Vegas Golf Poker Chip Game

Buster1

Reaction score
Handicap
9 GHIN
Anyone play this fun game with their regular foursome? How do you handle payouts? While I would never condone gambling on the course,;) I’m struggling with how to determine points and who buys the round at the 19th.

Recently, for simplicity, we just tally up chips and whoever has the most ‘negative’ chip total, pays up.

Thanks.

E15F3B77-F434-4A19-B8FB-A1519FAE6F69.jpeg

It's similar to "Animal Golf", which is a set of cards similar to the above - Snake is a 3-putt, Gorilla is OB, Frog is a water ball, Camel is a bunker, Chicken is leaving a putt short, Beaver is hitting a tree, Kitty for not hitting past the women's tees. The cards get passed around because if you hit into a bunker and earn the Camel card, for example, you keep it until the next guy hits into a bunker, at which point that card gets passed to them. Same for all the other cards, so they can change hands multiple times during the round.

The way we played them was that at the end of the round, you paid a dollar (or whatever) for each card you held, and others got their share of the pot according to how many cards they did (or didn't) hold. So if you had 3 cards at the end, another guy had 2 cards, one guy had one card and one guy had none, there would be $6 in the pot. The guy with 3 cards paid $3 and got nothing back, the guy with 2 cards paid $2 and got $1 back, the guy with 1 card paid $1 and got $2 back, and the guy with no cards paid nothing and got $3.

Since there was no birdie card in the deck, we played that if you got a birdie, you got to give one of your cards away (if you had any) to the person of your choosing. That required decision making, you'd want to get rid of the card that would be hardest to get back on an ensuing hole. For example, on my home course, all the water holes are on the front 9 - so if you ended up holding the Frog card on the back 9, it would be the first one you'd want to get rid of because there's no chance of anybody else earning that one (and thus taking it from you). If you give away the Camel (bunker) or Snake (3-putt) cards, you could conceivably earn those right back and still be stuck with the Frog card.

I never played with poker chips, but I have played it with cards but there weren’t as many. We just played that it was $5 per card into the pot at the end of the round for beers. We did it similar to snowman where a birdie you could ditch a card. It was also the last person to accomplish the dubious feat got the card. So if I 3 putt on first hole and player “a” 3-putts on hole 7, he takes the card. Then player “b“ 3 putts on 18, he gets the card and owes the pot. It isn’t that we all owed the pot, just whoever is holding the card in the end

Last edited:
I never played with poker chips, but I have played it with cards but there weren’t as many. We just played that it was $5 per card into the pot at the end of the round for beers. We did it similar to snowman where a birdie you could ditch a card. It was also the last person to accomplish the dubious feat got the card. So if I 3 putt on first hole and player a 3-putts on holes 7, he takes the card. Then player b then 3 putts on 18, he gets the card and owes the pot. It isn’t that we all owed the pot, just whoever is holding the card in the end
It really sucks to come into 18 with no cards, then hit into a bunker and 3-putt on 18! :mad:

We play it quite often. At the end of the round each player settles with each player. We count each chip as one dollar. If you end up with good chips then each player owes you a buck for each chip. If you have bad chips then you owe each player a buck for each chip. Because the good and bad chips end up canceling each other out, sometimes not a lot of money is traded. It’s a fun game once everyone learns the rules and the ribbing starts.

The chip holders usually put their money into a pot and we use it for beer after the round. Usually each chip is worth $5 but could be less if we have more types of chips in play.

Yeah that is like Animals, except we don't have chips; we just keep a running total and whoever has the last animal (we only play Gorillas for OB, Snakes for 3-putts, Fish for water and Camels for bunkers) pays all other players $1 for EACH instance of that animal that was made by anyone throughout the round.

For example, there may be 7 Fish made by the group over 18 holes, but whoever made the last Fish would owe every person in the group $7 each. Same goes for all the other animals and no one really gets hurt unless they hold 3 or more animals at the end of the round.

It sure can make for some crazy golf coming down the 18th!

It sounds like the only guys I play this with do kind of a combined version of what's mentioned here. Birdie let's you ditch one (I opt out on that), each instance adds to the total like @pattyboy21 was saying and gets paid to each player if you're holding it at the end. It makes it a little more fun on different courses I think. If it's one with a ton of bunkers/tight trees, or you cross a creek 12 times or greens no one is putting well on or something the totals can get interesting. The talk and general intensity really ramps up towards the end.

How funny - I bought a bag of what I assumed were poker chips at Goodwill for $3.99 (it was all taped up so I couldn't see them). Anyway, when I opened it up at home, it was a whole set of these golf poker chips like @Buster1 posted a pic of. I can't wait to break them out at our next Rack!

I’ve never played, and never heard of it until this thread. It looks like fun though. My only hesitation is that I hate keeping up with extra things on the course. I fear that I’d be the guy who would earn a positive chip or the chance to give away a negative chip and forget all about it.

Back