UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

dacatalyst41;n8904731 said:
I can't decide if I want to go 110 or 125. Danny said it is mostly about feel but 125 helps with more aggressive transitions.

My transition has been described as "violent", and I don't think I have any problem with the 110s.

Greg Kulbick;n8904834 said:
My transition has been described as "violent", and I don't think I have any problem with the 110s.

When D fitted me for my Recoils.....I thought the 95's were it. He goes "brother, you cant argue with that ball flight. 110s man" I go really? He goes "hit another"...so I did and he goes "look!!"

110's it is lol and I havnt looked back.

With that said im not saying 110's are it for you, just a funny story.

Last edited:
Put some 95’s in my Hogan’s to try to ease the pain in my hands. Only played 9 with them but I didn’t have any extra pain or soreness afterwards like I did with the KBS. My swing was trashier than usual but I did hit some solid shots. Once I get used to them I think they’ll be really good for my game

2BFAST;n8904841 said:
When D fitted me for my Recoils.....I thought the 95's were it. He goes "brother, you cant argue with that ball flight. 110s man" I go really? He goes "hit another"...so I did and he goes "look!!"

110's is it lol and I havnt looked back.

Awesome story! I might need to see if I can get down to UST again...you know...for science.

dacatalyst41;n8904847 said:
Awesome story! I might need to see if I can get down to UST again...you know...for science.

Ya take me with you!!!! I really liked the 110's in the 765's when I played them. The 95's are just as good if you need just a bit lighter shaft. Maybe the 95's in an Apex combo come December would be good. :D

Snickerdog;n8904890 said:
Ya take me with you!!!! I really liked the 110's in the 765's when I played them. The 95's are just as good if you need just a bit lighter shaft. Maybe the 95's in an Apex combo come December would be good. :D
95's are a lot easier to get a hold of at ECPC from what I remember. You might want to wait it out. Hehe.

2BFAST;n8904841 said:

110's it is lol and I havnt looked back.

That's awesome. I seriously need some more 110's in my life.

Dropping back in here to give some love to the 110s. I'm on an absolute roll with my irons right now, and this shaft should be getting a lot of the credit. I think I've finally found my repeatable swing and these shafts are really starting to pay off. It's a real treat to hit your approach with a 7-iron from 160 and watch the ball stop within a foot of the ball mark. Last night I had GIRs with my 9 iron, 7 iron (2x) and 5 iron (2x).

Bottom line, you can add my Recoil 110s to the list of things you can pry out of my cold, dead hands.

Bottom line, you can add my Recoil 110s to the list of things you can pry out of my cold, dead hands.

So cool.

I can quote this as my own also. They are hard to beat....

Dropping back in here to give some love to the 110s. I'm on an absolute roll with my irons right now, and this shaft should be getting a lot of the credit. I think I've finally found my repeatable swing and these shafts are really starting to pay off. It's a real treat to hit your approach with a 7-iron from 160 and watch the ball stop within a foot of the ball mark. Last night I had GIRs with my 9 iron, 7 iron (2x) and 5 iron (2x).

So cool.

I can quote this as my own also. They are hard to beat....

Can’t wait to get my hands on these in November.

Can’t wait to get my hands on these in November.

Your first reaction would be fun to watch as everyone that hits mine their faces are pretty fun to watch

2 weeks ago I picked up a prototype 125 f5 for my 50* and 2 recoil wedge protos for my 54 and 58.... WOW!!!! They feel incredible! Ive been a project x 6.5 user for at least 6 years and loved them. Like most people I was nervous about "graphite" being too soft or loose feeling. Neither the 125 Proto or wedge proto felt loose to me

They were very smooth to swing and I never came close to overpowering the shaft. Even at the same weight as PX 6.5 these felt lighter to me yet very controllable! The flight was perfect and I felt I could feel more feedback in my hands and where I struck the ball on the face

2 weeks ago I picked up a prototype 125 f5 for my 50* and 2 recoil wedge protos for my 54 and 58.... WOW!!!! They feel incredible! Ive been a project x 6.5 user for at least 6 years and loved them. Like most people I was nervous about "graphite" being too soft or loose feeling. Neither the 125 Proto or wedge proto felt loose to me

They were very smooth to swing and I never came close to overpowering the shaft. Even at the same weight as PX 6.5 these felt lighter to me yet very controllable! The flight was perfect and I felt I could feel more feedback in my hands and where I struck the ball on the face

