Vanity Set Of Irons

I got a set of Mizuno MP-20 blades for this season. I'm 10~ handicap, so I would say these are above my current skill level.

I have to say though, I've hit some absolutely amazing approach shots with these things in the 3 rounds I've had them in the bag. I could just be swinging well right now but I'm pleasantly surprised by the results thus far.

Me too, I played MP14's for years and still have my MP29's which I was gaming earlier this year...actually got my first hole in one with them on a slightly toed 6 iron back during the holidays..... but when the MP20's were released they were so damn beautiful and seemed like a natural modern day evolution of the MP14's & 29's. So, I pulled the trigger and have absolutely loved them. The distance control with these things are outstanding. I'm constantly hole high. For whatever reason, I'm actually a better ball striker with blades than game improvement cavity backs. The thin top line, the thin sole, and smaller head just work for me. I hit blades pure a much higher percent of the time than I do larger headed irons. I have an older set of JPX's as well Srixon 585's & 785's but really prefer the MP20's and even my older MP29's over them.

Last edited:
You could say that about my vintage set. My vintage set has persimmon woods and blades. The funny thing is, while I dont hit the blades as far as I do my modern CBs, I do hit them a lot straighter and am more accurate in terms of distance control.

Just got a set of 718 CB's in an eBay auction! I have been looking for a set I could actually play and I found a good condition set with XP95 shafts. Not thrilled with the Winn Dri-Tac grips, but I can change those. They should begin next week.

I would like the Titleist T stamp blades or the Mizuno copper blades to look at. But no, I don't have a vanity set.

These CMB’s I’m going to build are going to be my new vanity irons haha

My Cobra FTB's maybe. I know I gave up some forgiveness but they aren't MB/CB's.
If I was getting another set I might choose the most forgiving option but I won't change these clubs for awhile. I love them,

Me too, I played MP14's for years and still have my MP29's which I was gaming earlier this year...actually got my first hole in one with them on a slightly toed 6 iron back during the holidays..... but when the MP20's were released they were so damn beautiful and seemed like a natural modern day evolution of the MP14's & 29's. So, I pulled the trigger and have absolutely loved them. The distance control with these things are outstanding. I'm constantly hole high. For whatever reason, I'm actually a better ball striker with blades than game improvement cavity backs. The thin top line, the thin sole, and smaller head just work for me. I hit blades pure a much higher percent of the time than I do larger headed irons. I have an older set of JPX's as well Srixon 585's & 785's but really prefer the MP20's and even my older MP29's over them.
I have found similar results. For much game the minimal offset is the reason why I find the Vanity MB Blade better suited to my game.

As @Space Bandito can confirm. I am a Professional Hooker of the golf ball and the Blade MB with Minimal offset and 3 degrees flat bending of the Clubs make a huge difference.

I don't yet need the additional Distance a SGI or Cavity Backs provides. And I guess I am good enough of a ball striker to not notice any serious loss from the use of the MB.

I have gamed the MP-5's and now the MP-20's for the last 5 years and actually lowered my handicap to 9.9 during this time. :drinks:

So maybe they aren't necessarily Vanity Clubs. I have not yes found a Cavity Back or Hollow Bodied iron that fits me better.

FYI. I played X-16 and XR Pro's from Callaway. The KZG HB-516 HB-516, and Mizuno MP-20's HMB Hollow Bodied Blades.

But personally I think I have my best rounds with the MP-5'S and MP-20'S.

Better accuracy, Distance control and Dispersion. :drinks:

I've never gone from one set to another that resulted in better/worse scores. It's just time and experience that have improved my scores, and a good chunk of the experience was course management related.

So I don't think there is such a thing as playing irons over your head. If a set of irons sacrifice distance because of club head speed, just play from shorter tees so you aren't unnecessarily punishing yourself.

No.

Thought of a blade for 8-PW but why?

I like my Mizuno 919 Forged with a couple of Hot Metals in 4-5i.

These just showed up. I got them used for $380 and likely only the 9 & PW will find a permanent home in my bag. My mixed set will now have Z566/765/965 irons. I'm a sucker for pretty irons even if I'm not going to play them much. They will look good on display in the basement.

RQaCXdvfTt+CKmiJvF8Dvg.jpgzvnu5GaqRf6Jdu7WCILq7w.jpgWnwvSu%yTc6VNVXyCP4l3A.jpg

I've never gone from one set to another that resulted in better/worse scores. It's just time and experience that have improved my scores, and a good chunk of the experience was course management related.

So I don't think there is such a thing as playing irons over your head. If a set of irons sacrifice distance because of club head speed, just play from shorter tees so you aren't unnecessarily punishing yourself.
Or just hit a 6 iron versus a 9 iron. And yes that means that you will have to learn how to hit your long irons or replace them with Hybrids.

I used to play with four Hybrids starting at then 6, 5, 4, 3.

I found the Dispersion less than optimal. So we gradually start adding 6, 5 etc MP-5'S as my game improved.

My scores improved as my swing and confidence and Course management improved.

Now I included the 3 iron MP-5'S or MP-20's at the top. And now I have replaced my 5 Wood with a UDI 2 iron P790 from TaylorMade in the Bag.

The UDI adds a Stinger to my Arsenal. And the rest of the iron in the bag sit pretty and shiny under the sun. :drinks:

These just showed up. I got them used for $380 and likely only the 9 & PW will find a permanent home in my bag. My mixed set will now have Z566/765/965 irons. I'm a sucker for pretty irons even if I'm not going to play them much. They will look good on display in the basement.
I'd love to have a set of those Srixon MBs for my "vanity clubs". They're way over my head, but would be fun to take to the range and to shoot some casual practice rounds just for fun.

I've got an OLD set of Wilson's. Not exactly pretty, but super rustic.

I have had 7-pw in TMade Rac MBs and 7-pw in Nike VR TW blades that quickly got replaced with the CBs. I am not good enough to hit them.

I’ve got a set of MB’s that fit that classifier, going to TRY to sell the heads soon though.

I would have to say one of my favorite sets ver was a set of 690 MB's they were gorgeous

I have a set of Nike Victory Red TW blades with Project X Rifle 6.0 shafts in them. I’ve played two rounds with them and I’m seeing about 15 yards less from my ‘17 M2’s with a stock regular flex shaft. Yes, they are harder to hit, but when you do hit it clean they are very rewarding.

I just put together a vintage Mizuno set that is going to become my new vanity bag:
Mizuno MS-4 driver, Mizuno Silver Cup 3-wood and Mizuno MS-4 5-wood. All persimmon.
Mizuno Silver Cup 4, 6 and 8-iron
RK Mizuno Master Flag PW and Mizuno Sand Mite sand wedge
Mizuno 0606 putter
Id thought about trying to put together a vintage MacGregor Tommy Armour set and while the woods and putter would have been fairly cheap, the irons are stupid expensive and I wasnt really able to find wedges, so I figured why not go back to my old friend, Mizuno. 🤷‍♂️ Now I feel like I need to get one of those Mizuno rope hats, which would kind of be the same era as those clubs. :LOL:

Back