Video Games Thread

Ugh... made the mistake of preordering anthem... fun enough gameplay, but the community has given up on it, so matchmaking is a chore. Waiting on the latest iteration of L4D to come out!

Ugh... made the mistake of preordering anthem... fun enough gameplay, but the community has given up on it, so matchmaking is a chore. Waiting on the latest iteration of L4D to come out!

I was cautiously watching anthem from afar and was sad to see it go down the way it has.

Borderlands 3 coming out soon though which should be a blast

I gave up on destiny 2 after they said all my historic gear is now obsolete. Loved raiding every night but once you got all of the armour sets and weapons there was nada to do

Had a really good group of guys that I met in the original Destiny game. We got to a point where there was a full Raid squad or two on at all times and you could easily hammer stuff out. By the end of Destiny 1, our numbers dwindled as people lost interest. D2 came out and a bunch of us picked it up. We beat the new raid a few times but realized it contained all of the stuff we didn't like about what the first Destiny became so the numbers completely dried out. I heard one of the expansions changed the game big time. But, after 3+ years of grinding on Destiny, I think I just lost all interest in it. Since then, we all still keep in touch, but there hasn't been a game that has gotten us all back together. Some of us played BO4 Blackout for a good while. But, all of a sudden, we all kind of got sick of it at the same time. Some of them are going through Borderlands The Handsome Collection in anticipation for the new installment. But, it isn't something that is interesting me. So, I haven't turned my Playstation on in over a month. And, honestly, I just don't see myself getting a new game. I have seriously lost interest. I may pick up Spiderman now that it has come down in price.

Had a really good group of guys that I met in the original Destiny game. We got to a point where there was a full Raid squad or two on at all times and you could easily hammer stuff out. By the end of Destiny 1, our numbers dwindled as people lost interest. D2 came out and a bunch of us picked it up. We beat the new raid a few times but realized it contained all of the stuff we didn't like about what the first Destiny became so the numbers completely dried out. I heard one of the expansions changed the game big time. But, after 3+ years of grinding on Destiny, I think I just lost all interest in it. Since then, we all still keep in touch, but there hasn't been a game that has gotten us all back together. Some of us played BO4 Blackout for a good while. But, all of a sudden, we all kind of got sick of it at the same time. Some of them are going through Borderlands The Handsome Collection in anticipation for the new installment. But, it isn't something that is interesting me. So, I haven't turned my Playstation on in over a month. And, honestly, I just don't see myself getting a new game. I have seriously lost interest. I may pick up Spiderman now that it has come down in price.

Nothing keeps a raid team together but raiding, and working together for weekly milestones and challenges. Loved D1 especially near the end of its life-cycle, D2 was a bit disappointing, but it did let me flick in and out of being on it full-time.
The Forsaken expansion was the big change but it needed to have that set-up so much earlier.

Nothing keeps a raid team together but raiding, and working together for weekly milestones and challenges. Loved D1 especially near the end of its life-cycle, D2 was a bit disappointing, but it did let me flick in and out of being on it full-time.
The Forsaken expansion was the big change but it needed to have that set-up so much earlier.

I think my favorite time was Vault of Glass. Crota was alright and it got to the point where we could just absolutely fly through it. House of Wolves was a let down for me initially. I wanted a new raid and didn't care much for the prison challenges initially. By the end, I enjoyed it. Then, when they released the Taken King, I was so pumped for the new raid and area to go to. But, I think the change they made to the leveling system was not my cup of tea. Didn't really like that raid either. I think it was more my fault though. The Vault of Glass was the first raid I have ever played in any game. I loved the mystery that surrounded it. Not knowing if there were more secrets to unlock. After months of exploring that area and realizing that there was no more to it, the newer raids didn't have that sense of adventure. It turned into just getting it done on all three of my characters to get it done. Then, the game felt too grindy. Having to do everything 3 times over got to be a chore. That's when I lost interest. It just wasn't fun for me anymore.

Now that Bungie has control over future Destiny titles, I am holding out hope that they will release the epic game that we all expected the first time around. I think Activision had too much control the first time around and you could see where things were removed or held back. When Destiny 3 comes out, I am hoping that it can reassemble our ranks. But, I think too much time has probably passed. People have moved, got married, had kids, new jobs, etc...

They need to make Destiny a subscription based game. 10 bucks a month, build an army at HQ, and make me content for every day that I log on.

Stop catering to the one and done gamers.

I'm not 100% sure what people think Destiny should be but is not.

A loot-based RPG will always be what it is. You do activities, you get gear that you've been coveting, they release expansions that makes that gear obsolete, and then you do it all over again for the new gear. That's what a loot-based RPG is and will always be. It was true of WoW, Destiny, Division 1 and Division 2, etc. The fun is in working with others to try to overcome obstacles, or the elation of finishing that ridiculous grind to get that piece of loot you wanted so bad. Fortunately for the slow times, there's also the PVP aspect to enjoy.

