Vanity With Your Clubs?

I can play chrome, I just have an irrational hatred of the two or three holes at my home course where the glare off of my wedges blind me at certain times of day. It's dumb and only happens on one or two shots a round but grrr.
Hey, I totally get that - too many great options out there to settle on something that might irritate you.

I also didn't expect there to be a ton of difference, but I DEFINITELY didn't expect the CBX2 to have better accuracy.
ok. now make that a wedge from a set that is full cavity.....im talking fullllllll cavity. Whether it be callaway or some other brand that has a S wedge included potentially. Compare that to a blade with same loft/bounce and similar shaft specs. I think the finding might be pretty different.

Hey, I totally get that - too many great options out there to settle on something that might irritate you.

Sun be like.

ok. now make that a wedge from a set that is full cavity.....im talking fullllllll cavity. Whether it be callaway or some other brand that has a S wedge included potentially. Compare that to a blade with same loft/bounce and similar shaft specs. I think the finding might be pretty different.
Well sure, it's all about that perfect threshold between support and diminishing returns.

If you want to chase big forgiveness like that, here it is;

1607025363395.png

I will test things outside of my comfort zone but it takes me a lot to commit to something I find visually unappealing. I am not a harsh critic on looks, but there are times I hope something works because it looks good to me. Honestly, there have been times that I looked at something and hoped it didn’t work. The forged tec are an example of something I saw in pictures and at the shop and hoped (but doubted) that they would work for me. When I tried the Speedzone irons, I hoped they didn’t work better than the Forged Tec because I liked the look of the FT. Had the SZ gave me better numbers, they weren’t unappealing enough for me not to go with them, I just wanted the FT to work better. My current putter I don’t like the look of at all and I honestly spent months trying not to buy it but finally relented.

I agree with @Jman that there is likely something out there for me that works well and is also appealing to my eye, but I am not searching for a putter replacement yet but imagine someday I will find something that is a better combo in looks and performance.

As far as smaller looking better, that isn’t the case for me. A small blade intimidates me. The Forged Tec just looked “clean” to me; I am not sure if they were much smaller than the 2019 Big Bertha irons that I switched from, but I liked the look better.

follow up question...

How many in this thread have tried something other than a bladed wedge in that slot?
I played the Cleveland RTX 588 CBs for several years before I bought my MD5s (and PM Grind). I play the latter much better than the former. Definitely interested in trying the Mack Daddy CBs at some point, just haven't had a chance yet.

I played the Cleveland RTX 588 CBs for several years before I bought my MD5s (and PM Grind). I play the latter much better than the former. Definitely interested in trying the Mack Daddy CBs at some point, just haven't had a chance yet.
Nice! They are awesome. Thoroughly enjoyed them at the THP Tech Studio when we did a video on them.

That's "what the golfer thinks he'll see"

here's what the golfer actually sees:

View attachment 8977446
Hahaha these are both fair and correct. It looks like Callaway has the lofts I would be looking for where Cleveland does not. I guess we'll say ponder mode engaged. I do need new wedges for next year:unsure:

Hahaha these are both fair and correct. It looks like Callaway has the lofts I would be looking for where Cleveland does not. I guess we'll say ponder mode engaged. I do need new wedges for next year:unsure:
Glad that entertained hahaha! Absolutely worth the try.

Well sure, it's all about that perfect threshold between support and diminishing returns.

If you want to chase big forgiveness like that, here it is;

View attachment 8977445
well sure but forgiveness in relation to as good of performance or even better than the CBX2 or blade style? hmm. Not sure its there in this guy. but im also sure it helps people that could benefit from it!

My putter is 46" long............pretty sure conventional is thrown out the window when it comes to my game.

If I say I'm not influenced by how a club looks, then I'm lying.

I'm kind of simple in some things. Golf clubs are that way... sort of. The criteria I have is as follows:

Is it available in lefty?
Is it ugly?

That's it pretty much.

I typically gravitate towards perimeter weighted, cavity back clubs and find them the most appealing. I don't like anything that resembles my first set of clubs. Maxfli's they were. I never hit them well. Neither them or the persimmon driver and fairway woods that accompanied them. I've tried to remember how I got ahold of them originally but can't. I think someone gave them to me or sold them to me for cheap because they had upgraded but I don't remember playing with many other left handed players.

I replaced the Maxfli's with a set of EXP's and some titanium alloy metal woods (Shotgun Willie's!) Imitations of something else but I hit them better... and they were replaced with my Burner 2.0's and RBZ driver and fairways. Those 2.0's are reputed to be some of the more forgiving irons in their day. My game must really and truly suck because they don't help me at all.:cautious::cry::LOL::ROFLMAO: But whatever. Golf is hard and I suck at it. But for me, the vanity here is all my clubs are the same manufacturer. (This was before I learned it doesn't need to be that way). I tried matching the long clubs to the irons thinking that's what was best for me.

I realize ugly is a subjective term and my idea of ugly is different than everyone else's. Titleist T400's don't look ugly to me. I've never seen one in person but the photos I've seen here make them look pretty good. I'd proudly game them but I'm not spending the $$$ for them.

The TourEdge HL4 ironwoods... more ugly than not. I think I could overcome that though... from the pics I've seen anyway.

The Cleveland Launcher HB's... more ugly than the HL4's. I don't know if that's doable for me... again, only seen in pics.

