Utilities: Love them or leave them?

I have never tried a utility, but would love to give this one a try. Just need to find one that is longer than standard at least 1".

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk
Most companies will definitely be able to handle that.

I know, just want to get the swing back over the next month or so before I step out there. Wish they had demos other than standard, understand why they don't but wish they did.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

I put a Gapr Lo in the bag a month or two ago and I love it. It took over the spot in my bag usually reserved for a 5w or 3i. If I need to find the fairway off the tee and need something in the 240 to 250 range, it is my go to club and I feel like I have more control and consistency with it than my 5w. It certainly is a flatter and lower ball flight. The only thing I feel like I am sacrificing is I don't hit it as high off the deck and it does not land as softly on the greens as the 5, but I can still hold the green.

i love my hybrids. they are do it all clubs. i can tee off with them, punch out from trouble and let'er rip on par 5's. great clubs and very forgiving, even for a crappy golfer like me

Tried the Gapper Lo and Mid , along with Titleist TMB never felt comfortable using them

It's one of those clubs that just has never appealed to me. I love a hybrid, purely because my striking of longer irons has always been poor and I just think that this would be a wasted slot in the bag for me. Perhaps off the tee I could use it, but not sure it would do anything for me that a hybrid wouldn't.

This is something I am thinking about at the moment. I have a strongish 5 iron at 23* (original cobra king forged tec) then a old M2 #3 hybrid which I do not like. I am thinking of a #3 Titleist U510 as a replacement. Mainly for that second shot on par 5's or off the tee on certain holes at our course. 5 iron is my go to at the moment on par 5's.

LOVE THEM!! Well this one in particular anyways....

55A3F03B-45E0-4D07-9147-0E77147C2B19.jpeg

Love them , just ordered this

1595947794462.png

I recently put a Ping G410 4 Crossover in the bag.
it is straight off the tee. I get 200, and that fits a nice gap in the bag. It’s a fairway finder for sure. Still trying to learn to hit it off the deck.
I do like it

I love to hit utility irons off the tee, but haven't found one that works for me off the deck. That's probably as much on my lack of practice with one as anything, but for that reason I choose to leave them. I can do most if not all with a hybrid that I'd be able to do with a utility iron and I'll have more confidence standing over the ball to boot.

X forged UT has gone back in the bag in the ever revolving 200 - 220 yard spot

Hybrids for me since the original TM Rescue Mid. Never was a big long iron fan.
The utility irons have more MOI, but I want a little more shot height than a long iron provides in that area of the bag.
I have a couple Cleveland 588MT iron heads that make nice long irons and have a driving iron like quality about them with more shot height.

I want to set up some hybrids with the same length and approx lie angle as their corresponding irons and the same shafts as well. My main complaint with utilities and hybrids are the playing lengths are often longer than the long irons replaced, which kinda makes them harder to hit , despite the more forgiving heads.

Left them, so far; I've never hit one, though. If my 20* hybrid doesn't straighten itself out soon, I may be looking.

I'm rocking the 17*, 19*, and 22* of the cbx iron woods. A whole lot of fun so far! I have a feeling that the 19 and 22 will be in the bag for quite some time. So far they have been straighter in terms of ball flight, and more consistent than my battles with FWs and hybrids. I'm a lot more confident with these off of the tee as well. That said, these cbx's are pretty forgiving, and I didn't have the same success with some other utilities that shade towards better players.

i like hitting them, but i don't have the speed to properly elevate an iron or iron type club that has less than 24 ish degrees of loft to it. Hybrids or fairway woods are the ticket for me there

Love em but can’t hit em consistently enough to replace the hybrid.

I've only tried a couple and they are not forgiving for me and I don't hit them high enough.

Love them. I have a 20* that shares bag time with a conventional 20* hybrid, and I use it far more than I thought I would. My first UI was an MP-18 MMC FliHi. It was the best feeling club I ever hit when I found the center of the face, but the penalty for mishits could be severe. I recently swapped it out for a Maltby KE4 FDI, and I'm liking the much more generous sweet spot.

Last edited:
i was playing mine for a few holes here and there the other day...it's the only "long" iron i seem to be able to hit with relative consistency

I consider the Speedzone 4 Iron a utility. REALLY easy to hit. It convinced me to get a whole set of SZ irons. I know the 4 is not marketed as a UT but you should at least give it a shot.

leave them for me. i need as much weight low and deep as i can get because i need launch and spin

Love them , just ordered this

View attachment 8955357

Did not need to see this 🤤

I was just telling myself I need to commit to a hybrid a stop mixing it up on the daily. 🤫

Love them or Leave them... both. Love to put them in play, but I leave them because I tend to benefit more from a hybrid. Now, off the to the Tour Edge website..

I have a loving relationship with my Wilson Staff 3 fybrid. I love the wider head, doesnt look like a peanut, and promotes confidence at address. I see no reason to change, I get my 225 out of it consistently off the tee and approach.

Not looking for anything else, would love to get a few backups. One of the staples of my bag.

A utility/driving iron has been a staple of my bag for the majority of the time I’ve been playing golf.

I think I had one short trial with a hybrid over a driving iron and it left me wanting to go back to an iron.

Back