UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Man those shafts from the Graphite Challenge is straight hot

Man those shafts from the Graphite Challenge is straight hot
They do look amazing and are perfect conversation starters to spread the Recoil love.

A little more feedback.

As I've mentioned, prior to the Graphite Challenge, I played KBS C-Taper 120s in my M6 irons. My normal shot shape was a draw 6-AW and my trajectory was higher than I would've expected with that shaft. I'm very comfortable hitting my 49 degree AW 120-125, 43.5 PW 130-140, 9i 140-150, 8i 160-170, 7i 170-80 and 6i 180-190 knowing I can push that range another 5-10 yards without coming out of my shoes. Dispersion was my issue. Danny fit me into the Recoil proto 100.

At the event, I saw that my dispersion appeared to coming around and that, at least on that Sunday, my distances weren't much off, despite the loft differences.

I played this past Sunday and outside of a couple of shots had a really good day striking the ball. The other guys from the Graphite Challenge have given you the tech behind the Recoils so I'll try to focus a little more on feel and playability.

It was a little chilly, a slight breeze and the ground was firm but not hard and dry. I had little to no vibration, even with the bucket of Pinnacle range balls I hit prior to the round. I hit a few shots low on the face and expected some harshness from the range balls but it wasn't there. Even with a CSX on a cool day, there was no appreciable harshness. If I missed a little on the toe or heel, I didn't experience any twisting or significant loss of distance. The stability and balance of the shaft is excellent.

The shafts lend themselves to a smooth swing. It's almost as if the shafts have led me to a better tempo and a better synched swing. My ball striking has been more consistent in my admittedly limited time with the shafts and the PTX Pro irons. Even with 4-5 degree weaker lofts, I was able to play within a few yards of my normal distances. Trajectory was much easier to control than with my steel shafts. Even into the wind, shots didn't balloon. My draw was cut in half with the longer irons and nearly non-existent with short irons. I haven't been on a monitor to see what my dispersion is but my eyes tell me it is much better on the course and on the range.

Most importantly, at least for me, is that I had very little hand pain Monday morning. Normally, my hands hurt for a few days after a round. Not with these shafts. I didn't think about it until @mmaynard11 mentioned it but I wasn't as tired after Sunday's round. Usually, I will have a few weak pushes over the last 3 or 4 holes of a round. Sunday, I pushed one but it was striped.

I know my season is coming to an end soon. I'll be very eager to get back out with the Recoils and PTX Pros as soon as I can.

Coming from project x 6.5 in irons and 7.0 in wedges, im blown away at the 125 prototypes. Ive always been like most people who have the preconceived notion that graphite irons are for slower speeds...definitely not the case!!

My first 2 sessions on the monitor with these vs my other irons with PX, the recoil prototypes were more accurate. Im sure some can be swing related of course but there were no ugly/bad misses with these vs Project X. There is a much more consistent launch and spin with these. If we get a random nice day here in Chicago I cant wait to get these on the course

They hold up pretty damn good don't they? The 110 Protos in F4 feel more robust to me than a 120g steel shaft like Modus or DG... I noticed this in the hitting bay. I can step on it and they just ask for more.

The shafts lend themselves to a smooth swing. It's almost as if the shafts have led me to a better tempo and a better synched swing. My ball striking has been more consistent in my admittedly limited time with the shafts and the PTX Pro irons.

This has also been my exact experience.

This has also been my exact experience.

Me three on the helps promote good tempo thought. I have a fairly smooth tempo, and really like how these load and Recoil ? (ha... see what i did there!) It has been easy to find center and time release,very intuitive. At the same time, they seem to have plenty of pop to stand up to a fast release or aggressive transition. Very nice feel for the head of the club.

Since i just gave my last set away on THP as part of Holiday Cheer, I have my next set narrowed down to a couple of choices.
I did decide firmly that Recoil 95 Proto shafts will be in them though.

Since i just gave my last set away on THP as part of Holiday Cheer, I have my next set narrowed down to a couple of choices.
Great choice.

There just isn’t a better shaft than that for me. Period. Excited to see what you are building!

As the grateful recipient of JBs set, I am dying to get these in my hands at the simulator. Went yesterday and prepaid for 15 hours of time, winter be damned!?

Time for a other update on my progress with the Recoil 110 prototypes I received in the Graphite Challenge. I have played 4 rounds since my last update with scores of 90, 96, 97 and 106, with several range sessions mixed in. I remain a 21 handicap.

Over the last few rounds, I have struggled with making consistent impact. As some of you may recall, I ordered these clubs +1/2" in length, but I have never been fit for clubs, so this was primarily based on what I thought would work well for me. in retrospect, it was a mistake to do so. After taking some video of my swing, I noticed that I was swaying really bad in my lower half, legs folding like a cheap suit. I am going to be courageous here and post the video, although I am not proud of it. This first video, albeit with a driver, is an example of a time during the event when I was swinging the club fairly well for me:

View attachment Driver 1.mp4

Below is a video at my swing, which has degraded lately:
View attachment Iron 1.mp4

So, after some testing, reflection, and a bit of comparison to other clubs, I felt that I would be better off with two changes to the clubs. First, I wanted larger grips with cords to deal with the Miami humidity. second, I wanted the length of the clubs brought down to standard. Thankfully, a new Club Champion opened near my house, so I took the clubs in. After speaking with the fitter there, and taking some static measurements, he seemed to agree with my plan to shorten the club length and go a bit larger on the grips. Fast forward, I now have the 6i playing at 37.5" and a set of Golf Pride MCC+4 Aligns installed. And boy do these clubs look awesome now.

