JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you ever played golf in Utah? Maybe you live there, maybe via travel. Tell us your favorite course and why. ?

Have you ever played golf in Utah? Maybe you live there, maybe via travel. Tell us your favorite course and why. ?

WTF? Research for MC course. Just threw a dart and it landed on Utah so now gotta find a course!

Utah has some amazing courses . Sky mountain or Soldier Hollow come to mind. But I know there are many more outstanding courses in the state

• Admin
WTF? Research for MC course. Just threw a dart and it landed on Utah so now gotta find a course!

Hahah, no, I’m a pretty good planner. ?

• Love
Reactions: JB
Hope there are
Some good mountain courses

Try Valley View in Layton Ut. Bountiful Ridge in Bountiful Ut.

Last edited:
I have not but I’ve heard the golf courses in and around Park City are splendid!

I’m ready to head to Utah though as I’ve never been there.

SandHollow is one of the best courses anywhere.

I have not, but would really, really, like to.

I know absolutely nothing about Utah but plan to know more next year!! Sorry can’t be of help right now haha

Utah is an awesome state for all kinds of sports. I have been there several times but have never played golf. I went from riding mountain bikes in the desert at about 100 and then traveling to Snowbird in the afternoon standing in snow at the top of a mountain.

Been to Utah.... never with my clubs! Maybe 2020 if I’m lucky :)

I’ve got my eye on Sand Hollow for one of my upcoming trips to Vegas.

I grew up in Utah, but unfortunately didn't do a ton of golfing in my youth. I have, however, good there a fair amount since moving away. ?

Lots of very nice courses and a very temperate climate make it an awesome place to golf.

I've never lived there and have only played a handful of the courses but there is just so much to like about Utah golf. The state is visually stunning and the golf vistas are often memorable even on many lesser tracks. Great golf climate most of the year. Rarely rains. When the beautiful mountain courses get snow packed you will often still have decent weather in the valleys and desert. Elevation and course conditions lend themselves to ego boosting distances. Low costs for what you get.

I'd gladly play any of those 5 UT courses regularly if I could. The most recent one, Dye's Canyon Course, was beyond stunning and immaculate . It's just outside of Park City but I believe it's private. An old friend, a member, invited me to stop when I took a road trip out to visit my daughter in Boise a couple years ago. It's a tough penal Pete Dye layout and there is supposedly a very strong Nicklaus layout that's part of his membership. Playing that one next trip out.

The other 4 were awhile ago so I can't really vouch for them now but we were very very impressed by them back then. 2 were near Layton. Valley View and the base course at Hill AFB. The other two were in Wasatch State Park maybe an hour and a half south of SLC? So different both beautiful challenging and cheap. Lake course was relatively level but gorgeous mountain vistas all around. Mountain course was aptly named. You literally worked your way miles up the mountain before u turn to play back down hill to finish up round. Was fun beer bets deliberately hitting putts feet past hole hoping they'd find hole on way back to you,

My favorite here is definitely Sand Hollow

Sand-Hollow-Resort-13th-hole.jpg

Utah is a great place to play golf. The high desert air makes you feel like you are longer than you are. I was again reminded of this while in San Diego the past several days. According to Arccos, I am averaging over 280 yards with my driver. In San Diego, I hit some drives that were over 270, but good drivers were averaging 255 to 260.

There are many great courses. In Southern Utah, San Hollow may be the premium public course, but there are others, such as Sky Mountain, Green Springs, Sunbrook and the list goes on. One of the premier country clubs is Estrada, a course I have never played.

In northern Utah, there are public courses everywhere at a great value. The premier private courses/country clubs include several in the Park City area, such as Glenwild, Victory Ranch, Red Ledges, and Promontory C. (Two separate course). The Country Club in Salt Lake City is a very exclusive club and a great track. Willow Creek and Oakridge have hosted minor tour events over the years. Good public courses include Thanksgiving Point, Wasatch, Bountiful Ridge, and Valley View.

If anyone would like to know more, ask away.

Echoing what @Tenputt has said there are a lot of great courses both public and private. I had mentioned a few in the Morgan Cup thread but what it really comes down to is what time of year the Morgan Cup will be played. It can not be stated enough that if the Morgan Cup is being played in the late spring or summer you need to wipe any course in Southern Utah off your list (which would include what seems to be the popular option right now, Sand Hollow). Knowing a lot of people haven't come to Utah and don't know about the climate, for comparison think Arizona weather in the summer (110-115 degree DRY heat). I believe Sand Hollow or Entrada would be a great option though if you are looking at any time during the fall or early winter.

If you are looking at anytime during the summer I would definitely suggest Jeremy Ranch or Park City GC. Also a good option would be Soldier Hollow or Promontory. The perks of playing these courses is that since it is during the summer the hotel rates will be lower. Park City is also just an awesome town (think Coeur D'Alene) which still has a lot of the Olympic parks open, and great dining and bars as well is only 30 minutes from Salt Lake.

If you're looking more at Salt Lake proper, like tenputt said the Salt Lake country club is from what I heard very good. Public tracks you would definitely look at Valley View and Bountiful Ridge...the entire course is built on the mountain so be prepared to land on the right side of a fairway but your ball will roll all the way to the left rough....beautiful scenery though. My home course Davis Park is also a beauty...if they ever get their ponds figured out.

Overall, Utah is an amazing place for golf. I fully believe it will not disappoint...Also the elevation change always makes you feel like a superhero on the teebox.

Weird. While we have no dates decided currently, seeing the average in May around 85 high and low 20 degrees cooler doesn’t seem all that bad at all for the southern side.

I cannot stress enough though, that no course or location has been decided.

Back