The big mistake they made with Destiny 2 (which they fixed in Forsaken), was they tried to tailor the game to the casual gamer, I suppose thinking that was going to massively expand the player base. All of the weapons were the same and had no random rolls. Everyone got loot whether you did the activity or not. Want that super-awesome weapon from the raid? Not to worry, you'll be given it. So, people ended up with no motivation to do activities or to grind, because everyone was going to have the same stuff. Fortunately, Bungie learned a very hard lesson that almost destroyed the game.

A loot-based RPG will always be what it is. You do activities, you get gear that you've been coveting, they release expansions that makes that gear obsolete, and then you do it all over again for the new gear. That's what a loot-based RPG is and will always be. It was true of WoW, Destiny, Division 1 and Division 2, etc. The fun is in working with others to try to overcome obstacles, or the elation of finishing that ridiculous grind to get that piece of loot you wanted so bad. Fortunately for the slow times, there's also the PVP aspect to enjoy.

The big mistake they made with Destiny 2 (which they fixed in Forsaken), was they tried to tailor the game to the casual gamer, I suppose thinking that was going to massively expand the player base. All of the weapons were the same and had no random rolls. Everyone got loot whether you did the activity or not. Want that super-awesome weapon from the raid? Not to worry, you'll be given it. So, people ended up with no motivation to do activities or to grind, because everyone was going to have the same stuff. Fortunately, Bungie learned a very hard lesson that almost destroyed the game.

they need two things.

1- Consistent content... no huge droughts.
2- Transmog... SO badly.

They need to make Destiny a subscription based game. 10 bucks a month, build an army at HQ, and make me content for every day that I log on.

Stop catering to the one and done gamers.

I haven't played WoW. Destiny was the first MMO game I played. And, by the sound of it, it wasn't really a typical MMO. Hopefully, removing Activision from the picture will result in some changes that cater to the players and not necessarily the profit margin first.

If folks are looking for something different in gaming, you may not be aware that NHL 19 leagues exist. I play in leaguegaming.com (LG), the largest league. It's a huge league and it's a ton of fun to get together with a group of guys each 12-week season and try to win the championship. It's quite the challenge to try to move up from the CHL to the AHL and then the NHL levels. There's some amazing players out there with skill you wouldn't believe.

If anyone's interested and has questions, let me know.

This^

Guaranteed drops. Just do the raid enough times and you are guaranteed to hit max. I know it sucked to be forever 29 back in the day. But, build up anticipation and make it exciting to play that mode. I really missed the random rolls. It was so cool to have a gun that no one else had that worked in particular situations. We bailed before Forsaken though. So, I am not sure what was added. I think they lost a huge chunk of their player base before they could fix the problem.

This^

Guaranteed drops. Just do the raid enough times and you are guaranteed to hit max. I know it sucked to be forever 29 back in the day. But, build up anticipation and make it exciting to play that mode. I really missed the random rolls. It was so cool to have a gun that no one else had that worked in particular situations. We bailed before Forsaken though. So, I am not sure what was added. I think they lost a huge chunk of their player base before they could fix the problem.

Guaranteed drops are gross, but sometimes needed. I ran the Last Wish raid 53 times and never got the rare drop (1k voices)... which also means I couldn't get the Rivensbane title which was super dumb.

I think my favorite time was Vault of Glass. Crota was alright and it got to the point where we could just absolutely fly through it. House of Wolves was a let down for me initially. I wanted a new raid and didn't care much for the prison challenges initially. By the end, I enjoyed it. Then, when they released the Taken King, I was so pumped for the new raid and area to go to. But, I think the change they made to the leveling system was not my cup of tea. Didn't really like that raid either. I think it was more my fault though. The Vault of Glass was the first raid I have ever played in any game. I loved the mystery that surrounded it. Not knowing if there were more secrets to unlock. After months of exploring that area and realizing that there was no more to it, the newer raids didn't have that sense of adventure. It turned into just getting it done on all three of my characters to get it done. Then, the game felt too grindy. Having to do everything 3 times over got to be a chore. That's when I lost interest. It just wasn't fun for me anymore.

Now that Bungie has control over future Destiny titles, I am holding out hope that they will release the epic game that we all expected the first time around. I think Activision had too much control the first time around and you could see where things were removed or held back. When Destiny 3 comes out, I am hoping that it can reassemble our ranks. But, I think too much time has probably passed. People have moved, got married, had kids, new jobs, etc...

Vault of Glass was such a good raid, even for taking people through it who have never seen raids before it was great. Crota was a slightly more difficult strike

Vault of Glass was such a good raid, even for taking people through it who have never seen raids before it was great. Crota was a slightly more difficult strike

Yeah, Crota was easy once you got the mechanics down. You could cheese through most of it which devalued it quite a bit. I always wanted to do it legit but everyone else was in a rush. The first area was fun and chaotic as a group. But, sending a hunter through who could just go invisible was faster apparently. The second area had some glitches in it. I swear guys spent more time trying to cheese that part than it would have taken to do legit. Some guys in our group didn't even know the real mechanics. The final area was fun. I was the only good sword bearer so I had a blast. But, it was pretty boring for everyone else. Could just use the titan bubbles and stand on the ledge.

