Vacation refund problems

milehighgolfer

Hacking at Altitude
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We were supposed to depart on our dream 13 day vacation next Saturday to Ireland. The trip was booked through TripMasters who until this Covid crap hit had a good rep. However now they are refusing to give me a cash refund as demanded and insist a voucher for future travel is all they can do. Every email is filled with lies and placing the blame on the airlines and hotels. I contacted AA today and they issued a full refund back to their account when the flight was cancelled as they were required to by law. They are not at fault. All the hotels and rental car agency have a full refund policy stated in the documents that TripMasters themselves provided to me. I am through trying to get satisfaction from them and the BBB and my credit card company are the next stop. Obviously they are trying to keep all the funds collected as future business to remain solvent in the short term but are screwing themselves for any future business. Does any of the lawyers on THP do work in MD? That is where the are headquartered and I might need to legal action against them. Numerous others are posting the same complaints and a class-action case would be possible if someone was willing. On a good note, the one hotel I booked through Hotels.com did refund my money to me even though it was a non-refundable room. I have never had a bad experience booking with them.

What are your stories/rants??

I wouldn’t call it a huge problem yet, but the wait is what is getting me. We had a June cruise for nine people cancelled and had a choice between refund and future credit. I was outvoted and we asked for a future credit and we have been waiting a month for it to show up. I just want to make sure it is all correct because I was the trip coordinator and it is a lot of money that people trusted me with.

they say that if we decide to cancel the future credit, it will take 45-60 days to process my refund. But when I paid, it took 15 minutes to process. We have until December to can cancel the future credit that we haven’t received.

Had a trip cancelled that I knew was non-refundable and non-transferable. Airline still gave me a credit for future flight. Top notch service right there!

Hotels, car rental, and even tee times were all refunded without question.

I was taking my wife to Italy last week, and despite being told a voucher was all I could expect, a full refund arrived after a lot of arguing.

Persevere.

I was flying KLM to the Morgan Cup, and they are still refusing me a refund, and offering vouchers instead which I believe is still unlawful but they are refusing to budge. Have put a dispute in with my credit card to try and get it back. I know that the event is being rescheduled and I'd be able to use a voucher for the new flights, but at the end of the day I'm still paying interest on that £700 and is better in my account than theirs! I appreciate that this will cause the airlines a lot of trouble with a mass hemorrhaging of cash, but it my mind it's really not my job to be bailing out the airlines!

We got a refund on a cruise we had scheduled and got future credit for 2 flights we cancelled with Southwest. I don't care about getting the future credit on the airline as I know I will use it. As for the cruise, I am never going on a cruise again so a credit would do no good.

We were supposed to be in St Lucia last month, but Sandals were easy to work with to sort it all out - a couple of emails between myself and a Sandals rep and we had our holiday rescheduled to next year with the current room rate honoured, so no extra cost
The only additional cost has come from the airline with the new flights, but that wasn't all that much more than we had paid so I am not bothered about that

My elderly parents have a crazy story. They were set to go to Italy for 10 days through Amex travel. Been a card member for nearly 50 years. Lockdown took place. Amex first said they needed a Dr note, so they got it. Then they said they could only reschedule, to which they said "how do we know when this will end and be allowable". Now 5 weeks of going back and forth, they still have no refund and can't every time they call they get some awful call center that has no idea what they are speaking of.

I wouldn’t call it a huge problem yet, but the wait is what is getting me. We had a June cruise for nine people cancelled and had a choice between refund and future credit. I was outvoted and we asked for a future credit and we have been waiting a month for it to show up. I just want to make sure it is all correct because I was the trip coordinator and it is a lot of money that people trusted me with.

they say that if we decide to cancel the future credit, it will take 45-60 days to process my refund. But when I paid, it took 15 minutes to process. We have until December to can cancel the future credit that we haven’t received.
That sounds remarkably like an email subscription... seconds to join and the messages hit your inbox in minutes... but unsubscribing takes months.

We got a refund on a cruise we had scheduled and got future credit for 2 flights we cancelled with Southwest. I don't care about getting the future credit on the airline as I know I will use it. As for the cruise, I am never going on a cruise again so a credit would do no good.
Never going on a cruise again? Is it because of close quarters Covid chance of infection?

We were suppose to be going to Cancun this week. We rescheduled with no problem. Airlines usually do not give cash refunds but did give us credit for up to 2 years

My favorite so far has been do told no penalties and then being dinged with a cancellation fee....

Never going on a cruise again? Is it because of close quarters Covid chance of infection?
We have been married for 15 years and never booked one. Neither of us were super excited by them, but we thought it might be a fun way to spend some time with the kids as they enter their teenage years. After all the problems the industry has had and just the thought associated with massive amounts of people sharing space it has just pushed me from "I might enjoy going on one every 10 years or so" to "Why even bother with one". Basically there was only a minor appeal to start with for me and now there is none.

