Vanity Set Of Irons

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Any mid to high handicappers out there own a set of irons that are over their head just because they like them? I am in lust with Titleist 718 CB irons because they are gorgeous and I really want a set. They probably would not be my gamers although I could see the scoring clubs getting into my bag from time to time, but I really just love the look of them. Anyone else got a set of blades or fully forged shallow CB's around just because they're beautiful?

I think you could say that about any set of clubs in my bag. 😢

I’ve seen some pretty irons, but never really thought about putting a set in my bag though.

Yeah, I've got a set of blades around here. I tell myself they are only for club/ball testing and comparisons but I know that isn't true.

I've played clubs that are a little above my pay grade but nothing crazy and I don't tend to keep a spare set of irons around, outside of my Grandaddy set. Right now I'm really tempted but the Hogan ICONS though.

I’ve got a set of MB’s that fit that classifier, going to TRY to sell the heads soon though.

I gamed Cobra King Pro irons all of last year. While there were some very good ball striking days there were many more that were not. Even as a single digit I struggled way more than my liking with them.

Depending upon your ball striking and the difficulty of the courses you play, you may not see that much scoring difference as long as the shafts are a reasonable fit for you and nothing crazy.

If you are playing difficult courses with very penal results for missing short (water hazard, difficult bunkers, etc...) the impact would be greater.

718 CB 6-PW should not be that bad to hit. 4 and 5 irons for mid-high caps are probably not ideal for most.

Best of luck if you decide to go for it. You can probably find something like a 712 CB for not much money.

As long as you do your job you will be rewarded with good results, you won't have unexpectedly long shots from spring effect, etc... but if you don't do your job you will be punished, potentially severely based off just how bad of a strike it is.

Dave

Look at my signature... definitely

The Hogan Icons have caught my eye but in reality I know I couldn’t do them justice but they sure are beauties

Based on looks alone I’d play the King Forged Tec, Apex Black edition of i500’s.
Unfortunately my ball striking does not fit their bill so it’s chunky irons for me.

I got a set of Mizuno MP-20 blades for this season. I'm 10~ handicap, so I would say these are above my current skill level.

I have to say though, I've hit some absolutely amazing approach shots with these things in the 3 rounds I've had them in the bag. I could just be swinging well right now but I'm pleasantly surprised by the results thus far.

I only have my gamer set of Ben Hogan Edge irons.
I would love to purchase a set of National Custom Works blades which are for someone with abilities way better than mine! They are so gorgeous but I can’t justify the expense.

Depending upon your ball striking and the difficulty of the courses you play, you may not see that much scoring difference as long as the shafts are a reasonable fit for you and nothing crazy.

If you are playing difficult courses with very penal results for missing short (water hazard, difficult bunkers, etc...) the impact would be greater.

718 CB 6-PW should not be that bad to hit. 4 and 5 irons for mid-high caps are probably not ideal for most.

Best of luck if you decide to go for it. You can probably find something like a 712 CB for not much money.

As long as you do your job you will be rewarded with good results, you won't have unexpectedly long shots from spring effect, etc... but if you don't do your job you will be punished, potentially severely based off just how bad of a strike it is.

Dave
There is a set on eBay with KBS tour 90 regular flex that has my eye. I could do that shaft for sure 😂.

Does it count if I haven't bought them yet? If so, then I lust after the P7TW's but can't afford to pull the trigger and even if I did, don't think I could really game them even if I could afford them. I was able to hit the 6i at a demo/CC open house and it was sooooooooo good.

I am a mid-handicapper under the delusion that I am going to drop my handicap. :D I prefer players irons and muscle-back blades to GI or SGI irons. I hit them well and tend to see more consistency in distance and spin and better dispersion. I can however struggle with longer irons in those categories. A mixed set is so nice.

I love the MP-20 MB, the JPX919 Tour, and Apex MB. From PW to 7i or 6i, I would play any of those. I also have a big crush on the Ping Blueprints. They look amazing. Haven't hit them, so not sure.

There is a set on eBay with KBS tour 90 regular flex that has my eye. I could do that shaft for sure 😂.

I suspect I swing slower than you and even for me KBS tour 90 regular is whippy! I'm not picky about shafts, but do not like that one.

Dave

I'm playing irons near my skill level in Ping i200. My next set of irons will be Ping G425 (or whatever they are called) or Mizuno JPX new release in the fall. I'm not going to make the game harder than it needs to be. I have grown into my set now, but looking back I should have went G then. My handicap has came down due to course management and better short game/driving. Iron play hasn't changed much other than not getting the fliers I used to get. With that being said, the Titleist CB is my favorite looking iron of all time

Mizuno MP-20's and MP-5's

Beauty Respected and adored :mizuno:

Ask me again once all this pandemic business is over and I trip into a set of Hogan Icons.

I've got some Mizuno Jpx 919 Yours, love the clubs and was fitted into them tbf, but no question my 19 handicap would appreciate something a splash more forgiving from time to time...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have a set of these that are humbling but when I strike them it is fantastic. Skill wise there is no reason for me to own them but they come out from time to time!! Screenshot_20200329-143031_Chrome.jpg

I ended up with a set of older Ben Hogan Apex irons that I'd love to clean up and throw better shafts in to see if I can make them work, maybe a nice set of the Xcaliber's to make them a little easier to hit.

Back