Valero Texas Open Thread (Spoilers)

Congrats to Ben Curtis. Whooping 106 points for the week, but still jumped back up a ways. Wish I could have watched a bit of this one, I like Ben.
Very good score for this week duey, I racked up 60 points with 30 coming on one day from 2 guys. I too like Ben.

Great info staticline! I only got to watch a little bit of this tourney and when I did have it on, I did not hear anything about the difficulty you were describing. Interesting thoughts though from your perspective.

I managed to scrape out 120 points this week thanks to Tringale, Kuchar, Hoffman, and Jacobson. Made up some ground in the second segment.

I guess the best golfers in the world think Texas is overrated or something. This tournament blew a fat one. I watched maybe between a commercial break or two. I like busting Texas' balls. You guys think they're all big and stuff. Congrats on hosting absolute snoozers. It'll be nice when the Tour decides to get in the great state of NC at Quail Hollow. Now that's a tournament.

It's crazy but almost every year this tournament brings in the most donation money, yet it gets no love from the PGA tour. They constantly move it around, they moved it to a course that tons of pros hate. They loved it when it was at the resort course at La Cantera, and it was a stop known for going low. Then the build this TPC course and make it extremely tough.

Unfortunately, the average golfing fan wants to see a bunch of birdies and eagle tries. If they don't see this, they may think, "The Guys Are NOT Good". But, I believe the responsibility of that mindset really falls onto the announcers. Kostis/Feherty/Faldo/Miller, etc need to do a better job of making the viewer understand what is happening on the course and why. Instead, they, at times, seem to put the idea in the fans head that every golfer sucks except for Tiger, Phil, Luke, Rory,Lee, etc.

It was a fun weekend 75-85 both days with light winds. I gave up playing in a Sunday event to go down and watch this and I don't regret it one bit.

I agree with this sentiment, kind of. Most of my non-diehard golf buddies dont want to see "no namers" struggle to break par, they want to see them in a shoot out. I dont leave the responsibility to keep viewers hooked on the announcers, but more on the tourney officials. Most non-hardcore golf fans or general sports fans wont stick around the telecast long enough to hear the announcers talk much if they see very average scores from players theyve never heard of before.

Sweet little write up static.

Sweet little write up static.

Thanks. Not bad for a Texan, writing about a Texan tournament and Texan course, while following a Texan golfer. We're just humble golf fans looking for some shade, a light breeze and an ice cold mug. :angel:

We just need to get some Texan announcers to liven up the on-air coverage now!

Thanks. Not bad for a Texan, writing about a Texan tournament and Texan course, while following a Texan golfer. We're just humble golf fans looking for some shade, a light breeze and an ice cold mug. :angel:

We just need to get some Texan announcers to liven up the on-air coverage now!

Agreed! The world simply needs more Texas in it. Imagine how cheap gas would be if a Texan were in control.

I like giving the Texans a hard time. It's mostly a cheap attempt to engage Kmac into some threads and some banter. I also enjoy getting Nate fired up. He's a fiesty Texan. You don't do write ups like a Texan either. That was well written and wonderfully composed. You must have been educated elsewhere.

Fun write-up staticline. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with this sentiment, kind of. Most of my non-diehard golf buddies dont want to see "no namers" struggle to break par, they want to see them in a shoot out. I dont leave the responsibility to keep viewers hooked on the announcers, but more on the tourney officials. Most non-hardcore golf fans or general sports fans wont stick around the telecast long enough to hear the announcers talk much if they see very average scores from players theyve never heard of before.

Maybe the tour needs to market the tournament differently. I'm thinking they really push the difficulty part of it in their ads, like the tour/USGA do for the US Open. For the US Open, all of us know "the beatdown" is coming. And, for one week, we relish it and take sadistic joy in seeing the pros get "humanized". Valero and the PGATour should use that same marketing for this event so the the average fan is ready for it, expected it, and wanting to see it. I wouldn't show ads of players teeing off, hitting from the fairway or making a birdie putt. I would show ads of heads peeking over bunker lips, chips coming back to the players feet and punch outs from next to mesquite and cacti.
BenCurtisMesquite.jpg

Agreed! The world simply needs more Texas in it. Imagine how cheap gas would be if a Texan were in control.