I will mildly shout out Carnival. They first said we had to use a credit so I took that, then the next day after my phone call they decided to cancel cruises for a month and offer refunds. I called them back and they gave us our money back instead of the credit and they also refunded our trip insurance cost as well.

We canceled our trip to Mexico and March and received a voucher valid through the end of the year (just have to book by then, not travel by then). Delta fully refunded our a la carte seat upgrades back onto our credit card.

We have a trip to Paris booked for July. Not looking good, but if we cancel we'll get a voucher that's good for 2 years according to the rep I spoke to a few weeks ago.

My son is kinda in a similar situation, not nearly that amount of money as posted here. He was scheduled to go to spring break to Fort Lauderdale just as things started looking bad with about 10 of his fraternity brothers. Thankfully, he listened to us and I am sure his friends with their parents and cancelled their trip. They got back the room in refund, but all plane tickets were just vouchers.

My trip to Bandon was an easy refund. Even American airlines came through with a refund in quick order.

I've started to take out travel insurance (and I always use bhtp.com). It's really cheap and they don't mess around when it comes to reimbursing you.

My father-in-law spent 8 days in a hospital in Valencia, Spain and had a stent put in. Zero out of pocket and BHTP covered the whole thing.

But they are also great for compensating you for canceled travel, late airlines, lost luggage and the whole gamut.

I have a 12 day cruise booked for February of 2021 to the Panama Canal with NCL.
I've making deposits monthly so 90 days out and the final bill is due, It's not such a shock.
In March, I made a payment which was my last.
Earlier this month, when I heard that NCL might be having issues, I called my rep and told him to send back all the money I deposited except what is necessary to keep the cruise booked.
Figured money in my hands was better than money in theirs.
So far I've gotten 2 deposits back and more coming this week.
So they have made good on it so far.

BTW -my rep at NCL is telling me that people are booking cruises for 2021 at a good pace.
Picking up Bargains.

Man, after reading all these stories I feel lucky instead of cheated. I had a trip with my wife scheduled for Paris late March. After 4 hour waits on the customer service lines, we finally got through and got the airfare back but not the hotel. Back on the 4 hour wait and finally got them to reimburse the hotel. The only part we never got back was the trip insurance we bought. I feel lucky to have gotten most everything back.

I paid for my 7th grade daughter's class trip to Canada. Just heard last week that I'm getting 71% back minus a $200 deposit. I think that it total BS and I'm not happy about it but I don't see any recourse so I am just rolling with it.

We booked a cruise that was supposed to be sailing this week with Disney a while back. Instead of going directly through Disney Cruise Lines again, we decided to go through an agent that specifically does Disney cruises. We got 125% back and were able to schedule two cruises for the same price. The only thing that didn't transfer over were port fees and taxes. Those were reimbursed back to the same card we used to book the trip within three days. I will say, Disney has been great about all of this.

We had to cancel my 50th bday trip to Disneyland in March & they gave us full refund, but our air fare through Allegiant was for vouchers only from the date of purchase. We are hoping that they will extend the date since they were bought in Sept last year & can't go until next year.

We (10 of us) were supposed to go on a greek island cruise in November. Well we cancelled that. After a lot, and I do mean a
Lot of e mail, calls, etc to Vacations To Go we finally got an answer, you will get tour money back from Royal Caribbean! WTF I paid you!
Royal Carribean said it could take between 45-90 days.
I paid you right away.... I want the interest in my money that you were holding this entire time.
it really sucks how they hold your money hostage!

My July N Ireland trip was cancelled this morning. The T&Cs said no refund but we were able to negotiate a credit for next summer. I’m completely fine with it since either way, the money is spent so just delay it.
The flights will be credited back, so no big deal there.
I’d read the terms you agreed to, there’s a good chance this is vaguely expressed. But I’m not a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were supposed to depart on our dream 13 day vacation next Saturday to Ireland. The trip was booked through TripMasters who until this Covid crap hit had a good rep. However now they are refusing to give me a cash refund as demanded and insist a voucher for future travel is all they can do. Every email is filled with lies and placing the blame on the airlines and hotels. I contacted AA today and they issued a full refund back to their account when the flight was cancelled as they were required to by law. They are not at fault. All the hotels and rental car agency have a full refund policy stated in the documents that TripMasters themselves provided to me. I am through trying to get satisfaction from them and the BBB and my credit card company are the next stop. Obviously they are trying to keep all the funds collected as future business to remain solvent in the short term but are screwing themselves for any future business. Does any of the lawyers on THP do work in MD? That is where the are headquartered and I might need to legal action against them. Numerous others are posting the same complaints and a class-action case would be possible if someone was willing. On a good note, the one hotel I booked through Hotels.com did refund my money to me even though it was a non-refundable room. I have never had a bad experience booking with them.

What are your stories/rants??
That sucks! Hope it works out and you get your refund soon....

Back