A friend just came back from a Utah golf trip and gave me the rundown on 6 courses. For those recommending Actual courses and not locations, I urge you to check out what the Morgan Cup is and where it has been played and other THP Events. Some of the mentioned in the different threads might be good/solid for a weekend golf trip, but aren’t right from a course or facilities stand point for the event that asks.

Want to be a Tour Player?

Weird. While we have no dates decided currently, seeing the average in May around 85 high and low 20 degrees cooler doesn’t seem all that bad at all for the southern side.

I cannot stress enough though, that no course or location has been decided.

The high will be daytime high. and the low will only be 20mins before dawn. A major aspect of desert life is the sandstone Rock holding in heat. I'm sure a course like, Sand Hollow, in 85 degree full desert sun will feel very hot to those not accustom to the desert weather. 85-90 in Sedona is cooking from those rocks and elevation (4500ft). Plus later in the month of May there will be real chance of a 100+ day.

Weird. While we have no dates decided currently, seeing the average in May around 85 high and low 20 degrees cooler doesn’t seem all that bad at all for the southern side.

May you would probably still be okay...June through August would be rough.

The high will be daytime high. and the low will only be 20mins before dawn. A major aspect of desert life is the sandstone Rock holding in heat. I'm sure a course like, Sand Hollow, in 85 degree full desert sun will feel very hot to those not accustom to the desert weather. 85-90 in Sedona is cooking from those rocks and elevation (4500ft). Plus later in the month of May there will be real chance of a 100+ day.

Again i cant stress enough that no course or dates have been selected, but all I can think of is “its a dry heat”. Which is the laughable excuse AZ residents share when its 110 out. I’m kidding of course :ROFLMAO:

85 in the desert has been done so many times at THP Events both AZ and Vegas as well as other crazy hot locations. I’m good with 85 honestly. Would I rather cooler? Sure. But the good news is wherever we host this, there will be people that like the location and dont. That like the weather and dont. That like the equipment and dont.

In the end, the Morgan Cup is too good to worry about the small stuff.

I agree, JB. Southern Utah is still ok in May and bearable into June. July and August, I stay away from there.

April and October are the perfect months for St. George golf, imo. Of course, I understand the Morgan Cup would not be played in October.

A friend just came back from a Utah golf trip and gave me the rundown on 6 courses. For those recommending Actual courses and not locations, I urge you to check out what the Morgan Cup is and where it has been played and other THP Events. Some of the mentioned in the different threads might be good/solid for a weekend golf trip, but aren’t right from a course or facilities stand point for the event that asks.

Want to be a Tour Player?
For this very reason, I think the hands down best option is a world class course in Park City.

Again i cant stress enough that no course or dates have been selected,
I understand that. Just giving some knowledge.

but all I can think of is “its a dry heat”. Which is the laughable excuse AZ residents share when its 110 out. I’m kidding of course :ROFLMAO:

"So is your oven." is the proper AZ resident response when someone says that to us.

In the end, the Morgan Cup is too good to worry about the small stuff.

Exactly. We're just all excited for the announcement so will play internet cowboy until the great day you reveal the details!

For this very reason, I think the hands down best option is a world class course in Park City.

There is little doubt that the courses that could most likely replicate a tour event are in the Park City area. When I have identified courses in Utah, I was not at all suggesting that they would be a place to host the Morgan Cup. I think Sand Hollow could, as could Entrada (from what I have hear, having never played it). In Northern Utah, there are more options.

Exactly. We're just all excited for the announcement so will play internet cowboy until the great day you reveal the details!

Thats half the fun, right?

Thats half the fun, right?
having not attended a THP event.....I'll agree. When the day comes that I get a nod......no way will the internet speculation live up to it.

having not attended a THP event.....I'll agree. When the day comes that I get a nod......no way will the internet speculation live up to it.

Ya gotta signup to get a shot, right?
Lots of goodness coming in 2020 though.
Our new Experiences are going to be can’t miss.

Ya gotta signup to get a shot, right?
Lots of goodness coming in 2020 though.
Our new Experiences are going to be can’t miss.

I'll be signing my infinite handy cap up as often as I can. This guy will be bringing all the pops to the yard.

I'll be signing my infinite handy cap up as often as I can. This guy will be bringing all the pops to the yard.

Or a THP Event gives you motivation to be the best golfer you can be :D

Excited that Utah is a potential location for a future event. I've had lots of fun in Utah for decades. Never golfed there. Park City area would be a blast if a venue and the spring to summer transition timing is a fit.

Or a THP Event gives you motivation to be the best golfer you can be :D
It doesn't take a THP event for that. I've been trying to improve since I signed up on this fine forum. It's a work in progress. :ROFLMAO:

My old college roommate lives in Salt Lake City. I need to get out to visit him, esp for some golf. We used to play quite a bit back in the day. Then he let that whole PHD thing sidetrack his game. How dare he.

5 day, 20 man, group trip to Mesquite in October 2017. We ventured over to Sand Hollow for one day. There's a couple of holes on the back 9 with gorgeous views. Chilly temperatures in the morning and perfect conditions in the afternoon.

St. George is the place to be early or late in the year. Entrada could be a good candidate, I love Sand Hollow is my favorite course not named The Hideaway and would be a great candidate but it is a public course and the facilities might not have enough.

In the summer it is too hot down south and I think a private club up Park City way would be the only other option for an event like this.

Utah golf is ok. ECC06D43-63E3-4889-A6AF-E81D56A2BC81.jpeg

Being a resident and a golfaholic I can give you some idea of public courses (no idea about the private ones). My top five in Salt Lake City area.
1. Eagle Mountain
2. South Mountain
3. Soldier Hollow
4. Talons Cove
5. Mnt Dell

Being a resident and a golfaholic I can give you some idea of public courses (no idea about the private ones). My top five in Salt Lake City area.
1. Eagle Mountain
2. South Mountain
3. Soldier Hollow
4. Talons Cove
5. Mnt Dell

Exciting times. THP Event coming to Utah.

Best course in Utah and maybe the whole western US- Victory Ranch. Its sooo good! We have some pretty amazing mountain and desert courses here. IMG_8755.jpeg

Back