Utility Iron Crew - What is your favorite?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
For all you crazies out there like me, what's your favorite UT iron out there right now? What about it makes it so good for you?

• Staff
Oh come on y'all, don't let me down now. :LOL:;)

Never tried any but the Srixons. I have 4 of the U85s in the bag. They are just too good.

Only play a Speedzone 4i, but definitely interested to see what people say as I'm pondering a dedicated Utility.

I went with the Srixon Z U85. Looks, sounds, performance is all very impressive. Now I just need to pair it up with a shaft that works for me.

X Forged UT

Fast, feels great, looks decent over the ball, ... matches my other stuff? :LOL:

It's really good off tee and turf at a couple courses here. Real good.

Really haven't tried enough to give a good comparison.
The x forged UT I've got in right now I like a lot, but do want to try something with less loft.

Don’t laugh. I have a Ben Hogan Radial (circa 1983) 2 iron I use. Haven’t found anything yet to knock it out.

Another shout for the Srixon ZU85 - between it and my driver, my 3W has become the least used club in my bag

It is in the 2i 18° loft and is my go to club off the tee when driver is not the play

I can't do anything with a utility iron. Just low launching short knuckleballs LOL. That said I played with a guy 2 weeks ago that had a Titleist U510 1 iron and he used on nearly every hole off the tee. He was hitting 250-270 super high and strait. Never seen someone carry a utility iron so dang high, especially a 16* utility iron.

I’ve got a GAPR Lo 18* that I swap out with my hybrid depending on how I’m feeling. I’m pretty consistent with it off the tee and deck.

I've talked about it before - I love my Taylormade GAPR Lo 3. IT goes straight, I'm confident with it (as long as my swing is working), and goes a long way - sometimes too far.

Both the Srixon ZX Utility and Callaway Apex UT are really good. I am not sure I can pick a favorite. I have one of each, but in different lofts, so I have not played them in identical lofts to compare. I just know each is pretty fun on its own merits.

Still gaming my P790 UT 2I and can't find anything that performs better. Not only performance, it looks better to me than anything out there in profile and overall.

It's in the top 3 most fun clubs to hit both tee and turf. Full confidence in it and expect a good result when I pull it.

X Forged UT - Feel is amazing. Ball flight amazing. Great off the tee and the fairway. Happens to look like the X Forged CBs I am currently playing.:)

Titleist U500. I have it in a 4i head, but with a Graphite Design AD UT 3 iron shaft in it. So it plays a little longer than my regular 4 iron, but more importantly I hit it much more consistently, straighter and higher than the reg 4i. I use it in the slot between my 5i and 20 degree hybrid. I can not believe how much more accurate I am with it since I put it in the bag about a month back. And it's a true players-style design, not a bulky-looking GI iron. Thin topline, smaller overall blade, yet plenty of forgiveness in my opinion. I was worried it might be too much club for me and my aging body, but the results show, it definitely is not. I love it. In over a month of play, I don't think I have hit one single poor shot with it so far. Hopefully that will continue.

X Forged UT

Fast, feels great, looks decent over the ball, ... matches my other stuff? :LOL:

It's really good off tee and turf at a couple courses here. Real good.
Allllll this 🔥(y)🔥

I've found success on the shorter are 4s with the G425. Leaving a full shot in has been much better for my game than a half shot.

I don't hit it very well off the turf unless it's sitting up so that's the only downside to it.

I’m a big fan of the XForged. I had a UDI before that but haven’t tried many others.

It’s great off the tee and has worked pretty well for me off the deck.

I've got an older Ping #4 Crossover that I use off the tee on 2 holes at the course I play. I don't hit the ball long anymore, but I can squeeze 165/170 yds. out of it. It is also good off the fairway on windy days.

Back