Very consistent, but data shows too "toey"

ROBDROBD

Reaction score
Handicap
OK swing coaches. I just hit 50 balls at Range with a WilsonFG17 8 iron. Great dispersion, great distance. I put a green sharpie line on each ball before I hit. Probably about only 5 of the shots felt "tingle", the pattern is very consistent, but about 1/2 inch too far toward toe.

Attachments

• toe hit.jpg
    toe hit.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 14
All the wear, and tear on my irons shows on the toe side of center of the club face. Maybe not as much as the picture above, but definitely not in the club face center. I hit pretty decent shots with my irons....most of the time.

For amateurs, when swinging a club, the only thing that matters is achieving a decent ball flight. A ball flight that is close to the intended target line, and that makes the next shot easier. This was told to me by one of the instructors at Harmon's school of golf. Figured he probably knew what he was talking about at the time.

That could be a lie angle problem as opposed to a swing problem if you are hutting the ball consistently. I would go see a fitter instead of changing my swing.

I had a similar issue, except I was hitting everything on the heel. I moved a bit farther away from the ball at address and it made a remarkable difference. Try moving a bit closer and see what happens.

My initial thought was lie angle. This is just the blade iron I use for practice once in a while. The set of Callaway that I game are built 2* upright. I'll take that 8 iron tomorrow and post the results. 😁

OK swing coaches. I just hit 50 balls at Range with a WilsonFG17 8 iron. Great dispersion, great distance. I put a green sharpie line on each ball before I hit. Probably about only 5 of the shots felt "tingle", the pattern is very consistent, but about 1/2 inch too far toward toe.
Are you especially tall or short? Using a standard length and lie demo club?
"Tingle" as in you striped those 5 shots?
Hitting off grass or astroturd?

Hitting off one of those mats that has three different types of fake grass. I'm 5'11", the fg17 8 iron is standard length and lie. The tingle shots were ones I felt in my hands. Not great strikes.

For amateurs, when swinging a club, the only thing that matters is achieving a decent ball flight. A ball flight that is close to the intended target line, ...
That's what my instructor told us and that's what I've been aiming for, practicing out in the back yard--plus the swing, from toes to shoulders and down to the wrists, and the ball strike, to feel right. Not even worrying about distance at this point.

I hit pretty good irons. Maybe I'm still getting enough of the face to produce decent shots. I shot the distance and was averaging 148 with a 42* tour blade 8 iron from almost 30 years ago. 😁

If it were me I would try moving just a smidge closer to the ball at address. When you set up to the ball I assume the club face is centred behind it? When I say a smidge, I mean 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch - just a fraction towards the heel.

The contact pattern shows consistency, so it's more likely a setup issue than a swing mechanics issue.

Hitting off one of those mats that has three different types of fake grass. I'm 5'11", the fg17 8 iron is standard length and lie. The tingle shots were ones I felt in my hands. Not great strikes.
Are these like vintage fg17's with original shafts from what year?
"Tingle." Creator of game improvement clubs!

Haha, yes. I actually have the set for sale on the forum. Circa 1983, Wilson Tour Blades, 3-pw, original tour stiff shafts and Chamois grips! 😁

I only use them once in a while to practice. They are the same length as my Cf16 Apex Irons.

Different shafts? Different lie angles? You'd be amazed at how a different shaft will affect how you react to it. However, after 50-shots, your athleticism will adjust your swing to the different shaft (as long as you weren't going back & forth). If the lie angle is wrong, you will react to a face that is open or closed and make adjustments. Just some things to consider...

Did you test & Does it happen with your gamers?

My initial thought was lie angle. This is just the blade iron I use for practice once in a while. The set of Callaway that I game are built 2* upright. I'll take that 8 iron tomorrow and post the results. 😁
Keep in mind that if you're comparing clubs, you may want to compare the Old School 8 with the Cally 9, or at least see if they're same length, loft & lie

Just did same test with gamers. My hits were actually LESS consistent, but more central. Gamers are 2* upright. I actually like the look and feel of the old Wilsons better. 😕

Back