Recoil 1.jpg
Weather permitting, I hope to get these clubs out this weekend. I think these minor adjustments are going to be just what I need to feel more confident in my swing and help create a bit more space so I don't slide and sway as much with my lower half to try to create space to accommodate the club head. So far, I have loved the performance of the shafts when I hit a well struck shot. They provide effortless distance and amazing feel and feedback. I have also avoided almost all of my elbow pain that was hampering me right before the event. I am also curious to see if my distances remain the same with the shorter length. My guess is that they will because I will be making contact with the center of the club face more often, in theory anyways.

Those irons are hawt!

Time for a other update on my progress with the Recoil 110 prototypes I received in the Graphite Challenge. I have played 4 rounds since my last update with scores of 90, 96, 97 and 106, with several range sessions mixed in. I remain a 21 handicap.

Over the last few rounds, I have struggled with making consistent impact. As some of you may recall, I ordered these clubs +1/2" in length, but I have never been fit for clubs, so this was primarily based on what I thought would work well for me. in retrospect, it was a mistake to do so. After taking some video of my swing, I noticed that I was swaying really bad in my lower half, legs folding like a cheap suit. I am going to be courageous here and post the video, although I am not proud of it. This first video, albeit with a driver, is an example of a time during the event when I was swinging the club fairly well for me:

View attachment 8919601

Below is a video at my swing, which has degraded lately:
View attachment 8919602

So, after some testing, reflection, and a bit of comparison to other clubs, I felt that I would be better off with two changes to the clubs. First, I wanted larger grips with cords to deal with the Miami humidity. second, I wanted the length of the clubs brought down to standard. Thankfully, a new Club Champion opened near my house, so I took the clubs in. After speaking with the fitter there, and taking some static measurements, he seemed to agree with my plan to shorten the club length and go a bit larger on the grips. Fast forward, I now have the 6i playing at 37.5" and a set of Golf Pride MCC+4 Aligns installed. And boy do these clubs look awesome now.

View attachment 8919603
Weather permitting, I hope to get these clubs out this weekend. I think these minor adjustments are going to be just what I need to feel more confident in my swing and help create a bit more space so I don't slide and sway as much with my lower half to try to create space to accommodate the club head. So far, I have loved the performance of the shafts when I hit a well struck shot. They provide effortless distance and amazing feel and feedback. I have also avoided almost all of my elbow pain that was hampering me right before the event. I am also curious to see if my distances remain the same with the shorter length. My guess is that they will because I will be making contact with the center of the club face more often, in theory anyways.
WOW those shafts look !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am seriously thinking about stuffing my clubs in the car to make the drive down to Florida on Wed! I need to get out to swing these beauties!!!

I've been using an Apex UT the last couple of months with a Recoil 110 F4 shaft and it's been absolutely money. The shaft feels so good and effortless to swing and it seems to load so easy. It seems like every shot I hit with it is smashed. It has new really looking forward to getting my full set in to some new irons.

I mentioned n the Apex 19 thread that I killed some time hitting an 8i with a popular steel shaft. It confirmed for me that I’m a graphite guy - and In particular UST - for life.

I mean... just look at these. :love: Do THP and UST know how to put an event together? I hope all of you Distance Bash guys are seriously contemplating Recoils in your irons by now :sneaky:

index.php

I mean... just look at these. :love: Do THP and UST know how to put an event together? I hope all of you Distance Bash guys are seriously contemplating Recoils in your irons by now :sneaky:

index.php
Truly fantastic. I got 18 in yesterday and once again the Recoils just performed. Felt like I picked up right we’re I left off. Iron game is coming along nicely and the Recoils are a large part of that.
#1 thing I like about these is I feel like I know where the club head is at through the entire swing. Stable feeling brings so much more confidence!!!

At some point this year, I'm giving the Recoil proto 110's a LOOOOONG look.

I think I'm over dealing with the elbow pain associated with steel.
Can’t hurt to try...tighter dispersion makes even a more lethal Dan!!!

Imagine?

So easy to hit, such a great flight. The numbers I was getting at UST Mamiya HQ were nutty.

Imagine?

So easy to hit, such a great flight. The numbers I was getting at UST Mamiya HQ were nutty.

And shafts are coming from that fitting. In fact I think you saw a preview :love:

My adjustment time was nonexistent. It was (and is) a most pleasant Experience.

Imagine?

I was one on the fence with switching to graphite. Little did I know it was going to be the best thing for my game.

Hey THP I have tons of steel shafts up for grabs...

Back