Valero Texas Open Thread (Spoilers)

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
628x471.jpg

The PGA Tour is back in the Lone Star State this week in San Antonio for the Valero Texas Open. In last year's event, Brendan Steele beat Charley Hoffman and Kevin Chappell by one shot for his first PGA Tour win. However, last year's tournament is probably best remembered for Kevin Na making a 16 on a par 4! Na had some fun with it, as earlier this week he took a chainsaw to the tree that caused him all of the trouble last year. The picture above was too good not to post!

Lots of the big names are taking this week off, so this is a good week for an up-and-coming player to make a splash like Steele did last year. For those playing fantasy golf, it's also a good week to go off the radar to make some of your picks.

TV Times:
Thu, 4/19:
GOLF 3p - 6p ET
Fri, 4/20:
GOLF 3p - 6p ET
Sat, 4/21:
CBS 3p - 6p ET
Sun, 4/22:
CBS 3p - 6p ET

Fun coincidental fact: All four of my starters are some-sort of asian.

I am looking forward to this event.

Cool pic of Na. Wonder how long it took him to cut down the tree?

i wonder how the schedule change is going to effect the SHO . now that its two weeks before the masters and the valero is now the week before the masters.

I might have to dig deep and pick David Duval this week. He's an up and comer, right?

i wonder how the schedule change is going to effect the SHO . now that its two weeks before the masters and the valero is now the week before the masters.

Where did you see this? I haven't heard of this happening, unless the Transitions Championship goes away after this year and they move the schedule around a little bit.

I'm hoping it strengthens the field for the VTO!

On the other hand, I think the SHO might suffer a bit strength of field wise.. I think I read next year the SHO will also end on Easter Sunday, which would further hurt viewers and attendance.

Interesting, but it's good that it's just a one-year thing. It was silly that this tournament was the week after the Masters last year, that week should be Hilton Head like this year and every other year. Houston will be back to its normal position on the schedule in 2014, and I'm sure that Houston will still get a good field. The pros like the course in Houston better than this week's course anyways.

Looks like the weakest field of the year, other than Puerto Rico, which was parallel to a WGC event.

Dark horses unite!

Tough to pick a team for this one! Some interesting names in the list this week, ones that I haven't seen for a while!

I'm almost tempted to start Kevin Na. I wonder if he gets revenge this year.

Watching Morning Drive and wondering WTF was Ricky thinking with that look. Doesnt he have people to help him with that? If so, they should be fired.

Also, why isn't he playing this week? With this weak field he might actually be a favorite to get his first win.

Do the pros hate this course that bad? If so, then move it somewhere better. I think Valero just renewed their sponsorship but if the top 30 avoid this tourney every year who will care about it?

Ha, no way I can pick Na. I think that dude is a head case even though he has been playing decent as of late.

I actually had a much easier time setting my roster this week. Need to make up some ground in segment 2!

Definitely playing some guys who will never get another start this year. There will be some big swings this week as people will not be playing all the same players like the past few weeks. Gotta get lucky this week.

Only 5 A-listers to pick from this week?

Looks like they are off and running this morning. Weather is good in south TX it appears but winds are going to hit tomorrow and Saturday in the 15-20 range.

My starters for the week:

Holmes
Jacobson
Hoffman
Tringale

Starters:

Kuch
Jacobson
De Jonge
Wagner

Bench:
Na
Hoffman
Steele
Tringale

Starting: Na, Kim, Streelman. Appleby

Bench: Choi, Leonard, Jacobsen, Lovemark

I think Na could surprise. But, I didn't pick him this week. Take away is 16 last year and he's pretty highly positioned for the weekend.

Starting:
JB Holmes
Jacobson
Castro (Dark Horse Winner)
Jobe

Bench
Kuchar
H Haas
Hoffman
Boooooooo

Back