I like giving the Texans a hard time. It's mostly a cheap attempt to engage Kmac into some threads and some banter. I also enjoy getting Nate fired up. He's a fiesty Texan. You don't do write ups like a Texan either. That was well written and wonderfully composed. You must have been educated elsewhere.

LOL! You are correct, sir. Like the bumper sticker says, "I wasn't born here. But, I got here as fast as I could".

Texas is the only state where people walk around wearing tshirts that have the state flag and,or the state outline on them. It's also the only state where I've seen bumber stickers that read "Native Texan". Where are the "Native North Carolinan" stickers?

LOL! You are correct, sir. Like the bumper sticker says, "I wasn't born here. But, I got here as fast as I could".

Texas is the only state where people walk around wearing tshirts that have the state flag and,or the state outline on them. It's also the only state where I've seen bumber stickers that read "Native Texan". Where are the "Native North Carolinan" stickers?

Our state pride blows in comparison. We have stickers that say "somewhere in Texas a village is missing an idiot". I'm not joking either. But what we do have is a PGA Tour stop that brings the A-listers.

I actually agree with your post about advertising this event as a real tough one. That would create a positive kind of buzz for sure.

Nice write up static, thanks for sharing that.

I didn't really get the chance to catch as much of this tourney as I would have liked. Truth be told, the lack of Euros put a downer on it for me. :D

Nice write up static, thanks for sharing that.

I didn't really get the chance to catch as much of this tourney as I would have liked. Truth be told, the lack of Euros put a downer on it for me. :D

It probably doesn't help that the Euro's think our beer tastes like water.

I was wondering what kind of welcome Curtis was getting at the European events, being an Open Champion. Now that he has full status back on the PGATour, I doubt ya'll will see him much over there, again, for the next 2 years, even though his Open win gives him full Euro status thru 2013, I think.

Our state pride blows in comparison. We have stickers that say "somewhere in Texas a village is missing an idiot". I'm not joking either. But what we do have is a PGA Tour stop that brings the A-listers.

I actually agree with your post about advertising this event as a real tough one. That would create a positive kind of buzz for sure.
See I think it needs to go back to its roots as a go low event. With it's spot on the schedule it needs something to draw the bigs. I also think they need to redo most of the green complexes, most of the pros hate them.

See I think it needs to go back to its roots as a go low event. With it's spot on the schedule it needs something to draw the bigs. I also think they need to redo most of the green complexes, most of the pros hate them.

I did hear the Norman was going to redo a couple of greens so that they would have a couple more different pin position options. I can't remember what holes.

I did hear the Norman was going to redo a couple of greens so that they would have a couple more different pin position options. I can't remember what holes.

I believe 4 of the greens are going to be rebuilt for next year. 1 and 10 for sure, forgot the other two.

I don't think this tournament will ever be a real low scoring event while played at this course. It's just tough. I enjoyed it (though I live in SA), and am excited next year it's the week before the Masters.

72 big points for me this week. Went from 2nd to T5 for this segment and up two spots to T20 overall (in the group). Helps that 122 was the best this week in this group.

I believe 4 of the greens are going to be rebuilt for next year. 1 and 10 for sure, forgot the other two.

I don't think this tournament will ever be a real low scoring event while played at this course. It's just tough. I enjoyed it (though I live in SA), and am excited next year it's the week before the Masters.[/QUOTE].

That will make it interesting. I hope the shave the sides and roll the fw's & greens like the SHO did for it's pre-Masters draw. If they do that, I think it will draw some bigger names.

It probably doesn't help that the Euro's think our beer tastes like water.

I was wondering what kind of welcome Curtis was getting at the European events, being an Open Champion. Now that he has full status back on the PGATour, I doubt ya'll will see him much over there, again, for the next 2 years, even though his Open win gives him full Euro status thru 2013, I think.

Don't let our fussiness fool ya, we'll drink anything when it comes down to it. :D

To be honest, Curtis wasn't a draw at Euro tour events. He kinda played it out in the background unfortunately. Couldn't blame him for going back to the PGA, as he doesn't seem to have had too much success over our way other than the Open.

Back