Van Halen Fans - DLR or Sammy?

David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?

• Diamond Dave

• Sammy

• I liked them both equally

• I want to be different! Gary Cherone was the man!

Results are only viewable after voting.

BigMac

#LLTG!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just like the title says - which frontman was the best for Van Halen / which era produced the best music?

For the sake of all members here I will pretend this question was never asked. :ROFLMAO:

Dave, and it's not really close.
Sammy is a better singer, no doubt about it. But Dave has the personality and stage presence. One of the all time great front men.

I've gotta vote Dave but I think both were completely different very good bands. There is just something about the early years of VH that is just classic.

I don't dislike Sammy, and some of his VH songs are good (Dreams comes to mind), but the stone cold classics are all Dave. Has to be Diamond Dave.

Saw them with Sammy in Milwaukee. It was a fantastic show!

3rd row seats in front of Eddie. It was awesome

I was never a big VH fan, but would definitely have to go with DLR.

I voted Sammy because I honestly could not tell you either way. Was never much a Van Halen fan..

DLR all the way. I like Sammy but when it comes VH you got to go with DLR.

DLR and not even close. Didn’t care for Van Hagar

DLR songs had a bigger impact on my young life and will always remember where I was and what I was doing when each particular song comes on. But I probably enjoyed Sammys songs a little more. Hard to pick a winner cause they both impacted my music life positively.

It's Van Halen. It's DLR.

DLR for sure.

When I hear Sammy I still think of Crystal Pepsi.

DLR for sure but I like a lot of the VH songs with Sammy.

I voted both - I'm a huge VH fan, and like all their music (even a few songs off VH III with Gary Cherone). Like @Nate, the DLR songs had a bigger impact on my young life, and still bring back a lot of memories of my youth. I saw them twice in concert with Dave - first one being the 1978 World Tour, when they were the opening band for Black Sabbath.

Dave was dynamic and had a great vocal range, but was a complete ass in live shows. He was always hammered, forgot the words to the songs, never sang them like they sounded on the album, wandered off and did monologues in the middle of songs - the show was all about him and his antics. Sammy was much better live, he was less of a showman and more of an actual musician, part of the group rather than trying to hog all the limelight like Dave did - if you wanted to hear VH do VH songs that actually sounded like VH songs, Sammy wins hands down, and it ain't even close. He also added another dimension to the band with his guitar playing, even though he can't hold a candle to Eddie guitar-wise.

In the studio/on albums, I liked both of them equally. There were a lot of great songs from both eras and they're both still heavily in my listening rotation. In live performances, I'd take Sammy every time.

Although I became interested in VH with DLR, I sheepishly admit that I was more of a Van Hagar fan.

Isn’t that the dude that lighted the menorah 🕎?

I heard it once in an Adam Sandler song.

I like both. I view them almost as separate bands that are both really good/great. I think Sammy was better longevity but DLR had the higher peak.

Both.
I loved the original VH, even though I thought DLR was a bit of an egotistical ass. The music they put out was incredible though, most of their really iconic tunes were from that era.

I was a SH fan all the way back to Montrose, and saw him live many times before he joined VH. When I heard he had joined VH I thought it was great, such a good voice, and a second guitar. Definitely a different band, but still great, just in a different way.

Sammy Hagar is a much better lead singer than Diamond Dave. Dave got the better songs, but that is just a product of bands using most of their creative juices in the early years.

Sammy was ok in Montrose but, DLR in VH.

I like them both, but DLR gets the edge....
"I don't feel tardy"

I remember Sammy with Montross which only means I’m old.

Back