up a little more spin in my scoring irons with a switch, though...

Need to redo the 6 iron after work, but the smoke Apex Pros have Recoil 110 F4s in them. Hopefully they stay together.

golfunfiltered;n8900843 said:
Right now I've got the stock Nippon MODUS3 Tour shafts in my 785/Z-Forged combo set. Fantastic feel, and launch is ideal. Wondering if I could pick up a little more spin in my scoring irons with a switch, though...
Only one way to find out...
44c614cd06a336517071c5bda75db335.gif

Greg Kulbick;n8900875 said:
Need to redo the 6 iron after work, but the smoke Apex Pros have Recoil 110 F4s in them. Hopefully they stay together.

Apex 19's with Recoil 110's have been on my mind a LOT lately. Did you switch out the LZ's for the 110's?

I can't decide if I want to go 110 or 125. Danny said it is mostly about feel but 125 helps with more aggressive transitions.

Back