VA Composites SLAY Shaft Review

Good stuff.
What length you playing it ?

I play my driver a tick over 44” so usually that seems to firm it up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 inches - controlling it well in the Epic 10.5 at -1/D setting.

Played 18 with the Slay 55 reg flex, tipped .75" yesterday and was very pleased. More of a boring trajectory compared to the T800 (maybe due to being tipped); dispersion was very good for me. With the T800 I felt like once in a while if my swing got a little loose, I paid more of a price with errant shots (hence my going back to the Hzrdus Red)--the Slay behaved more like the Hzrdus Red for me, but felt smoother than the Red.

Played 18 with the Slay 55 reg flex, tipped .75" yesterday and was very pleased. More of a boring trajectory compared to the T800 (maybe due to being tipped); dispersion was very good for me. With the T800 I felt like once in a while if my swing got a little loose, I paid more of a price with errant shots (hence my going back to the Hzrdus Red)--the Slay behaved more like the Hzrdus Red for me, but felt smoother than the Red.

Yes, if you tip it .75 inches in a low to mid 90's speed, I would think you would pull down trajectory. I always go about tipping or not tipping in small steps. In the late '90's, I tipped a Ping TiSi too much, and it was rebar. Lesson learned.

Just as you did, I take tipping in small doses to tighten dispersion or make flight a bit more ideal. I will also tip less to get a fairway a bit more up in the air without affecting dispersion. Don't like to do it, but it can help when used judiciously. You can always tip more if you leave room at the butt for length. Good luck with it.

So I have measured the torque on 3 Slay shafts all 55S and the they are pretty different. The highest being over 7. They are listed at 3.8. While there are tons of different measuring methods, I find that rather interesting.

04608d30b4d8948974f58d492db2c777.jpg

c81c5c784b3c0a5e8aa4c987ed9b8f8d.jpg

92388c801a5b14a952d7c713f4121052.jpg

I went for a driver fitting where they used Trackman, and this was the shaft that was recommended along with a Callaway Rogue. It definitely had the best feel, distance, and dispersion was great. Sadly that driver was going to cost me $1150 and I could justify it then because although it was better than my Ping G, it wasn't $1150 better.

Now that I am actively searching to get new clubs, this will be on the list for sure.

Torque reading on the Slay 55 S. 2nd batch is all around this, which is good to see for consistency.

bb43da53143505d473c6d148ef5536ca.jpg

At least this shaft is consistent with the measurement done above in this thread. Neither of which are what the specs say though.
Obviously measurement tools can differ as there is no medium. In our case, we test every shaft that comes in.

Eek! Is that down to manufacturing tolerances? I don’t understand what you mean when you say there are tons of different measuring methods? Is there a thread on torque and measuring? I feel the need to educate myself now.

Eek! Is that down to manufacturing tolerances? I don’t understand what you mean when you say there are tons of different measuring methods? Is there a thread on torque and measuring? I feel the need to educate myself now.

Probably, if not you can create one.
For the sake of this, there are a number of different measuring devices and in my opinion torque is more about feel than anything else. On our Auditor machine, these range from 4.5 to 4.8 torque. Speaking to VA Shafts today, he says Cool Clubs measure his at 3.8, which is the listed spec.

Probably, if not you can create one.
For the sake of this, there are a number of different measuring devices and in my opinion torque is more about feel than anything else. On our Auditor machine, these range from 4.5 to 4.8 torque. Speaking to VA Shafts today, he says Cool Clubs measure his at 3.8, which is the listed spec.

Thanks. Found a thread, along with a video created by your good self!

Measuring Shaft Torque Thread

Back