Valhalla - PGA Championship?

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello,

I live about an hour from Louisville, KY and am thinking about going to the tournament to see either a Thursday or Friday round. For anyone who has been there, what is the terrain like at Valhalla? A lot of hills or mostly flat? Any good holes you can recommend to sit and watch golfers play through?

I'm military retired, but I missed out on the free Veteran tickets so I will probably try to buy one off Stubhub, etc.

Anyone else headed to a Thursday or Friday round?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

@xThor is a good source but he’s a bit busy at a event.

@xThor should be able to help you out in about 20-30 minutes

I have been fortunate to play Valhalla twice. It was years ago so I don't remember everything about it, except I can tell you it is certainly not flat! There is also a stream or small river that cuts through the course that adds to walkability issues. There is one hole where the stream goes around the green and forms like an island around the putting surface. That would be a good hole to sit and watch.

If you stray too far from the entrance, you’re going to have pretty good uphill climb coming home. Not the easiest walking venue I’ve been to.

Hilly, and going to be wet and soft. PGA tour radio is already counting out Tiger due to the terrain…

thats just their polite way of saying washed up
Animated GIF

Hello,

I live about an hour from Louisville, KY and am thinking about going to the tournament to see either a Thursday or Friday round. For anyone who has been there, what is the terrain like at Valhalla? A lot of hills or mostly flat? Any good holes you can recommend to sit and watch golfers play through?

I'm military retired, but I missed out on the free Veteran tickets so I will probably try to buy one off Stubhub, etc.

Anyone else headed to a Thursday or Friday round?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
It is definitely hilly in some parts if you plan to walk the entire course. You'll walk down and back up a decent incline when entering/exiting. There are some flat areas to catch a few holes in different places as well tho. They usually do a pretty good job of providing seating around most of the holes if you just wanna grab a seat somewhere in a grandstand or you can bring small chairs if you wanna find a spot and sit.

You can catch the 13th green, 14th hole and 15th tee is a decent spot, You can see 13th tee & 18 up near the clubhouse. You can watch approaches on #7 green and the Par 3 8th. If you're lucky to get a good spot you can see #10 approaches, Par 3 11th and #12 tee shots. Probably a few others I'm forgetting.

If you have a choice, Thursday weather looks better than Friday but it's gonna be wet from the rain we've already got so plan accordingly if you don't want a pair of shoes getting messed up.

It is definitely hilly in some parts if you plan to walk the entire course. You'll walk down and back up a decent incline when entering/exiting. There are some flat areas to catch a few holes in different places as well tho. They usually do a pretty good job of providing seating around most of the holes if you just wanna grab a seat somewhere in a grandstand or you can bring small chairs if you wanna find a spot and sit.

You can catch the 13th green, 14th hole and 15th tee is a decent spot, You can see 13th tee & 18 up near the clubhouse. You can watch approaches on #7 green and the Par 3 8th. If you're lucky to get a good spot you can see #10 approaches, Par 3 11th and #12 tee shots. Probably a few others I'm forgetting.

If you have a choice, Thursday weather looks better than Friday but it's gonna be wet from the rain we've already got so plan accordingly if you don't want a pair of shoes getting messed up.
Thanks for sharing the information. I plan on getting there bright and early tomorrow.

I will say parking at the Kentucky Exposition Center is bad for people like me that are coming from the west ion I64. I have to drive 20 miles past Valhalla then ride a bus 20 miles back. Then do the same at the end of the day :(:mad:

Thanks for sharing the information. I plan on getting there bright and early tomorrow.

I will say parking at the Kentucky Exposition Center is bad for people like me that are coming from the west ion I64. I have to drive 20 miles past Valhalla then ride a bus 20 miles back. Then do the same at the end of the day :(:mad:
Yeah the parking situation stinks but they just don't have the space for parking out there in the area. I will be dropping my Son of at school at 6:30AM for football which is literally 2 minutes down the street from the course and then do the same as you and head to catch a bus. I'm thinking about catching an Uber tho from the school since they can drop you off but I'm sure that 2 minute drive wont be cheap Lol

Been to every event they've hosted except the Ryder Cup (same weekend my daughter was born). It's definitely hilly. The course goes up and down the banks of a creek. As wet as it is I would recommend wearing golf shoes to hike around if you come. Hole 14 I think is a great par 3 and above that green you can see them play that hole, finish 13, and tee off on 15. Also under the canopy so it's shaded (might not matter this week).

Been to every event they've hosted except the Ryder Cup (same weekend my daughter was born). It's definitely hilly. The course goes up and down the banks of a creek. As wet as it is I would recommend wearing golf shoes to hike around if you come. Hole 14 I think is a great par 3 and above that green you can see them play that hole, finish 13, and tee off on 15. Also under the canopy so it's shaded (might not matter this week).
Good info to know. Thanks!

Yeah the parking situation stinks but they just don't have the space for parking out there in the area. I will be dropping my Son of at school at 6:30AM for football which is literally 2 minutes down the street from the course and then do the same as you and head to catch a bus. I'm thinking about catching an Uber tho from the school since they can drop you off but I'm sure that 2 minute drive wont be cheap Lol
I was thinking something similar like parking in a large parking like like a Kroger's etc.....& getting an Uber. But agree the price will probably be high

@KY Golfer Thanks for the suggestions on which holes where good to watch. I watched early groups (TIger, Schauffele, Rory, Finau, Brooks, Jordan) on 13 for a few hours & then went to 7 and watched them come through in the afternoon. I also saw Schauffele get that Eagle on #1 and sadly saw Ricky miss two short puts on #1.

Overall it was a good day, the one negative was the PGA app didn't work so good. The course map wouldn't update and it drained my phone battery.

Back