UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

910E1F9C-DADD-42A5-8666-A9F91E4A53BF-9589-0000055945B47012.jpg

The chrome finish really matches up with with the chrome on the steel shaft.

Chunky, what are your thoughts on the weight? Have you hit graphite shafts in that weight range in the past? Any preconcieved notions going through your head?

Looks very similar to a tour velvet

I have some UST Mamiya grips on my clubs and like them quite a bit. I think it's cool that they sent you the grips as well, that should assist in the costs for you guys.

Their new grip line looks great.

Chunky, what are your thoughts on the weight? Have you hit graphite shafts in that weight range in the past? Any preconcieved notions going through your head?

I'm very optimistic about the weight. In driver shafts, I have had very good success with using the 70 gram version over the 60 gram version. It seems to work better for my tempo IMO

In iron shafts, I have used a wide range of weights. The PX graphite was in the 90 gram range. The PXi's with cushin insert are right around 105 I think. The KBS tours are 120ish I think, possibly lighter. I seem to hit the KBS better. Is it the weight? I can't say for sure but I do hit those better

Just for a graphite example, I really enjoy the Matrix Programs. They are about as heavy as it gets and I believe the same weight range as the Recoils. Heavier weight seems to jive with my swing.

My preconceived notion is that I am very excited. I think these are going to work very well for me. The obvious and first benefits are going to be for my body. I've said it a billion times, but I am falling apart. Bad hands, back, knee, brain.... Graphite helps tremendously in taking the vibrations away which means less wear and tear on the body. That means more range time for me. That means happier Ken.

My only concern is the ball flight. These are labeled as mid/low. I tend to like a high flight. The KBS tours are labeled mid though and I hit them sky high so I think it really does come down to that persons swing and how the shaft reacts to it. I picked irons that are known to have a high flight to them so I'm hoping that everything will meld into a perfect marriage of mid/high.

I have some UST Mamiya grips on my clubs and like them quite a bit. I think it's cool that they sent you the grips as well, that should assist in the costs for you guys.

That's what I was thinking. Not only will some have to pay to have them assembled, but they're also going to have ot pay for grips. Kudos to UST for eating that cost too!

Excellent. Very interested in what all of you end up seeing, especially when it comes to ball flight.

Hey guys going to see if I can post the image of the Prototype webpage with the info on the shaft and the flexes

Here's a few a bit larger!!!
recoil™ Prototype - Available through TOURSPX dealers only
Finally, a revolutionary technology that will change how you think about iron shafts. UST Mamiya’s new recoil iron shafts are a game changer. In the past, heavy weight graphite iron shafts felt dead and stiff. With UST Mamiya’s exclusive recoil™ technology, we have brought feel back into the shaft, while allowing players to hit a wide range of shots that result in better distance control and pin seeking accuracy.
By positioning over 19 different layers within the shaft, we were able to create a design that outperforms the best steel shafts in the market. The recoil™ Prototype shafts are constant weight designs, with balance points adjusted so there will be no drop off in swing weight when re-shafting your steel shafted irons.

• Better players looking for great feel and the ability to work the ball
  • Lower balance, higher flex point
  • Heavier weights with firmer tip for lower flight

Product CodeFlexWeight
(g)
Torque
(deg)
LaunchTip OD
(mm/inch)
Tip
Parallel
(mm/inch)
Length
(mm/inch)
970T-R F3 90-97 3.1-2.2 Medium 9.02 / 0.355 Taper 1041-940 / 41-37
970T-S F4 90-97 3.1-2.2 Medium 9.02 / 0.355 Taper 1041-940 / 41-37
970T-X F5 90-97 3.1-2.2 Medium 9.02 / 0.355 Taper 1041-940 / 41-37
980T-S F4 106-110 2.8-2.1 Med-Low 9.02 / 0.355 Taper 1041-940 / 41-37
980T-X F5 106-110 2.8-2.1 Med-Low 9.02 / 0.355 Taper 1041-940 / 41-37
990T-S F4 118-121 2.7-1.9 Med-Low 9.02 / 0.355 Taper 1041-940 / 41-37
990T-X F5 122-125 2.7-1.9 Med-Low 9.02 / 0.355 Taper 1041-940 / 41-37

Depending on the model these can run pretty high. Prices below are what I have been quoted

600 series--$40
800 series--$60-80
Prototypes--$110-$125
I just cried a little. Some day, some day...

Great updates so far guys, and WOW do those look AMAZING!! Any info/insight as to why they went with chrome to match steel shafts? My initial thoughts are tied to the whole "golfer Ego" thing (graphite is for old guys with slow swings), I don't necessarily buy into that philosophy after doing more research on these and others, but do you think they went with this finish for familiarity purposes, or so your golfing buddies that aren't as educated won't know, or something else? I know I'll be following along closely, while the cost is out of my league for now, I think this is the future of iron shafts. Good luck guys!

Anyone have theirs assembled yet? Would love to see pics!

Mine are prepped and ready to be glued. I will get some better pics up this afternoon.

Here's a few pics to get started.
DE33B72D-231B-4361-AD16-0A29895DCDCE-10085-000005B6CDB764D9.jpg

5628AB4D-C75E-4D23-B477-041A01CD9154-10085-000005B6AE2C3656.jpg

Looks good CS!

Very sharp CS!

Great updates so far guys, and WOW do those look AMAZING!! Any info/insight as to why they went with chrome to match steel shafts? My initial thoughts are tied to the whole "golfer Ego" thing (graphite is for old guys with slow swings), I don't necessarily buy into that philosophy after doing more research on these and others, but do you think they went with this finish for familiarity purposes, or so your golfing buddies that aren't as educated won't know, or something else? I know I'll be following along closely, while the cost is out of my league for now, I think this is the future of iron shafts. Good luck guys!

I definitely think it was done for familiarity reasons. For me it will make the transition much easier. I'm not sure if I could get used to a bright colored or graphics covered shaft in my irons.

Those look amazing installed!

I might just have to give those a swing at the AC invitational if possible...those look GORGEOUS installed.

looking good so far CS!

Just finished up epoxying the shafts into the heads, will install the grips soon and get some pics of the finished product. hopefully I will be able to get a few swings with them tonight and post some preliminary thoughts about how they feel. This weekend is suppose to very nice so I will be hitting the range or getting a round in somewhere.

I might just have to give those a swing at the AC invitational if possible...those look GORGEOUS installed.

looking good so far CS!

Thank's guys! Nate you can definitely test them out at the invitational!

Those are some great pics CS. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Back