A LAB putter. Nope. That's too far over my line in the sand. It could be the best thing in the world for my game performance wise. Not trying it at all.

TL;DR

Beauty is subjective.
I suck at golf.
My clubs reflect my vanity
Apparently I like shiny things:ROFLMAO:

In regards to your smaller club question, I firmly believe this is an ego thing that a lot of golfers struggle with in thinking the smaller the club the harder it is to hit the ball.

I can honestly say I hadnt until i just went and watched it over lunch. Certainly interesting data. I think the control of the two makes complete sense on full swing shots for a 56deg wedge. Id certainly love to see a similar comparison of say 46* wedges, one a blade and one from a set that is a pure cavity back. Not saying it would be any different but it would be interesting to see if there was indeed a massive difference. Id also love to see a similar comparison on greenside performance from the fairway. (since thats the only thing you can simulate in a sim session).

Id also add that I didnt think either wedge performed wildly different than the other in @Canadan demo. they were pretty much the same which is superb for the CBX2. But if im honest i didnt expect it to be wildly different. lol Cleveland makes a great product.

I mean they are pretty stark differences in products though right. Full cavity with MUCH larger sole compared to a muscle back. You mentioned better control with the muscle back as they got shorter, so figured that was the perfect scenario. Not much shorter than a 56* and more control was shown from the larger club. Why? I htink its because even in this scenario, where we have a stellar ball striker, we miss a bit even by mm, and that sole design and weight differential can lead to rather large areas of help.

@Canadan and I had no idea which way it was going to turn out.

That was kind of the nature of this thread. Outside of the comfort zone, removing all vanity, could it and would it help people. I think a vast amount of players might be able to see that from things being overlooked. At the end of the day, people should play what they want and brings enjoyment to them.

I mean they are pretty stark differences in products though right. Full cavity with MUCH larger sole compared to a muscle back. You mentioned better control with the muscle back as they got shorter, so figured that was the perfect scenario. Not much shorter than a 56* and more control was shown from the larger club. Why? I htink its because even in this scenario, where we have a stellar ball striker, we miss a bit even by mm, and that sole design and weight differential can lead to rather large areas of help.

That was kind of the nature of this thread. Outside of the comfort zone, removing all vanity, could it and would it help people. I think a vast amount of players might be able to see that from things being overlooked. At the end of the day, people should play what they want and brings enjoyment to them.
Totally agree on everything you said. I’m not sure it was a vast difference in performance for him. The CBX2 didn’t lack any which is indeed surprising.

Reactions: JB

Actually, I was wrong. I expected it to turn out that the CB had better results away from center at the cost of accuracy.

WRONG.

Previously, say the last 3-4 years yes I was a vanity golfer, then I realized I just need to play what works for me regardless and I think my tinkering has finally gotten me to a spot that I am willing to try anything, as long as it will perform better for me.

I am changing as I get older and fight keeping distance up with age I have moved on from being a very traditional only club player to one who is primarily looking for performance (and adjustability if possible). That being said if it comes down to two similarly performing clubs appearance may be the tie breaker. (Assuming both felt good in testing) There are so many fine choices out there that with research and feedback on this site and other places one can get high performance that still often looks good - albeit I am much more willing to try things I would not have considered five years ago.

Golf has come a long way in the aesthetics department for bigger more forgiving irons. I really enjoyed the Vapor Speed irons from 4-8 iron and paired them with the Vapor Pro Combs 9&PW. The P790s, ForgedTec, UHXs are all good looking clubs at address with a lot of tech built in. If someone can't find something that functions and looks good, they may just need to play a forged CB or MB and take their lumps when they mishit them a bit. But this is the internet and no one mishits a shot!

In the past it didn't matter which is probably how I ended up with a set of Cleveland VAS irons in the 1990s but now I take form into account as much as function but not in spite of it.

If I spent more time testing I may feel different but that has not been how I have picked my clubs in the past. When a much better golfer than I am @KY Golfer told me what irons he chose for the 2020 MC it opened my eyes because he took what irons were the best performing and not just what was good enough because that's what he wanted going into it.

I can honestly, 100% say that I would play the ugliest club in the world, if it would help me the most to achieve my playing/performance goals. I wouldn’t even think twice about it. I love equipment. I love to understand the tech behind it. I also love the beauty of certain equipment. However, at the end of the day, the equipment that I am playing is a tool to help me play the very best that I can. If I were convinced that the ugly performed best, it’s in my bag. End of discussion. I really mean this sincerely, too.

I used to be way more worried about the look of my clubs than I am anymore. Heck all you have to do is look at half the putters I've tried to notice that!

I still have to be able to tolerate what I'm looking down at but I'm way more open to trying different things out than I was even a couple years back.

I definitely like a thinner top line for my irons and smaller sized woods. Two years ago I had the Mizuno MP-4 irons in the bag, now I have the Mp-20s and it took a lot for me to pull the trigger on them just because of the thicker topline. They do perform better on mishits and go a little bit farther, but just having that thinner more rounded sight just makes more comfortable for some reason.

Its the same with the driver, I absolutely love the look of a deeper face than one spread out like a Titleist D2 or Ping Max or whatever. I will say with the driver, I dont have as many mishits like I do with the irons lol.

Back