If we're talking D1, Vault was for a long time my favorite purely for the nostalgia of being the first raid, but it definitely wasn't the most complete.
King's Fall was by far the most complete/challenging raid because you simply couldn't afford to have more than one person go down.
Wrath of the Machine was the most fun challenge raid (beating it 3 man on hard was an absolute blast).

For D2, I think Last Wish remains the best experience minus the final fight (ignoring the part where no one actually does it anymore). I think they went overkill on the number of eyes.
Leviathan gets a strong second however they went way too aggressive on mechanics.
All the others aren't really raids, more like raid lairs... And that's okay, as long as they kept pumping them out (which they didn't).

I still think the best thing they created in D2 was the dungeon. Shattered throne solo no deaths was the most fun challenge I've ever done.... And even doing it two man is just a great experience worth the time investment. I loved everything about it and was very disappointed to not see a second one in the latest content release.

If we're talking D1, Vault was for a long time my favorite purely for the nostalgia of being the first raid, but it definitely wasn't the most complete.
King's Fall was by far the most complete/challenging raid because you simply couldn't afford to have more than one person go down.
Wrath of the Machine was the most fun challenge raid (beating it 3 man on hard was an absolute blast).

For D2, I think Last Wish remains the best experience minus the final fight (ignoring the part where no one actually does it anymore). I think they went overkill on the number of eyes.
Leviathan gets a strong second however they went way too aggressive on mechanics.
All the others aren't really raids, more like raid lairs... And that's okay, as long as they kept pumping them out (which they didn't).

I still think the best thing they created in D2 was the dungeon. Shattered throne solo no deaths was the most fun challenge I've ever done.... And even doing it two man is just a great experience worth the time investment. I loved everything about it and was very disappointed to not see a second one in the latest content release.

Wrath of the Machine was good. I didn't care much for King's Fall. Not really sure why. It has been so long, I am having a hard time remembering all the mechanics. I didn't stick around in D2 long enough to get any experience on most of what you mentioned. Do you have a pretty steady group to play with, or do you have to use LFG?

I enjoyed the raid lairs, especially the first one spamming my hunter & orpheus rig seeing orbs everywhere

Wrath of the Machine was good. I didn't care much for King's Fall. Not really sure why. It has been so long, I am having a hard time remembering all the mechanics. I didn't stick around in D2 long enough to get any experience on most of what you mentioned. Do you have a pretty steady group to play with, or do you have to use LFG?

I haven't played in a few months with the content drought, but I have a steady group I play with, yeah. In the original game, I played with a lot of casual minds that made raiding pretty painful. Lots of wiping, not a lot of success. By the end of D1, I was doing speed runs and clearing all four raids within about 2.5-3 hours with minimal effort which was probably one of my favourite D1 experiences. Thrashing end game content.

LFG is surprisingly good though, and discord has made it super easy to accomplish, although it might be easier for someone like me with a ton of raid clears. They tend to be a bit aggressive on their asks (have raid banner, have 20 clears, max light, etc).

Wrath of the Machine was good. I didn't care much for King's Fall. Not really sure why. It has been so long, I am having a hard time remembering all the mechanics. I didn't stick around in D2 long enough to get any experience on most of what you mentioned. Do you have a pretty steady group to play with, or do you have to use LFG?.

With a bit of research, it's not too hard to find a good clan that's regularly doing new events and will welcome newcomers. I just joined a new one that I found strictly by reading through clan profiles and it has been excellent. Things to look for are clans that require the use of Discord. If they're not using Discord, they're likely not communicating, which probably means there's an "inner circle" group which coordinates things amongst themselves and the rest of the clan is just warm bodies. Additionally, stay away from clans with elitist requirements (Must have Petra's Run..etc. Those are not likely to be good environments)

I've also had plenty of success with LFG (well, with Bungie's "Find Fireteam" feature). Groups pop up fairly frequently that are newbie-friendly. In any case, I'd just explain "Hey, I admit I've never done this before, but I've watched a video and will follow instructions." If you do that, most groups are willing to give you a chance. And once you've got 1 or 2 clears under your belt, you can join the "KWTD (know what to do)" groups with confidence.

Any new games on the horizon? Some friends of mine are all about Borderlands, but I just am not interested.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Major changes to Destiny are incoming it sounds like. Going off of what a friend said, they are going free to play with an annual pass? Saw a brief video where Bungie was mentioning that their next major expansion in September is completely Activision free. They may win me back yet.

I just watched the trailer and I can't wait for this. I'm excited to see a solid single player game coming out. Hope it does well.
Still killing time with a bit of Division 2 and Astroneer.

If you haven't tried Astroneer, look it up. Great game.

The best Destiny content ever IMO was The Taken King. I don't think they've come close to it since. I don't remember how many times we did that raid before the next Xpack dropped. D2 was such a disappointment to me. Frustrating and a waste of time. I left it and never went back. I've been playing Elite Dangerous.

Back