Im sure you have seen but I have said many times in here what I like the most about Recoil shafts is in my wedges. Chipping and pitching is what I like the most. The feel is incred. The feel is incred throughout my irons too, but wedges are fun

Im sure you have seen but I have said many times in here what I like the most about Recoil shafts is in my wedges. Chipping and pitching is what I like the most. The feel is incred. The feel is incred throughout my irons too, but wedges are fun

yea I haven't hit my irons yet. They're being regripped and trimmed down....but yes the feel of the wedge shafts are amazing. Full shots with my 3 wedges felt incredible and were very accurate. PX has always been the most accurate shaft for me, but yesterday the recoils were so incredibly accurate.

At my driving range there are targets 30 - 50 yards away and with the wedge proto shaft I was consistently hitting the same distance shot after shot after shot. In the wedges I couldn't always say that for Project X

yea I haven't hit my irons yet. They're being regripped and trimmed down....but yes the feel of the wedge shafts are amazing. Full shots with my 3 wedges felt incredible and were very accurate. PX has always been the most accurate shaft for me, but yesterday the recoils were so incredibly accurate.

At my driving range there are targets 30 - 50 yards away and with the wedge proto shaft I was consistently hitting the same distance shot after shot after shot. In the wedges I couldn't always say that for Project X

Haha, wait until you hit your irons.

....but yes the feel of the wedge shafts are amazing.

I have been working with an instructor here lately just using a wedge working on strictly being connected and rotation. First after a couple seshes I had been using my 50* RTX-4 w/ Recoil 110 F4 and noticed after those two seshes I have a couple rock dings on the leading edge from going through ball after ball. So from now on until we move into the hitting bays inside when the weather turns im going to use my retired Vokey SM5 54* with True Temper S300 shaft which I used last night.

NO COMPARISON

Even on a well struck shot that still feels good......its nothing like one with a Recoil shaft. I don't like to say never, but its going to be pretty damn hard to get me to game a club without a Recoil shaft in it.

Ive been playing the ZT9 shafts in my irons for almost a year now. Tennis elbow is completely gone. I love the feel of them. I wished I’d switched sooner.

Sounds like my swing, I even say most times after I swing, man that was hectic, not good. I have always wanted to try to get into a set of these. I have tried fitting myself, 95proto 110 proto 110 normals F4's just didn't seem right. Never consider going up,125's. Wish they were closer I would defiantly stop in and let Danny do his magic

Sounds like my swing, I even say most times after I swing, man that was hectic, not good. I have always wanted to try to get into a set of these. I have tried fitting myself, 95proto 110 proto 110 normals F4's just didn't seem right. Never consider going up,125's. Wish they were closer I would defiantly stop in and let Danny do his magic

Definitely try 125's or maybe even F5... I'm one of the last people I thought would like graphite iron shafts but now understand my original perception of graphite shafts was way off. I average about 110 SS with driver and generally fit in to stout x flex shafts.... with the 125 f5 protos I don't come close to overpowering them like I thought I might. Very stable and hold up to the the most violent transitions. I have a shorter backswing (kind of Jon Rahm ish type) and start my downswing pretty aggressively.

These are so much more smooth than my other iron set with Project X 6.5 and I love PX

I'm so blown away by the the recoil prototypes in my irons that im now looking for the utility/driving iron prototype to go all Recoil shafts!

Last edited:
Looking forward to drop some thoughts on the Recoil shafts in a few weeks.

I'm one of the last people I thought would like graphite iron shafts but now understand my original perception of graphite shafts was way off.

I have always wanted to try to get into a set of these. I have tried fitting myself, 95proto 110 proto 110 normals F4's just didn't seem right. Never consider going up,125's.

So did you actually try them or just do the online fitting gizmo?

....and I know its been awhile but never would of thought you would be into a 125 or F5 shaft?

So did you actually try them or just do the online fitting gizmo?

....and I know its been awhile but never would of thought you would be into a 125 or F5 shaft?
Tried. Never did the on line. The head is key. I was trying CF16’s and the standard recoil 110 made the ball balloon. Then tried 95 protos in some Wilson Staffs and thought they were to light.

Tried. Never did the on line. The head is key. I was trying CF16’s and the standard recoil 110 made the ball balloon. Then tried 95 protos in some Wilson Staffs and thought they were to light.

Interesting. To bad they didn’t have a 125 or F5 to try out....

Back