Vintage clubs today.

Scott F

I Putter Around
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I’m curious to know. If you were given a new set of Persimmon woods, a set of blade irons, a vintage putter from the the mid 70’s, and a week to practice with them, how much worse do you think you’d score than you do with your current bag? For reference, tell us your current age too.

I would be awful because of the blades. My current 5 and 7 woods are Ping Eye 2 persimmon. They are my go to clubs now. But the unforgiving irons would send me straight sideways. The putter could be locked in with a weeks practice

Last edited:
I started out with a set exactly like that (I turn 59 this month, have been golfing for 35 years). I'm guessing I'd be at least 10 strokes worse just from the woods and irons. I could probably adapt to the putter and be halfway decent with it.

I’m curious to know. If you were given a new set of Persimmon woods, a set of blade irons, a vintage putter from the the mid 70’s, and a week to practice with them, how much worse do you think you’d score than you do with your current bag? For reference, tell us your current age too.

its funny you started this thread. I was in my dad's basement last week to help him move some stuff. Found his old Eye 2 persimmon woods, eye 2 irons, and I have his old Hogan blades. We talked about going out and playing 9 to see how I would do. It was a we, but he backed out because they aren't XXIO lol.

It's the blade irons that'd get me.

I bring out a set of laminated woods from time-to-time (1w, 3w and 5w) and they're fun to hit! Putter would be similar to the blades I play, but those irons... yikes. That's where my game would really suffer - anything longer than an 8i would be a real challenge for me to hit with consistency.

its funny you started this thread. I was in my dad's basement last week to help him move some stuff. Found his old Eye 2 persimmon woods, eye 2 irons, and I have his old Hogan blades. We talked about going out and playing 9 to see how I would do. It was a we, but he backed out because they aren't XXIO lol.
I'd love to get a set of Eye 2 woods! Guy I play with sometimes has an Eye 2 4w with a Graffalloy shaft and he hits that thing all the time on shots ranging from 120 yards up to around 180. It's amazing!

I could play with the woods and the putter but I would be absolutely helpless with the vintage blades.

I have been playing golf since the early 70s, so I have actually played the clubs described in the op.

Last edited:
I'd love to get a set of Eye 2 woods! Guy I play with sometimes has an Eye 2 4w with a Graffalloy shaft and he hits that thing all the time on shots ranging from 120 yards up to around 180. It's amazing!

when I was in HS, I used to sneak them out of my dads bag and throw them in mine for matches. Loved so much about them.

10 shots worse. long irons into greens would suck, but the shorter clubs off the tee would keep big scores off the card.

It wouldn't be that much worse, I can play blades to an extent but anything that's persimmon I would really struggle with to hit halfway decently. I could probably play 5-10 strokes worse golf if I could get the irons distances sorted.

I actually want to buy a set of blades and really see if I can put up or shut up.

I'd sell those things on eBay as vintage, new old stock:ROFLMAO: or wrap them around trees.

Give me 460cc's, carbon fiber, graphite, and forgiveness!!!

Worse. A lot worse.

Pretty much the same equipment i used in the 80's (persimmon, blades, bullseye) so i have a lot of history playing with them. I have played a few rounds with them in the past 3-4 years and i scored pretty much the same as i do with my more modern set; so my answer is given a week to practice i don't think i would score worse with them at all. Clubs like these are great and from what i consider to be the 'Golden Era' of Golf (70's & 80's).

I played with persimmon woods and blades back in the 70’s. I used my old 70’s vintage clubs last year for a few rounds before I got a set of cavity back irons and graphite shafted metal woods. My scores didn’t change noticeably. I think many would be surprised how well they’d do with those clubs today. Technology has improved modern clubs but players still shot pretty good scores back in the day using those “antiques” I was looking for ages to see if older players had a different view of what the outcome might be than guys who never played older clubs.

So I still have my original bought and paid for by me Wilson Staff irons from 1973. They actually have adjustable weight ports in high toe area...So a couple weeks ago I had set up my net in back yard and was hitting balls. I pulled out a few of the Staffs....I have 1i thru PW...I hit some balls...with my current gamers Cobra Forged Tec and these....This is what the deal is...My old Staff 5i WS the same length as the FT 7i....The lofts seemed near same as well. The heads are smaller on the WS. The FT are graphite with 65G shafts the WS have Dynamic Gold 130g shafts. Ultimately with solid strikes the 5i WS vs the FT 7i were not huge differences....But the FT were good strikes much more often. I'm 64 with low 90's swight speed on D.

I'm 56. With the modern ball, I think I'd play about the same really. With the old balata? Oof, when you'd catch a driver a little on the toe and it would hook off the planet...

My first set were gifted to me. An old persimmon wood and Ben Sayers blades that were so old they had dimples rather than grooves. I have an old set of Ping eye 2’s in the garage that I took to the range and was losing at least 20 yards, and these would be a damn sight easier to hit than old blades. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t break 90 round my home course. 47 years old.

Like others above I too grew up playing blades and woods made out of wood. I practice with old school blades every now and then so I son't think it would be as bad. Worse, yes, but not terrible.

I could never hit my Dad's blades. I'm 47 and regularly shoot in the high 70s/low 80s as a 10ish hcp. I would put very good money on the line that I would not break 100 using persimmon woods and vintage blades. I don't even need the week of practice:(

I’m 58. I do it once or twice a year with some persimmon woods (1,3,4,5) hogan apex and IMG iron master putter. Use a modern day ball though. I’m a 5 right now, and usually am in the mid eighties when I go retro. Also I always play the first course I ever played with my moms clubs Just for nostalgia. The 4 and 5 woods fill today’s hybrid needs and I putted with the img for a number of years so that’s no problem. Driver isn’t too bad cause I’m a short knocker anyway. Biggest challenge is the 3W And not having 3 wedges. My retro set only has PW.

I've done this exact thing on numerous occasions and shoot within the same range that I'd expect with modern equipment. The woods are the hardest part. Just really need a tee shot in play and go from there.

Back